Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving with A Level/IB aged children

Moving with A Level/IB aged children

Old Jan 26th 2014, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with A Level/IB aged children

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Getting NCEA1 maths is part of UE, and will make uni applications much more straightforward. Some of the UE stuff is quite recent - and there are slight changesf or this year's cohort too. The previous poster might have had a kid come in before UE was defined in this way, but also they might have been aiming for a uni/ course that the school knew would consider her GCSE maths as equivalent to UE component.

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...sity-entrance/
No, our son is at Vic, just going into his second year doing a double Bach of science and international business. And he didn't need the NCEA level math or English. He did do his level 3 in NZ. But we contacted the Uni direct an they accepted the gcse level in math and English.
The school did tried to tell me that he needed the NCEA math, but when I contacted the Uni they said his UK results were fine
kaz
Old Jan 26th 2014, 5:55 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thats's great and great he knew what he wanted to do so you could contact the uni and sort it!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confusedkiwigirl
Trafford, it is so interesting reading some of your past posts. You sound as though you went through a very similar thought process as we (particularly me) are going through now, and like your daughter, mine also wants to do medicine! I've been looking at St Cuthberts for IB and EGGS for NCEA, both of which look good, I think. Also, living in that general area would then allow our 6 year old to eventually go to Auckland Grammar. I love the 'boarding school' attitude your daughter has adopted - a great coping strategy when it gets tough!

All the best for your new chapter in NZ, I really hope you settle in quickly and this time next year we'll be there too!
Thank you confusedkiwigirl. I hope we settle in too! My daughter is spending mornings videocalling friends in the UK, and the afternoons crying because she misses them so much. So the “coping strategy” hasn’t kicked in as yet! Early days, however. I visited St Cuthberts last year and was very impressed with them. I ended up enrolling her in Diocesan after talking to some of my sisters work colleagues who were past pupils. She also had the choice of Kings College with her brother (they accept girls in Years 12 and 13), but after visiting it she decided that the masculine environment would not suit her.

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
She starts IB next week - we're very proud of her amd how she has adapted (the actual results are just a bonus), and she is proof that it isn't necessarily terrible and dreadful to shift teens. Good luck to those doing it - just keep talking, listening, listening, listening with your teen.
You must be very proud of her resilience and commitment bourbon-biscuit. And it is a relief to hear you say that it is possible to shift teens. I want to thank you for the ray of hope you have offered me in these early tumultuous days.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it all works out for you returning kiwis. Did any of you watch the Clanahan Family on wanted down under? Was about an Australian women wanting to return to Australia and her partner wanting to stay in Scotland. There was also one on the Schnell family going to NZ but I missed that one.

Last edited by westie1234; Jan 27th 2014 at 10:21 am.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

confusedkiwigirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by westie1234
Hope it all works out for you returning kiwis. Did any of you watch the Clanahan Family on wanted down under? Was about an Australian women wanting to return to Australia and her partner wanting to stay in Scotland. There was also one on the Schnell family going to NZ but I missed that one.
Yes! I'm quite obsessed with that show at the moment - I get the FB updates and everything, (sad, I know).
I really sympathised with Leah Clanahan, so much of what she said is exactly how I feel. I gather they still haven't made the move. I know we can all be experts on other people's lives, but they should go while the children are young!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by confusedkiwigirl
Yes! I'm quite obsessed with that show at the moment - I get the FB updates and everything, (sad, I know).
I really sympathised with Leah Clanahan, so much of what she said is exactly how I feel. I gather they still haven't made the move. I know we can all be experts on other people's lives, but they should go while the children are young!
Yeah, I saw that he didn't manage to get a job offer from a post on FB. It looked like it has driven her into depression.
I have resigned to staying in UK as my partner doesn't want to move to NZ.
Just have to make the best of it and move when the kids are older.