British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   moving to be near daughter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-near-daughter-515217/)

yorkshirerosie Feb 18th 2008 9:36 am

moving to be near daughter

we recently visited NZ to see my husbands 12 year old daughter and as we had already decided to move to Oz if possible, we have now thought we may try NZ instead. What I am wanting to know is if we wait 2 years until she has residency, can she then act as our sponsor and does this automatically mean we will be accepted?

happynz Feb 18th 2008 10:16 am

Re: moving to be near daughter

Originally Posted by yorkshirerosie (Post 5948117)
we recently visited NZ to see my husbands 12 year old daughter and as we had already decided to move to Oz if possible, we have now thought we may try NZ instead. What I am wanting to know is if we wait 2 years until she has residency, can she then act as our sponsor and does this automatically mean we will be accepted?

No. Nothing is automatic.

Maz Feb 18th 2008 10:23 am

She's only 12? I think only adults can sponsor?...

Does either of you have any other children in the UK?

yorkshirerosie Feb 18th 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5948284)
She's only 12? I think only adults can sponsor?...

Does either of you have any other children in the UK?

no she only moved out a year ago, I assumed she would be able to sponsor, it never crossed my mine that you had to be of a certain age.

yorkshirerosie Feb 18th 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by yorkshirerosie (Post 5948333)
no she only moved out a year ago, I assumed she would be able to sponsor, it never crossed my mine that you had to be of a certain age.

yeas we have 2 sons aged 4 and 7 months

happynz Feb 18th 2008 10:49 am

To sponsor you your daughter would have to be a resident for a minimum of three years first. She would also have to show that she has the means to support you. That's a lot to ask of a young kid, eh? Nope, can't see it happening near term.

You'd be better off applying for residency in New Zealand on your own merits.

yorkshirerosie Feb 18th 2008 11:11 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5948386)
To sponsor you your daughter would have to be a resident for a minimum of three years first. She would also have to show that she has the means to support you. That's a lot to ask of a young kid, eh? Nope, can't see it happening near term.

You'd be better off applying for residency in New Zealand on your own merits.

just checked and she has to be 16 or over so it will be a few years wait, I have checked the skills list and we don't have any jobs on there. the job my husband has been offered is drving a hgv but he wont have the 3 years experience as we were going to put him in for his test before leaving UK if we were accepted. he is in a good job now so does not want to leave for another job driving. doesn't look good for us.

happynz Feb 18th 2008 11:16 am

Originally Posted by yorkshirerosie (Post 5948454)
...doesn't look good for us.

I'm afraid you are right. Sorry.