Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Christchurch mid September.

Moving to Christchurch mid September.

Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Christchurch mid September.

Hi everyone.

We are finally on the countdown to starting our new life in Chch. We should be arriving about 19 September. I'm starting to pack and thinking I'll be packing spring/summer clothes. I.e. pretty much what we're wearing now with a couple more trousers/warm tops for the early spring.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I realise that the weather can be very changeable but I'm assuming a smaller selection of coats/hats/scarves will suffice?

Thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Christchurch mid September.

Christchurch is a bit weird weather-wise. Not sure if there's anything comparable in the UK.

During the summer it can be far hotter and dryer than many other parts of New Zealand further north, due to the prevailing westerly winds from the Tasman being caught over the alps and dumping rain there before funneling down over the Canterbury plains. In other parts of the world, it's known as a föhn wind.

http://www.enz.org/christchurch-climate.html

From memory, you don't get the sub-tropical humidity you'll get on many summer days in the north of the North Island. Don't go crazy on packing tons of winter woolies. Christchurch is on the same comparitive latitude as southern France, without the Gulf Stream and Mediterranean to take the chilly edge off things.

Summers can be hot and the sun strength, fierceness and clarity of light is unreal if you're not used to it. Some people in New Zealand can live in shorts, tshirts and jandals (gotta get the local lingo right ) from November through to March.

Clothes don't take up a lot of weight and are easily replaced. However, if I was planning a move at this time of the year, things I'd stock up on in the UK before flying out would be:

• Nice and good quality summery footwear, flipflop, sandals, wedges etc
• Anything in summer sales, especially 100% cotton garments
• Multipurpose bedding, like dual-layer duvets
• El-cheapo tshirts and vests, shorts and loose dresses and skirts
• Walking/hiking shoes and trainers (not gym or street stuff) suitable for longer bush walks etc. Don't have to be heavy hiking boots but something heavier than a pair of sneakers, with perhaps some ankle support

Apart from work, as a broadly generalised statement, people tend to dress more casually in New Zealand. Two good coats could last a few winters: one posh, one a bit more casual... for those frosty days, I'd also buy things that are cheap in the UK like thin ladies leather gloves etc.

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Purrball
Christchurch is a bit weird weather-wise. Not sure if there's anything comparable in the UK.

During the summer it can be far hotter and dryer than many other parts of New Zealand further north, due to the prevailing westerly winds from the Tasman being caught over the alps and dumping rain there before funneling down over the Canterbury plains. In other parts of the world, it's known as a föhn wind.

http://www.enz.org/christchurch-climate.html

From memory, you don't get the sub-tropical humidity you'll get on many summer days in the north of the North Island. Don't go crazy on packing tons of winter woolies. Christchurch is on the same comparitive latitude as southern France, without the Gulf Stream and Mediterranean to take the chilly edge off things.

Summers can be hot and the sun strength, fierceness and clarity of light is unreal if you're not used to it. Some people in New Zealand can live in shorts, tshirts and jandals (gotta get the local lingo right ) from November through to March.

Clothes don't take up a lot of weight and are easily replaced. However, if I was planning a move at this time of the year, things I'd stock up on in the UK before flying out would be:

• Nice and good quality summery footwear, flipflop, sandals, wedges etc
• Anything in summer sales, especially 100% cotton garments
• Multipurpose bedding, like dual-layer duvets
• El-cheapo tshirts and vests, shorts and loose dresses and skirts
• Walking/hiking shoes and trainers (not gym or street stuff) suitable for longer bush walks etc. Don't have to be heavy hiking boots but something heavier than a pair of sneakers, with perhaps some ankle support

Apart from work, as a broadly generalised statement, people tend to dress more casually in New Zealand. Two good coats could last a few winters: one posh, one a bit more casual... for those frosty days, I'd also buy things that are cheap in the UK like thin ladies leather gloves etc.

Good luck with your move.
Wow! Thank you for the in depth response! I have been buying plenty in the sales so that we have plenty stuff to bring. I like the suggestion that I need to buy more summer shoes though!!!

Now to plan my next shopping trip!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larryloo
I like the suggestion that I need to buy more summer shoes though!!!
Things like Scholl Sandals or nice wedges and other summery footwear is generally imported into NZ instead of being manufactured locally, and in the shops, you tend to not get the range of colours and styles that you'll find in the UK. Try to think versatile and casual, easily reparable, rather than expensive heels.

Generally, as a hint, I look at what my Kiwi friends stock up on when they're in London: basics, including M&S cotton vests and knickers, plus one or two special items like a nice dress or a coat from Desigual or Zara etc.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Another query: can I bring in nutritional supplements? Vitamins and protein powders?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Larryloo
Another query: can I bring in nutritional supplements? Vitamins and protein powders?
If you do, declare them at the airport. Customs will check to see if they're allowed in or not. Just bring them over I say, if they say no but you've declared them, you just won't be able to bring them through

There won't be any fines

Since your coming in September, the months of September and October generally are quite wet. Bring a brolly with you!

Oh and don't bother bringing suncream over. Get it over here! I bought factor 30 from Britain and still got burned in our first summer. The sun fries you from November onwards - very hot!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:36 am
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Vitamins and supplements are really really expensive here compared to the uk, bring lots of sunscreen to see you through, it is more expensive here also. Hope this helps
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Christchurch mid September.-govenors.jpg

Hopefully this picture appears. This was 30 mins from Christchurch today, at the Banks Peninsula. Was very comfortable in shorts and probably caught the sun (naughty). Spring is on its way!!!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by skends
Vitamins and supplements are really really expensive here compared to the uk, bring lots of sunscreen to see you through, it is more expensive here also. Hope this helps
Thanks. Will have a sort out and bring the most needed as well as stocking up on sun cream. Got a few boots points to spend so that'll help!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Attachment 113713

Hopefully this picture appears. This was 30 mins from Christchurch today, at the Banks Peninsula. Was very comfortable in shorts and probably caught the sun (naughty). Spring is on its way!!!
Beautiful photo! Thanks for sending it! Feeling more able to think about packing for the hold luggage!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Hi,
So exciting for you.larryloo....

We are about 70k south of Christchurch City....Sept can be changeable...we have had a mild winter so far..but who knows what spring will bring....2005 we had snow in Aug....so bring a bit of everything for every weather occasion is my advise....

If you bring sun screen, bring high factor, a wide brimmed hat & good sunglasses......as said previously the sun is so hot, even this time of the year....

Caps are not advised as they are not good at protecting your ears, as they push your ears out & increase the exposure to the rays.....Unfortunately I see so many patients with bits of their ears cut out from over exposure to the sun....So look after them....burnt ears are very painful & unattractive...

Good luck with the packing....Enjoy the start of your new adventure
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light

This is great advice! We're coming over in September too and will be packing lots of layers too - that was advice I got. Can't wait! Good luck with the move - we arrive on 23rd so just a few days after you!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pinksar
This is great advice! We're coming over in September too and will be packing lots of layers too - that was advice I got. Can't wait! Good luck with the move - we arrive on 23rd so just a few days after you!
Good luck Pinksar......enjoy you adventure too....remember Sunscreen, sunglasses & wide brimmed hat!!!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that I need sunscreen just about all year round.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:34 am
Just Joined

ukarchitect is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Larry
See that shot, that's why I'm starting to think I don't want to live North of Brougham
x.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.