Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Christchurch - Early Jan - Commutable Suburbs / Towns?

Moving to Christchurch - Early Jan - Commutable Suburbs / Towns?

Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Christchurch - Early Jan - Commutable Suburbs / Towns?

I just wanted to say a big thank you for everyone to contributing to the NZ forum firstly. This has been a huge help when researching the move to NZ.

So... I have been offered a role with one of the big IT companies over there and have opted for the WTR Talent Visa after weighing up the pros and cons of doing EOI etc.

I have mid way through the visa process (Polic Certs, Meds etc) which should be all done in the next few weeks.

I am 34 and live in a village near Sevenoaks in Kent and will be moving with my wife, daughter (nearly 4) and Son (2).

We are moving to the Christchurch area on the 5th January 2014 and will be put up by the company in a furnished house for the first month. However, after that we will be looking at areas that are a decent commute for me (to Airport Business Park) and also is not too isloated for my wife and kids.

We will be renting our house in the UK initially and will ideally looking at renting in one of the following areas

In City:
- St Albans
- Merivale

Out of City
- Rangiora
- Pegasus
- Kaiapoi
- Prebbleton
- Lincoln

Can anyone suggest some alternative locations that would be less than an hour commute and where we could rent up to $600 a week??? Ideally this would be walkable to Kindergarten for my wife and close to parks / swimming pools etc
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:25 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Christchurch - Early Jan - Commutable Suburbs / Towns?

Start looking at Burnside and Avonhead walk/cycle to the Airport, No 29 or No 3 bus straight into City centre every 1/2 hour. Good schools area and Jellie park for swimming.
Roydvale Preschool & Nursery
Edukids Wairakei childcare
ABC Pro Active Learning Centres childcare
nearby.
Avonhead Mall nearby with Monteiths brewey bar included!
Bunside Rugby club, tennis courts and bowls club all on the side of Memorial road.

Last edited by Stormer999; Oct 10th 2013 at 7:27 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Pegasus is lovely, it has a preschool (which we thought looked very good)and you could walk there from anywhere is the town. Its a new town built on a golf course, with lakes etc. But whilst it would be commutable for you, it is quite isolated from the city if your wife doesnt have a car. Rangiora might be better and has a pool etc. I have a friend who lived in Rangiora and says there is plenty going on, but if you want to have easy access to everything I would stay in the city suburbs.
I am just about to start working for a relocation company and am busy learning about rental prices all over the city and networking with local agents etc. PM me nearer the time and I will give you advice on prices and areas. Be warned though the rental prices have been increasing over the last couple of months...
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Right

I work for one of the big IT companies at the Airport as well. You're not joining my firm are you?

It takes me between 15-25 minutes to get to the Airport from Merivale. I usually drop my son off at the ABC there which is $228 per week full time usually (we get a little discount). It's easily walking distance from where we are

Other areas to consider are Bishopdale and Harewood, there are kids centres around there as well and there's a decent shopping area at Bishopdale by the roundabout. Also has the Harewood Tavern which is one of my favourite boozers in Christchurch

Where we live in Merivale, there's 3 parks near by which we take our wee one to. Jellie Park and the Graham Condon centres are either a 20-30 minute walk or a short drive (walking sometimes is quicker here due to the 150,000,000 cones around the place).
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

At present on Trademe, there are only 2 rental properties with 3 beds in Merivale at $600 or under. St Albans has 15. Have a look through to see what's available and be aware there is often fierce competition for rentals in ChCh at the mo.

I moved from London to Wrotham and then Tonbridge before moving here btw
Old Oct 11th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

If your looking in St Albans, maybe give anything around the Flockton street/Carrick street area a miss. This is a natural basin and has been very flood prone post quake.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info everyone. Always good to hear from people there.

Tom1983 - Does your company do SharePoint? and begin with an I? If so, probably am!

bellebellec1 - Will PM you in December.

