Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Hamilton...any advice?

Originally Posted by karonious
I, like the estimable DannyF am tending to the sick and needy on night shift, so had best be awake!
Just said to Steve today I would like to think about owning a horse at some point in the future, probably once the girl has learnt a huge amount more. She spent 3 days last doing a pony camp at her local riding school, so she would tell you she is capable now. She is only 10 and doesn't understand it's not that much fun mucking out in the dark in the middle of winter, or riding in the driving rain.
I don't often look at the NZ forum (I'm an expat in the US) but this thread caught my eye as my 18 year old daughter left home today to start her 'gap' year in Hamilton. She'll be working at a school in the city, but she's also a horse lover, so she'll be happy to land there by the sound of things!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janj
I don't often look at the NZ forum (I'm an expat in the US) but this thread caught my eye as my 18 year old daughter left home today to start her 'gap' year in Hamilton. She'll be working at a school in the city, but she's also a horse lover, so she'll be happy to land there by the sound of things!!
Yep. Sounds like a great place for the horsey types. I haven't been one of those since I left parents home nearly 25 years ago. Suppose I'll have to get back into it again. Right, I'm off back to the bar
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Cambridge is not too far from Hamilton and is a nice place to live I believe.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Roger
Cambridge is not too far from Hamilton and is a nice place to live I believe.
Hi Roger. Yeah, I've been getting that impression and I wouldn't mind living that far out. However, wife will be bread winner for a while and hates driving at the best of times, so we'll probably be living on the hospital roof to begin with!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:43 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
Hi Roger. Yeah, I've been getting that impression and I wouldn't mind living that far out. However, wife will be bread winner for a while and hates driving at the best of times, so we'll probably be living on the hospital roof to begin with!!
You are in so much trouble!
No he's right, I do hate driving somwhere I don't know - and I would prefer to live out towards the coast if not right on the coast. Need to get there and see.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:43 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karonious
You are in so much trouble!
No he's right, I do hate driving somwhere I don't know - and I would prefer to live out towards the coast if not right on the coast. Need to get there and see.
If you like cambridge you are the right side to get to the hospital along State Highway 1B (SH1)

I live 13 ks from Cambridge and 10ks from hammy. It takes my OH 20 mins in a busy time so it would take you half hour at the most from Cambridge.
Well gotta go get my stuff ready - riding at the beach tomorrow (Waihi).

Hope you do like it here.

Out towards the coast from Hammy is Raglan by the way. The road is not great though. It's called the Deviation - as it deviates here, there and everywhere - great scenery and quite hilly.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:48 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=karonious]I, like the estimable DannyF am tending to the sick and needy on night shift, so had best be awake!
Just said to Steve today I would like to think about owning a horse at some point in the future, probably once the girl has learnt a huge amount more. She spent 3 days last doing a pony camp at her local riding school, so she would tell you she is capable now. She is only 10 and doesn't understand it's not that much fun mucking

Mucking out is more or less unheard of here. They tend to keep them out all year (most people). It was the same in Oz and they don't really give them much shelter and keep their 'covers' (I still call em rugs) on for ages. It was the same in Oz though - it's much easier on the animals here than Oz though but Oz has it's advantages.... won't go into those here.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

anyone fancy a cold one
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:14 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by futurama
anyone fancy a cold one
somehow, you have managed to post on the wrong thread Ian, this is the one that StevieB started about a year ago, not the recent one
Anyway:in response to your last post:
adjourn to the Kiwi Bar for the proverbial cold one:
speak shite; introduce incidental topics without the need for a new thread; hang out; chill;

Last edited by karonious; Aug 3rd 2007 at 11:31 am. Reason: spelling!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

God I turn up in the strangest places when im pissed