Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

moving to new zealand

moving to new zealand

Old Feb 10th 2003, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

manilow is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool moving to new zealand

has anyone that has moved to New Zealand regreted moving there and if so why, we are due to move there in the next few weeks if we get our residency passed as my husband has been offered a job in Auckland and they want him to start a.s.a.p. having never been there is it really a wonderful place to live, half of the time i am all for the move then the doubts start to creep in, are the local people easy to get along with and do they soon make friends or do they consider you as outsiders, will the children adapt to moving to a new country and starting a new school where they don't know anyone, are we making the right decision leaving family and friends behind, does everyone think like this before they make the final decision.
susan
Old Feb 11th 2003, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: moving to new zealand

Originally posted by manilow
has anyone that has moved to New Zealand regreted moving there and if so why, we are due to move there in the next few weeks if we get our residency passed as my husband has been offered a job in Auckland and they want him to start a.s.a.p. having never been there is it really a wonderful place to live, half of the time i am all for the move then the doubts start to creep in, are the local people easy to get along with and do they soon make friends or do they consider you as outsiders, will the children adapt to moving to a new country and starting a new school where they don't know anyone, are we making the right decision leaving family and friends behind, does everyone think like this before they make the final decision.
susan
Old Feb 11th 2003, 5:56 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Muppet's attachment is a newspaper report showing many Kiwis go to work in Aus. Hardly surprising, that's one of our plans too once we have NZ passports. Not (we anticipate) because we won't like NZ but because we're sure we'll also like Aus and there are good work opportunities for our line of business, salaries tend to b higher, it's a bigger place with 5 times the NZ population and some has special places we've already visited and would like to see again in a leisurely way. Definitely not a vote of no confidence in NZ. I'd like to live in Spain a few years too but that doesn't mean I dislike the rest of the world.

Cheers - Don
Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

that link from muppetking proves nothing. many kiwis are tempted to spend time in aussie as it's so close to nz, they don't need any visa to live there, the culture is similar & its a good chance to spend time on their gr8 beaches.

we spent 3 years in sydney which was alot of fun. the majority of kiwis return after a few years.

mr muppetking would find something to moan about if he was stuck on a deserted island with anna kournikova.

Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jaffa30
that link from muppetking proves nothing. many kiwis are tempted to spend time in aussie as it's so close to nz, they don't need any visa to live there, the culture is similar & its a good chance to spend time on their gr8 beaches.

we spent 3 years in sydney which was alot of fun. the majority of kiwis return after a few years.

mr muppetking would find something to moan about if he was stuck on a deserted island with anna kournikova.

silly me! I thought it simply proved that many professionals seek employment abroad because the salaries here are so poor comparatively. OOOOOHH....and more personal insults! I must really get under your skin LOL
Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

speak for yourself. just because you're a poorly paid primary school teacher! what's that saying, those who can, do, those who can't, teach!!!

Under my skin? haha to the contrary, your continual factual errors add great amusement to my working day. thanks very much.

Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Of course I didn't actually say it proved ANYTHING! Just an interesting article. Or are you in to censorship?
Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

speak for yourself. just because you're a poorly paid primary school teacher! what's that saying, those who can, do, those who can't, teach!!!

Under my skin? haha to the contrary, your continual factual errors add great amusement to my working day. thanks very much.

show me a factual error
Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

of course salaries in a country as small as nz are not going to be as large as in the USA etc. if you are intelligent & an achiever, six figures are very obtainable.

Correcting your factual errors from past posts doesn't classify as censorship.
Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:40 am
Just Joined

arthurm is an unknown quantity at this point

in several years here i've met lots of people from england and scotland and they all prefer life here to the UK. it's not paradise by any means but for most people the quality of life here is better. i've often wondered how many people do go back home again. it seems that less than 25% of brits leave new zealand within the first 5 years here and after that less than 10% leave.

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealand...tOutcomes.html

considering homesickness and just finding that you can't cope with life overseas for a variety of reasons i reckon that's not bad.
Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

lots of examples:

(1) one thread you said a young driver crashed a car driving 180kms on a country road...shock horror! then a subsequent poster pointed out the correct speed was 120kms & it was a four-laned road!

(2) you said 1 in 4 high school students leave school with no formal qualifications. wrong again, as it was pointed out to you that the correct figure is 1 in 6.

(3) you thought the nz education system was substandard, yet it was pointed out that nz ranks 5th in the OECD for academic performance.

(4) you said motorcyclists are terrible drivers & they have no right to make comments on the subject. until a poster then rightly pointed out that motorcyclists have to actually take greater care on the road as if they crash, injuries are alot more likely than someone in a car.

i could write a book on this subject

Old Feb 11th 2003, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lots of examples:

(1) one thread you said a young driver crashed a car driving 180kms on a country road...shock horror! then a subsequent poster pointed out the correct speed was 120kms & it was a four-laned road!

(2) you said 1 in 4 high school students leave school with no formal qualifications. wrong again, as it was pointed out to you that the correct figure is 1 in 6.

(3) you thought the nz education system was substandard, yet it was pointed out that nz ranks 5th in the OECD for academic performance.

(4) you said motorcyclists are terrible drivers & they have no right to make comments on the subject. until a poster then rightly pointed out that motorcyclists have to actually take greater care on the road as if they crash, injuries are alot more likely than someone in a car.

i could write a book on this subject

I don't think it will sell very well but....if you must XX
Old Feb 11th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

of course salaries in a country as small as nz are not going to be as large as in the USA etc. if you are intelligent & an achiever, six figures are very obtainable.

Correcting your factual errors from past posts doesn't classify as censorship.
ergo anyone not earning a 6 figure salary must be an unintelligent underachiever! How shallow.
Old Feb 11th 2003, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

wrong yet again muppet.

i said 6 figures are obtainable. "are obtainable" means it is POSSIBLE if you have intelligence and are an achiever. not all people who are intelligent achievers can achieve it, as they may have other priorities in life or may have occupations which have a limited salary range.
Old Feb 11th 2003, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

this constant bickering between Muppet King and Jaffa is about as interesting as all those awful threads that get hijacked by PB and the people who can be bothered arguing with him. Can't the two of you, MK and Jaffa do your bickering via email and let the rest of us get on withwhat this forum is supposedly about, helping each other out.

This last thread which started with a very interesting question about how many immigrants actually leave NZ again has totally veered off course, like so many threads that get taken over by these mudslingers. A pity, really.

sashimi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.