Reload this Page >

Moving to Invercargill

Moving to Invercargill

Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:45 am
Just Joined

janaka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Invercargill

Hi,

I'm Janaka Ranasinghe and I'm from Sri Lanka. My wife is going to follow post gradate diploma in Business Enterprise at SIT Invercargill. Since this is level 8 program I will get full time work visa and my kid will have a chance to study for domestic student rate. We are planning to move to Invercargill. We have 4 years old son. Currently I'm working for a Microsoft Distributor/LAR as a BDM. I have more than 12 years experience in sales and marketing related to IT products. Also have some IT technical knowledge. (MCSA) Please advise us about the job market, living expenses, house rent etc.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving to Invercargill

Originally Posted by janaka02
Hi,

I'm Janaka Ranasinghe and I'm from Sri Lanka. My wife is going to follow post gradate diploma in Business Enterprise at SIT Invercargill. Since this is level 8 program I will get full time work visa and my kid will have a chance to study for domestic student rate. We are planning to move to Invercargill. We have 4 years old son. Currently I'm working for a Microsoft Distributor/LAR as a BDM. I have more than 12 years experience in sales and marketing related to IT products. Also have some IT technical knowledge. (MCSA) Please advise us about the job market, living expenses, house rent etc.
Hi there and welcome to this little New Zealand forum.

There are a couple of folk on this forum living down in Invercargill & hopefully they will be along soon.

My husband and I spent 3 weeks travelling the tourist routes in Sri Lanka back around 2002 or so. Wonderful place from our eyes as visitors. Loved it .
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Hi Bevs,

Thanks for the reply. Yes Sri Lanka is a nice country but the problem is living expenses are very high comparing to our salaries.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. I live in Invercargill, have been here for 18 mths, originally English. I did a cost of living chart, comparing it with England, which isn't too useful, but all the NZ costs will be, for you at least. Cost of living comparison | Journey to New Zealand

The job market is small, as is the population. Most jobs are advertised on Trade Me, Seek or in the Southland Times. The paper is published by fairfax media and you can subscribe to get it online. Jobs go in on Wed and Sat.

Schools have been zoned so be careful where you choose to live, it will determine the school for your son. If you need advice on that, let me know.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:31 am
Just Joined

HI Mand M,

Thanks for the advise. I will contact you to select a location when we are ready to move. Thanks again.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

AdeleSa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janaka02
Hi,

Hi Janaka,..

I am a Maldivian national currently residing in Sri Lanka and I am also planning to join the same business enterprise course offered at SIT. . I am curious to know how did it go at your end.

How was the course ? How is living in invercargill ? Are there jobs for foreigners ? Anyone living in invercargill, I'd appreciate if you could help me out with some info about jobs in invercargill.

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:39 am
Just Joined

RichieRich80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cold as hell down there.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the Maldives on honeymoon back in 2008. Stunning place. Can't imagine Maldivians or Sri Lankans trying to survive in the temperatures of Invercargill during winter. Brrr!!! Makes me shiver just thinking about it.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:51 am
Just Joined

RichieRich80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah bugger that, cold hole.