British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   moving to Dunedin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-dunedin-646752/)

tutti Dec 31st 2009 9:49 am

moving to Dunedin

Hi all.
Happy new year!!!
Will be moving soon to Dunedin.Which are the best primary schools for my 2 daughters (8 and 5.5 years). Somewhere not far from the dental school?
Thank you:)

pieface Dec 31st 2009 11:58 am

Re: moving to Dunedin

The Dental School is very central, there aren't really any primary schools in the city centre. The nearest would be George Street Normal School or Arthur Street School. They are decile 9 & 8 respectively.

I actually went to George Street as a child for a time. So I can vouch for it from that perspective. Mind you, that was 25 years ago!

tutti Dec 31st 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by pieface (Post 8208505)
The Dental School is very central, there aren't really any primary schools in the city centre. The nearest would be George Street Normal School or Arthur Street School. They are decile 9 & 8 respectively.

I actually went to George Street as a child for a time. So I can vouch for it from that perspective. Mind you, that was 25 years ago!

thank you pieface for your reply and happy new year.
I dont mind living a bit far if the schooling levels there are better. So PLEEEEEASE give me more advice....

george toni Dec 31st 2009 8:17 pm

Hi

Yep there are heaps of schools here and TBH it reall is a quick journey to get from one end of town to the other so most if not all schools could be considered.

Two of my four daughters now aged 11 and 10 both went to (one now left) to Wakari school.One since the age of 5 and have both really done well and loved it there.

I dont have a clue about points 8 this or 9 that but can say that the atmosphere,teachers,facilities and all aspects of the school are great.

I dont think points make prizes and would be carefull about choosing a school based on them alone.

You will be able at most schools to have a trial day and see how the children get on.

At Wakari they had a buddy system going and I can say that the girls fitted in really well from day one.

Have you looked at areas to live in? We live in Craighall crescent in Wakari,snobs would call it Ballmacewan but its Wakari. Google map street view it ours is the one with the Mr Green trailer outside.43

Good luck and should you need any help advice feel free to ask away.Dunedin is a great place.

George 43 toni 41 emma 20 ,katie 17 becky 11 and lucy 10

weejie Jan 1st 2010 3:41 am

Hi there

We moved here in July and live in Andersons Bay. I am a nurse at DPH ( across the road from the dental school )and on a bad day it takes me 10 mins to get to work:p My kids ( boys aged 9 and 7 ) go to Grants Braes which is a decile 10 school,although to be honest this has nothing to do with the school....it is based on the social economic set up of the parents whose kids attend.

So far we have nothing but praise for the school and they were happy to communicate with us from the UK. They also do a buddy system and my boys settled in right away. they have excellent playground facilities,better than some parks in Scotland! The teachers are very friendly,like you to call them by their first names and are happy to talk to you or communicate via e-mail at any time. I know of some people who travel from Halfway Bush and Helensburgh on the other side of the city and it takes them a max of 20 mins to get to school in the morning. Why not look here

http://www.ero.govt.nz

which gives you the reports for all the schools.Decide which area you want to live in then look at google maps/earth and see where they are in the city.
As George says it does not take long to get from one side of Dunedin to the other. HTH

Phyl x

tutti Jan 1st 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by george toni (Post 8209638)
Hi

Yep there are heaps of schools here and TBH it reall is a quick journey to get from one end of town to the other so most if not all schools could be considered.

Two of my four daughters now aged 11 and 10 both went to (one now left) to Wakari school.One since the age of 5 and have both really done well and loved it there.

I dont have a clue about points 8 this or 9 that but can say that the atmosphere,teachers,facilities and all aspects of the school are great.

I dont think points make prizes and would be carefull about choosing a school based on them alone.

You will be able at most schools to have a trial day and see how the children get on.

At Wakari they had a buddy system going and I can say that the girls fitted in really well from day one.

Have you looked at areas to live in? We live in Craighall crescent in Wakari,snobs would call it Ballmacewan but its Wakari. Google map street view it ours is the one with the Mr Green trailer outside.43

Good luck and should you need any help advice feel free to ask away.Dunedin is a great place.

George 43 toni 41 emma 20 ,katie 17 becky 11 and lucy 10

Dear George, toni, and Phyl. Thanks a million for your kind replies, it helps knowing that there are nice people like you in Dunedin. I am a happy person who loves happy people like you
take care
hope to meet you when I come to Dunedin
Take care

george toni Jan 1st 2010 5:42 pm

no problems.

you will find plenty of happy people down here in Dunedin as on the whole its a freindly place!

It's your adventure and im not one to step on toes but if you need any advice or help just ask away.

happy new year

george