Reload this Page >

Moving from Canada

Moving from Canada

Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

snow blower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Canada

Hi
Just wanted to answer a question I was asked in my previous thread so you could all see.
Gained entry to Canada using the skilled worker route filled in all our own forms and obtained the points. Landed Oct 10th 2007 lived in Ontario 2 hours north of Niagara falls in a small town called Meaford on the banks of lake Huron great people skiing in the Winter and lovely weather in the siummer a real four seasons place. I moved to Vancouver and found it a traumatic experience a real hell on earth. Canada is a beautiful place but its just far to big and if you want to live the idylic life with simple things around you are miles from anywhere and not well positioned for bringing up your children. Move to the more urban aras like Vancouver and you literally take your life your hands. I went into an ATM lobbie the other night for some cash and found 20 or more homeless people sleeping there. I find it hard to believe that a city that is holding the olympic games can't sort help its homeless and less fortunate people first.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving from Canada

Hi, going to answer this post too.

Living up on Lake Huron is a bit far and snowy in winter. However, you might have tried some where between Cambridge and London, NW London just out of the city offers some choice. Quebec has lots of nice places just outside Ottawa. Also around Ottawa there are great places, but dress warmly.

Now, if you are looking for something that lets you enjoy the benefits of a larger city without the hassels of traffic, but yet access to reasonable job prospects, good social assets such as univeristies, libraries, sports clubs and other public assets. If you like fairly clean, but can live with lots of broken glass, good access to beaches that are all your own, swimming in the rivers, short trecks to the mountains and hills, great biking - road and mountain styles - nice schools and a variety of housing options in town. If you want to live just outside the city and have access to all important services, not just one of something, but a selection of services, but enjoy the benefits of being close to the city, I am going to suggest that you move to the Christchurch area, and particularly the Rangiora area. You can't find this sort of thing in most places of Canada. They have changed into huge bedroom towns next to the city.

You don't have to live in Rangiora, you can live on the north side of the Ashely river up on the hills over looking the plain to the sea, the port hills to the south and the Gretna Valley area to the north.

But again, you are coming for the fun, not the money. However, if you have been a modest person and a prudent saver, than you should get on just fine. Just remember that with an adapter your Canadian hand mixer will spin slower and your bread maker will no longer work like it should.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:47 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Snow Blower, your post confused me, I live in Thornbury, am in Meaford several times a week, not sure what you felt was lacking here??

90 minutes away you have a city of 5,000,000 people, here we have access to all recreation as we have the Lake, the ski hills, numerous country trails, more golf courses than you can remember, etc.

Real Estate is booming, the largest Equestrian centre in Canada is being built here, we have a beach as nice as any and the longest freshwater one in the world, we do how ever lack traffic jams.

Good luck with N.Z , it is pretty, but for me, just too far from the rest of the world, I am not an Island person.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

snow blower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Snow Blower, your post confused me, I live in Thornbury, am in Meaford several times a week, not sure what you felt was lacking here??

90 minutes away you have a city of 5,000,000 people, here we have access to all recreation as we have the Lake, the ski hills, numerous country trails, more golf courses than you can remember, etc.

Real Estate is booming, the largest Equestrian centre in Canada is being built here, we have a beach as nice as any and the longest freshwater one in the world, we do how ever lack traffic jams.

Good luck with N.Z , it is pretty, but for me, just too far from the rest of the world, I am not an Island person.
Hi
I was very happy in meaford but my work caused me to travel on some pretty bad roads at times.
Took a job in Vancouver thinking could have milder weather and live in similar sleepy place but just cant find one within an hour from work
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:30 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

SB, true, roads can be challenging, last year five young lads returning from a hockey game never made it home, not so much the snow but those high winds and white outs.

Good luck with wherever you end up, but weather will always be a problem, go to Florida to avoid snow, get hurricanes instead, floods where floods never used to be, world is going crazy, look at the U.K. last summer.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Hi, going to answer this post too.

Living up on Lake Huron is a bit far and snowy in winter. However, you might have tried some where between Cambridge and London, NW London just out of the city offers some choice. Quebec has lots of nice places just outside Ottawa. Also around Ottawa there are great places, but dress warmly.

Now, if you are looking for something that lets you enjoy the benefits of a larger city without the hassels of traffic, but yet access to reasonable job prospects, good social assets such as univeristies, libraries, sports clubs and other public assets. If you like fairly clean, but can live with lots of broken glass, good access to beaches that are all your own, swimming in the rivers, short trecks to the mountains and hills, great biking - road and mountain styles - nice schools and a variety of housing options in town. If you want to live just outside the city and have access to all important services, not just one of something, but a selection of services, but enjoy the benefits of being close to the city, I am going to suggest that you move to the Christchurch area, and particularly the Rangiora area. You can't find this sort of thing in most places of Canada. They have changed into huge bedroom towns next to the city.

You don't have to live in Rangiora, you can live on the north side of the Ashely river up on the hills over looking the plain to the sea, the port hills to the south and the Gretna Valley area to the north.

But again, you are coming for the fun, not the money. However, if you have been a modest person and a prudent saver, than you should get on just fine. Just remember that with an adapter your Canadian hand mixer will spin slower and your bread maker will no longer work like it should.
Here here,well said