Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

moving to be near daughter

moving to be near daughter

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:36 am
Just Joined

yorkshirerosie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to be near daughter

we recently visited NZ to see my husbands 12 year old daughter and as we had already decided to move to Oz if possible, we have now thought we may try NZ instead. What I am wanting to know is if we wait 2 years until she has residency, can she then act as our sponsor and does this automatically mean we will be accepted?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:16 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: moving to be near daughter

Originally Posted by yorkshirerosie
we recently visited NZ to see my husbands 12 year old daughter and as we had already decided to move to Oz if possible, we have now thought we may try NZ instead. What I am wanting to know is if we wait 2 years until she has residency, can she then act as our sponsor and does this automatically mean we will be accepted?
No. Nothing is automatic.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:23 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

She's only 12? I think only adults can sponsor?...

Does either of you have any other children in the UK?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Maz
She's only 12? I think only adults can sponsor?...

Does either of you have any other children in the UK?
no she only moved out a year ago, I assumed she would be able to sponsor, it never crossed my mine that you had to be of a certain age.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

no she only moved out a year ago, I assumed she would be able to sponsor, it never crossed my mine that you had to be of a certain age.
yeas we have 2 sons aged 4 and 7 months
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:49 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

To sponsor you your daughter would have to be a resident for a minimum of three years first. She would also have to show that she has the means to support you. That's a lot to ask of a young kid, eh? Nope, can't see it happening near term.

You'd be better off applying for residency in New Zealand on your own merits.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happynz
To sponsor you your daughter would have to be a resident for a minimum of three years first. She would also have to show that she has the means to support you. That's a lot to ask of a young kid, eh? Nope, can't see it happening near term.

You'd be better off applying for residency in New Zealand on your own merits.
just checked and she has to be 16 or over so it will be a few years wait, I have checked the skills list and we don't have any jobs on there. the job my husband has been offered is drving a hgv but he wont have the 3 years experience as we were going to put him in for his test before leaving UK if we were accepted. he is in a good job now so does not want to leave for another job driving. doesn't look good for us.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:16 am

...doesn't look good for us.
I'm afraid you are right. Sorry.