Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Dunedin [moved from intro forum]

Moving to Dunedin [moved from intro forum]

Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Steez1982 will become famous soon enoughSteez1982 will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Dunedin [moved from intro forum]

Well hello everyone. I'm Irish, female, 27 and have spent the past few years living in Canada. But as of April I'm moving to Dunedin to start my PhD at the Uni of Otago so I'll be in NZ for at least the next three years.

So...where to start in my new life? I love snowsports, hiking, running, anything outdoorsy and would like to get into hunting (not trophy hunting though - I'll actually eat what I shoot) and fishing while I'm in NZ. Would like to live as rural as I can while in Dunedin. Any suggestions on good areas? How to meet people etc?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:53 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Dunedin [moved from intro forum]

Hi

Dunedin has a few outlying communities which allow you to live rurally while not being too far from town. For example another poster Fooferfish lives near to Outram about 20-25min from town, and from there you are pretty close to some good forest areas up the Waipori Valley or in the Silverpeaks Forest. Other places to look at include Brighton, Waitati or Waikouaiti/Karitane.

Then again, and its only my opinion, if I had the choice I would live in town and bus, bike or walk to uni, and save the driving for weekend trips out and about.

From the city there are some great day walks around the local mountains, beaches and the peninsular, and the Central Otago (Queenstown/Wanaka) skifields are about 3.5 hours away while the Mackenzie Basin/Mid Canterbury ones are about the same or a bit more. The fields are not what you're probably use to from Canada, but there is a good choice from basic club fields to larger full service ones.

Hope the above helps, and please feel free to ask if you have any other queries or even want to meet a friendly face when you first arrive .
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:55 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Nige (Fooferfish) will I'm sure steer you in the right direction on fishing when he spots your post - he's taken up flyfishing and seems to be hooked. I have meant to do the same myself but a young family doesn't allow me much time for such frivolity
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Or you could try the otago peninsula and have a spot of sea fishing
We live there and its a good spot.

I am ex uni so feel free to drop me a line