Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Moving Company

The Moving Company

Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

educateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really nice
Angry The Moving Company

Our container was packed on the 9th January and it has now arrived in Auckland. It must have taken the slowest route here and we are now desperate to get a good nights sleep in our own bed. On Friday it will have been 14 weeks since the packers left.

The annoying thing is I have been off work the last 2 weeks (being a teacher) and have now been told that the MAF inspection will not be until next Tuesday. I will be back at work

The Moving Company are our movers at this end and they have told us that MAF want to inspect our goods at their premises as we are at a rural address. We have received an invoice from The Moving Company for a 'storage handling' fee of $850

This sounds like a crazy amount of money to me. We have told The Moving Company that we will pay MAF their fees direct but they want this for themselves.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? What do you recommend?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Moving Company

Originally Posted by educateer
Our container was packed on the 9th January and it has now arrived in Auckland. It must have taken the slowest route here and we are now desperate to get a good nights sleep in our own bed. On Friday it will have been 14 weeks since the packers left.

The annoying thing is I have been off work the last 2 weeks (being a teacher) and have now been told that the MAF inspection will not be until next Tuesday. I will be back at work

The Moving Company are our movers at this end and they have told us that MAF want to inspect our goods at their premises as we are at a rural address. We have received an invoice from The Moving Company for a 'storage handling' fee of $850

This sounds like a crazy amount of money to me. We have told The Moving Company that we will pay MAF their fees direct but they want this for themselves.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? What do you recommend?
sorry, haven't got time now to search for you - but DO try a search in this part of the forum - there are quite a few similar tales - some fairly recent, and with good advice attached to them… good luck
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ergh. and still it goes on.

Contest it and shout loud and hard.

Tell them you paid your UK shippers for door to door. Look at your fine print. Start shouting loudly at your UK shipper also.

Tell MAF you will be on the port when they do the inspection and will be there.

Tell Moving Company to stick it up their arse.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:27 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - $850 is extortionate!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

educateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really nice

We were invoiced the $850 after we told them that we will pay MAF directly.

That is almost a weeks wages for me. Thanks for the advice. I will update with the outcome. Any other recommendations welcome.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:18 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

when we moved over in 2007 our contract stated door-to-door delivery provided it was within 30km of our destination port, additional charges would be incurred for anything over that radius, plus MAF charge more depending on the distance they have to travel to inspect and depending on amount of items to inspect. We live just within the stipulated 30km radius but had to pay extra for MAF travel and they wanted to inspect 55 boxes so it cost us $485. I would check your original contract regarding door-to-door delivery and I'd also ring the UK office you used and ring MAF here direct to check on their charges.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

So if i understand correctly MAF decide at random who they are gonna inspect and get to charge for the privalage, nice work if u can get it

Neil
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:18 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

MAF check all containers and cars coming into the country. They picked out several boxes from our shipment that they wanted unpacked so they could see the contents and deem them either suitable, cleanable or destroyable!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Our container came into the country 2004. We had used White and Co. Portsmouth & The Moving Company was the third party here.

The Moving Company sent us a bill for $375 before the container was inspected . They stated it had to be paid in advance which we did.

We found out that our container wasn't inspected and that there were no MAF fees. Moving Company then tried to state the $375 was a service charge. As we had paid for a door to door service excluding just the MAF fees we complained loud and heartily both to Moving Company . To MAF To White and Co.
Within days the manager of Moving Company Christchurch changed tack and stated there had been a 'mistake' & refunded our complete $375.

Several other new migrants did the same thing at that time and obtained full refunds of the so-called service and storage fees.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:15 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
So if i understand correctly MAF decide at random who they are gonna inspect and get to charge for the privalage, nice work if u can get it

Neil
Yep, that is their job afterall and is the only unknown amount you should have before shipping your container over as it depends what MAF see on each individuals list that is of interest to them that needs inspecting to protect NZ biosecurity. Everyone coming should already be aware of the extra MAF charge which can't be quoted in advance so that bit isn't so much of a surprise.

What is though is when the third party company this end hits you with extra charges that should be covered in your original contract
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Well, it looks like we are going to have to pay the $850 to The Moving Company. Add the MAF fees on top of that and we will be looking at well over $1000 in total.

MAF will not allow our container to be delivered to our property without being inspected first as we are 'rural'.

John Masons have told us we have to pay and The Moving Company told us that it is additional work for them to unload everything and have to reload it again at their premises (which I kind of understand).

It makes me feel sick though. I didn't sleep much last night worrying about it. It is just so much money and the whole experience is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Plus we are tired - we want our bed. It has been 14 weeks.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:06 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

MAF will not allow our container to be delivered to our property without being inspected first as we are 'rural'.
The bit that sticks with me is that this requirement shouldn't have been a surprise, after all I'll bet MAF rules haven't changed and your house hasn't changed so it should have been predictable and you should have been warned about that extra potential cost....
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

karolinka is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, it looks like we are going to have to pay the $850 to The Moving Company. Add the MAF fees on top of that and we will be looking at well over $1000 in total.

John Masons have told us we have to pay and The Moving Company told us that it is additional work for them to unload everything and have to reload it again at their premises (which I kind of understand).

It makes me feel sick though. I didn't sleep much last night worrying about it. It is just so much money and the whole experience is leaving a very sour taste in my mouth.
Oh, I so feel for you...
But just to prepare you for possibly more-we have used the same company John Mason/Moving Company and SO many things got damaged in the process of the shipping! I hope you have your stuff insured.
It takes weeks of photos, emails, paperwork and more paperwork but we did get some money back.
Hope you'll be more lucky in this respect.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

I am a little confused....from this post it would seem MAF charge for any inspection of anything.

We waited 14 weeks and a bit for our container (having been told around mid January) it actually arrived mid february having been collected early november. MAF were gonna inspect about 10 items at the Crown depot in Hamilton but when i mentioned that i thought we had waited long enough they decided they would try and get MAF to inspect at the house. which they did. They were here about an hour - everything was fine, although they took all the cones off my lovely christmas tree.

We had originally been quoted for the move from the UK to Auckland so we knew there would be a little extra to pay for the relocation to Hamilton (Cambridge) so we didnt argue the extra $250 for that. But we have had no invoice from MAF for the inspection at all. Should we have?

Is there a certain amount of making it up as they go along from the moving companies? there seems to have been so many widely varying experiences from all of them. I couldnt fault crown - they were fantastic at both ends - but i know that so many have had really bad experiences - even with them.

Sorry Educateer that you are having this problem and i hope you get it sorted real soon.

Psycho x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.