Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

Old Aug 14th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of
Default Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

First time poster, long time reader (well for the last hour anyway).

We're moving to Hamilton in Oct, missus has a job at the hospital (I haven't got a job yet, though looking at some of the vacancies I could probably get one as a shepherds crook or something!). Was wondering if anyone can advise on which suburb(s) we should be looking at to live in convenient for her job. Will be renting first, buying later. The hospital will pay for 2 weeks in a motel when we get there, so time to look for a house then. Also need to find a school for our 10 yr old.

No doubt there's already a thread about this somewhere here but unfortunately I've had a sudden attack of the lazies and the PC screen is trying to pull me in! If there is already one that you know of can you tell me what the title is, save anyone having to repeat themselves just for me.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

Originally Posted by StevieB

We're moving to Hamilton in Oct, missus has a job at the hospital (I haven't got a job yet, though looking at some of the vacancies I could probably get one as a shepherds crook or something!). Was wondering if anyone can advise on which suburb(s) we should be looking at to live in convenient for her job. Will be renting first, buying later. The hospital will pay for 2 weeks in a motel when we get there, so time to look for a house then. Also need to find a school for our 10 yr old.

No doubt there's already a thread about this somewhere here but unfortunately I've had a sudden attack of the lazies and the PC screen is trying to pull me in! If there is already one that you know of can you tell me what the title is, save anyone having to repeat themselves just for me.

Thanks in advance
Got to admit mate-not seen too many recently about Hamilton,but hang in there-it'll spark something soon. Don't let the thread fall too far down the list,if you reply regularly on it-it keeps it where people see it. Good luck. Dan
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny.f
Got to admit mate-not seen too many recently about Hamilton,but hang in there-it'll spark something soon. Don't let the thread fall too far down the list,if you reply regularly on it-it keeps it where people see it. Good luck. Dan
Thanks Dan. It looks like the place everyone is heading is Wellington, you got something going on there? It all seems very farm related in Hamilton (although I do hear there is an interesting thing you can do with a sheep, a cow, a tube of Evo-stick and a rubber sheet!). Hopefully someone out there will be able to help. Read the appreciation thread by the way, quite a fan club you got going there!
Old Aug 14th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dan. It looks like the place everyone is heading is Wellington, you got something going on there? It all seems very farm related in Hamilton (although I do hear there is an interesting thing you can do with a sheep, a cow, a tube of Evo-stick and a rubber sheet!). Hopefully someone out there will be able to help. Read the appreciation thread by the way, quite a fan club you got going there!
It's only cos I swear!
There was a sister on our ward who swore she would rather go to Hamilton than anywhere else,but we never actually got there. The majority seem to go to Auckland,but it's a little too big for us,Wellington's just right for what we need!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Thanks in advance
Hi Stevie,
I am in Tauranga and my wife is a ward manager in the city hospital. Been here since Oct last year and living in Tauranga since January. I have visited Hamilton and my wife tells me that it has one of the biggest hospitals around the area. Hamilton defintely has much better shopping and nightlife than where we are but then it is not near the sea etc.
If you need some advice on renting/buying a house then let me know. We have done both!
Good luck!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi Stevie,
I am in Tauranga and my wife is a ward manager in the city hospital. Been here since Oct last year and living in Tauranga since January. I have visited Hamilton and my wife tells me that it has one of the biggest hospitals around the area. Hamilton defintely has much better shopping and nightlife than where we are but then it is not near the sea etc.
If you need some advice on renting/buying a house then let me know. We have done both!
Good luck!
Thanks Paul. Any advice you may have on renting will be gratefully received.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Paul. Any advice you may have on renting will be gratefully received.
BE member "firing1" is living in Hamilton- you could send him a PM. He has replied to several of my questions and pm'd me.
He works for 'kiwi ora' a gov. agency who help with settling people into NZ.

HTH
helinuk
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helinuk
BE member "firing1" is living in Hamilton- you could send him a PM. He has replied to several of my questions and pm'd me.
He works for 'kiwi ora' a gov. agency who help with settling people into NZ.

HTH
helinuk
Thanks helinuk, that's great. I've just pm'd him so hopefully I'll get a reply soon....hey, I have a star!
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

Hi there, we lived in Hamilton for 8 years. St Andrews, Berescourt, Pukete are all good areas, handy for town, close to the river for walks, and the golf course if you play. My kids went to Te Rapa primary school, which was quite good.
If you want to be closer to the hospital, Melville, Forest Lake, areas are not bad. Would keep clear of some of the more outlying areas, as if you have to cross the river at peak times it can be a total nightmare, but that is only my point of view, no doubt someone else will say different.
Look on internet for Harcouts, Century 21, real estate agencys.
Hamilton is a nice city, with just about eveything you could want, we did enjoy the time we spent there. Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linda Maxwell
Hi there, we lived in Hamilton for 8 years. St Andrews, Berescourt, Pukete are all good areas, handy for town, close to the river for walks, and the golf course if you play. My kids went to Te Rapa primary school, which was quite good.
If you want to be closer to the hospital, Melville, Forest Lake, areas are not bad. Would keep clear of some of the more outlying areas, as if you have to cross the river at peak times it can be a total nightmare, but that is only my point of view, no doubt someone else will say different.
Look on internet for Harcouts, Century 21, real estate agencys.
Hamilton is a nice city, with just about eveything you could want, we did enjoy the time we spent there. Good luck.
Thanks Linda. My BH has actually been looking at houses in St Andrews, Pukete and I did have a look at the Te Rapa school report, which seemed quite good. Also I do play golf so this is sounding quite promising. How far are these areas from the hospital? Is it walking/cycling distance or driving distance, what about from shopping areas, Drs, dentists, I imagine it's pretty well served.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

would say that you are in the right area then. The hospital is well within driving distance, 10mins, 15 at peak times. Doctors and dentists are easy reach, as is the town centre, but the new industrial centre with big shops and a supermarket is on Te Rapa straight (road) north of the city, you are well placed for everything. Te Rapa school is quite a new school 10years maybe, I worked there for 2 years. The high school area that you will be in is not so god though, and I would do some research and get your childs name down for a good school, we had to pay for private school in the end for our 2. But they are supposed to be building a new high school in Flagstaff that will serve the area, dont know if it is built yet though, as we have been back for 18 months now.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Linda Maxwell
would say that you are in the right area then. The hospital is well within driving distance, 10mins, 15 at peak times. Doctors and dentists are easy reach, as is the town centre, but the new industrial centre with big shops and a supermarket is on Te Rapa straight (road) north of the city, you are well placed for everything. Te Rapa school is quite a new school 10years maybe, I worked there for 2 years. The high school area that you will be in is not so god though, and I would do some research and get your childs name down for a good school, we had to pay for private school in the end for our 2. But they are supposed to be building a new high school in Flagstaff that will serve the area, dont know if it is built yet though, as we have been back for 18 months now.
Cheers Linda, some good info. I'll bear in mind about the high school, but we will still have her final year at primary/intermiediate to go through, so that's not an immediate challenge for my brain, which to be honest is nearing overload with everything else!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me if our 10 yr old will need a student visa if we have permanent residency? Also still any other advice on renting and Hamilton in general.

Karen B
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can anyone tell me if our 10 yr old will need a student visa if we have permanent residency? Also still any other advice on renting and Hamilton in general.

Karen B
Karen,
there is a Hamilton website - have you been on that?
Donna
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danny.f
Karen,
there is a Hamilton website - have you been on that?
Donna
Yes I found that, it has some good info, but you always need the personal touch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.