Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Christchurch

Moving to Christchurch

Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice
Default Moving to Christchurch

Hi all,

This will be a short one as I've been doing NZ-related planning all evening and it's time for bed! I just wanted to introduce myself as I will be moving to Christchurch in April for a year initially (on a working holiday visa), looking to work in a geographical/environmental field relevant to the earthquake recovery of the city and am interested in getting to know the expat community out there, even if it is just online. For more information I travelled around New Zealand (north and south islands) in June 2011 for the whole month, including a visit to Christchurch.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Christchurch

Hi Chris and welcome

Can't help you much with Christchurch as we live in Wellington but lots of lovely people do and are always helpful and free with their experiences and advice so sure anything you have to ask you will get the answers to
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Thank you for the welcome and advice .

I have a question regarding student loans - I have contacted the Student Loans Company today who have advised me to fill in an Overseas Income Assessment for when I move. The only issues is that I do not quite know what work I will be doing at this point and that makes it difficult to provide an anticipated income. Is it best to send them an assessment form now and if so what do I tell them? Or alternatively do I wait until I arrive and find work (unless that happens before I go) and then send them a form?

Additionally re: the SLC, how far back do you need to keep correspondence and is it worth taking it all over there? I have all of mine from them since I first applied for a loan in 2002.

One more question relating to tax. I have found the form P85 to submit to HMRC ahead of my move, however I will be leaving a pension pot(which will not be added to, but may later be transferred to NZ if I stay long term) from my current role with the fund it is in "for the time being" - do I need to declare this as a UK income source on the P85 form or some other form? Some clarity on exactl what to do here would be much appreciated as I'm new to all of this.

Thanks, sorry to go on a bit but I am sure you understand!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisWilson7; Feb 11th 2013 at 3:43 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:09 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris! Welcome to Christchurch. The people are friendly down here and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

If you are unemployed when you get to NZ you will not have to pay your loan back until you get a job. It will just be a case of telling them you have no job and supporting yourself without income and then once you get a job you can tell them how much you are earning and go from there. My partner and I have recently done this as we have moved to Chch.

Good luck with it all!