Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

moving to dunedin - january

moving to dunedin - january

Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:25 am
Just Joined

tracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to all
Question moving to dunedin - january

Hello everyone

Thought I would just say hi, we are hoping to move to Dunedin in January, currently looking at areas to live. We have two school-age children, age 9 and 14. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for locations to rent a family home in? Want an area that feels rural, but not too far from everything, with a community feel to it.

Have heard Macandrew Bay, Mosgiel, Ocean Grove ok, what about Musselborough or Andersons Bay? All feedback good, positive or negative.

Will need to travel to Dunedin Hospital daily, so do not want to commute too far, part of reason moving to NZ is to get away from the hour long commute to work, traffic jams etc ...

Also, need to find a primary and a High School, looking at Bayfield? Any views?

*** Does anyone know if UK TV's (digital) work in NZ as would like to take ours if it does?

All replies greatly appreciated ...

Thanks,

TracyJ & family

Last edited by tracy.j; Oct 31st 2010 at 10:27 am.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:18 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of
Default Re: moving to dunedin - january

Hi I am in Dunedin and live in Vauxhall/Waverley area which are next to Andersons Bay and Musselburgh. Both are nice areas to live in. Both have good primary schools Andersons Bay and Grants Braes in Waverley are both good. Not sure about Bayfield but from what I here from friends who have their kids there its ok. Plenty of rental properties in this area. Hopefully somebody else will be along soon to add more info but please ask away if you have any other questions. The bus service is quite good to the hospital and CBD. Good luck
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

tracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to alltracy.j is a name known to all
Smile Re: moving to dunedin - january

Thanks alot for taking the time to reply to me question, all local info. is good to have.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I live in Andersons Bay and kids 8 & 10 go to Grants Braes. Musselburgh is also nice but would say try to get somewhere not on the flat as in Winter all the smoke from the woodfires tends to hang there. Bayfield is ok from what I hear but you can choose which High School you go to,not necessarily the one closest to you.

You can be in town from these areas in less than 10 mins in a car,Mac Bay a wee bit longer maybe 20 or so. I work at the hospital too and can be at my car parking area in 6 mins in the morning,then a 5 min walk to the hospital. That is for a 0700 start I leave at 0625 and in work no later than 0640.

If there is anything else you want to know just ask on here or send a PM.

Phyl x
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

jaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nice

Hi,
I am actually heading to auckland as soon as i get visa in passport!!!! But I have family in dunedin and have spent loads of time there. They live in waverley which is very close to andersons bay and musselborough. I think the schools all have a good name. My aunt used to teach at bayfield and all my cousins went there (many years ago now!!!!). The area is very close to the beaches and equally close to get down the fantastic otago peninsula....i would recommend it!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:55 am
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

well travelled kiwis just laugh when asked about dunedin; in the same way that well travelled americans and aussies laugh when asked about new zealand.

i never understood what that laugh meant until I moved to N.Z....
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

draig is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracy

Andy bay is nice - just try to get a house that gets at least some sun in the winter as most homes are not well insulated, with no double glazing and poor heating. It can get cold in the winter (not as cold as the UK has been recently though!). The southern suburbs of Fairfield, Waldronville, ocean view and brighton are also nice - paricularly if you like rural / beach lifestyle.
Traffic jams - If you can't get from one end of town to the other in less than 10 to 15 minutes in the 'rush hour' then something is WRONG.
Good luck - hope your move goes well - safe travels.

Wynn
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for your post, very helpful, still waiting for visa, hopefully by the end of the week! (fingers crossed)
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

draig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tracy.j
Thankyou for your post, very helpful, still waiting for visa, hopefully by the end of the week! (fingers crossed)
No worries!
Waiting on the blue stickers eh - I remember it well.
We have been here 5 years and are now awaiting a decision on citizenship - so we also have our fingers crossed. Hope all goes well for you.

Wynn