In terms of references etc for rentals, we have owned our house in the UK so what else can we give other than an employer reference contract etc?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:44 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

To be honest I would get in touch with rental agents now and get on file with them. Properties are in high demand and it might be worth your while paying an extra months rent to get a decent property. Your yearly mortgage statement (if you have a mortgage) may be required, plus character references. Landlords can pick and choose now, the more you can have on hand the easier it will be. They might also want to see your NZ employment contract and evidence of an NZ bank account.

Redwood is not too bad a commute, and easy travel for the family things. Fendalton is better but much more expensive. Russley and Yaldhurst are probably the closest.

We live in Rangiora and work in Christchurch. I used to work in Bishopdale so had to deal with the morning airport commuter traffic and it was nasty, more than double the time it took pre-earthquakes.

Good luck with it all!
Old Oct 13th 2013, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Aaaaah I know where you are based, you're south of where I am - nearer to the Yaldhurst/Russley Road intersection. If travelling from north, you'll pass my office on the right when travelling to work

With you being at the Airport Business Park (I thought you were going to be working at one of the new offices near me), you should look at Yaldhurst, Upper Riccarton and Avonhead as well. They're close to where your at and much easier travel time. Even Sockburn is driveable to the business park

That would be better than St Albans or Merivale in my opinion.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice all so far.

Early indications are that it is a little early to be looking at properties but have registered with a number of agents none the less.

I have to say that the (lack of) rentals is the only worrying what is a really exciting time for me at the moment.

I am a really positive person, so fully expecting that we will find "something" once we are out there, as we are fairly open on location and seem to have a decent budget.

I guess that all my research is armchair based, but there does not seem to be many "somethings" on Trademe and RealEstate that are clean, tidy and well looked after.

Does anyone have an opinion on if Rangiora / Pegasus would be less competitive by the way?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:35 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

It's the same all over. When we came we hired a furnished holiday home for a month to give us time to find a rental. It took the pressure out of having something ready when we came and if you find a rental from your armchair you could always cancel even if it means you losing your deposit.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Thanks for the advice all so far.

Early indications are that it is a little early to be looking at properties but have registered with a number of agents none the less.

I have to say that the (lack of) rentals is the only worrying what is a really exciting time for me at the moment.

I am a really positive person, so fully expecting that we will find "something" once we are out there, as we are fairly open on location and seem to have a decent budget.

I guess that all my research is armchair based, but there does not seem to be many "somethings" on Trademe and RealEstate that are clean, tidy and well looked after.

Does anyone have an opinion on if Rangiora / Pegasus would be less competitive by the way?

Hi I think Pegasus would be less competitive based on experience but I think the commute would put you off. Its nose to tail in mornings from rangiora in. I guess it depends what you are used to in uk. We had horrendous commutes in uk so an hour or so here didnt bother us but thats personal choice. Sounds to me like Tom has suggested some easier areas for commute, but I would suggest hire a bach/holiday house for a few weeks and then look around the city. I dont think any agents will consider you or potentially even reply until you are onshore. I have alot to clients arriving in Dec, so will have much more info by jan, pm me then and I will help where poss.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thankfully the company I am going to work for, put you up in a furnished place for a month, to do exactly what you said.

That should be plenty of time to find somewhere! (He says hoping!!)

Next on my list: Where shows the West Ham games are 3am in the morning :-)
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:10 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Thankfully the company I am going to work for, put you up in a furnished place for a month, to do exactly what you said.

That should be plenty of time to find somewhere! (He says hoping!!)

Next on my list: Where shows the West Ham games are 3am in the morning :-)
Do they play Union or League.....
Old Oct 14th 2013, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

kiwi wannnabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I just read all of this and wanted to say thanks to you all. We are due to move to Christchurch next month and have 3 pre school children no idea where to go or what schools / pre schools to look at and we dont get accommodation on arrival sorted for us. So all this is very helpful thank you all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.