British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   which moving company (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-company-865505/)

donutt Sep 21st 2015 12:02 pm

which moving company

hi me again so which moving company is the best need some advice here cheers d:thumbsup:

allyokay Sep 21st 2015 3:10 pm

Re: which moving company

We had Whites, Anglo Pacific and a local company called Binnings. Anglo Pacific were by far the most professional with answers to all of our questions but they were about £800 more expensive than Whites. Think we'll probably go with AP if we can get them down a bit. I think AP quoted £6,400 including the car.

Pigdog Sep 21st 2015 7:15 pm

Pickfords, under 5 grand for 3 bed house and motorbike. UK and NZ Pickfords both very helpful. Two boxes did go missing though, bloody annoying as it was most of our bedding, however, they did pay out and quickly.

BEVS Sep 22nd 2015 12:05 am

You can pit one against another to get the costs down a bit. White and Co are a franchise operation so you can even pit one office against another.Just be careful to ensure you are paying for a door to door service. .Also make sure that you have it in writing about what 'extra' possible customs and tax costs there may be this NZ end.If the final delivery will be by a third party - usually either White Van Lines or the Moving Company - ensure that you will not be charged a further 'service fee' for simply you filling in your own customs forms..You can also choose to not use their own marine insurance.Letton Percival for instance might be more cost effective but give quality cover.When your stuff is packed you will be given the bill of lading listing. Keep that with you in your paperwork to come with your to NZ. You will need it. Both for counting your goods in and also for filling out your tax/customs forms this end..Make sure you also have your own list of any goods that you have treated, sprayed or that customs might be interested in. Ensure you know which box those goods are in.Do not take as gospel what any moving company say you can/cannot bring into the country. Check here and also with MAF. Duff info is often given out.

Fasouri Sep 22nd 2015 2:44 am

Crown did an excellent job for us from Hong Kong

allyokay Sep 22nd 2015 9:28 am

Thanks BEVS especially for the insurance suggestion, I'm a bit miffed by the practice of naming everything you want insured and paying 3% of its value, you can bet your bottom dollar that boxes that aren't named will be the ones that go missing! Has anyone had experience of this, I want to, say, pay a £1000 (just speculation) and have everything insured for every eventuality? Is this possible? Are there any insurers who do this? By the way, managed to get Anglo Pacific down three hundred quid, if we can get the fast sailing for £6,100 we might just go with them. Whites & Co were much more vague when we asked them if things were possible where as AP explained clearly how things worked both here and NZ

BEVS Sep 22nd 2015 10:35 am

Why?
Just do what's needed and ensure your paperwork is up together . It's your goods after all , so your responsibility to do the necessary & in your best interest.
Sail times are around 6 weeks for ALL container shipping , unless it is groupage.

donutt Sep 23rd 2015 8:35 am

HI has Any one used John masons moving comp :starsmile:

Iggydoos Sep 23rd 2015 4:50 pm

I went with the cheapest quote, PSS, which was a thousand pounds less than Crown and Pickfords for a door to door service 20ft container from London to Christchurch. Their communication was excellecent and the 2 day removals went like clockwork with half a day to spare. They reduced their insurance rate significantly when I mentioned Lecton Percival (thanks to info from this forum). Container due to arrive at the end of November. Fingers crossed that everything is intact.

kirstyp Oct 2nd 2015 8:05 am

This post might help, you can download our guide to finding and choosing an international removal company to help you get the most from your money but also avoid common things that can lead to issues further down the line. http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...ompany-851592/

It includes tips and guides you through how to find companies and make your shortlist, how to get quotes that cover everything you want and prevent hidden costs, how to compare companies and the booking process.

Hope it helps.

allokay - insurance works different with different companies so ask each to explain how theirs work. In my opinion your best bet (both in terms of getting the best value insurance premium and protecting yourself in the event of a claim) is likely to be to take the time to do a full valuation and insure based on that. However, some companies offer a lump sum alternative policy where they base it on the volume of goods you're moving and you only have to itemise high value pieces. Make sure you ask your removal company to explain in detail their insurance options and how things will work in the event of a claim so you can be sure you're comfortable with the level of policy you take out.

RobDon Oct 2nd 2015 8:21 am

Originally Posted by donutt (Post 11755706)
HI has Any one used John masons moving comp :starsmile:

Hi there, we used John Mason, it was back in 2009 but could not fault them. :thumbsup:
We also took out their own insurance which was price matched with Letton Percival's. :thumbsup:

UktoNZ2016 Oct 2nd 2015 9:59 am

Has anyone used their own container?