British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving back to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-back-nz-909783/)

Princess_Buttercup Feb 27th 2018 2:51 pm

Moving back to NZ

BH has been offered a job in Dunners with a good employment package. So in all likelihood we'll be coming home in April/May time after having been away in the UK for the better part of a decade. I will miss the friends I've made over here, ALDI and the cheap holidays to Europe - I won't miss the toxic atmosphere that Brexit and the poor leadership of the Maybot and her bumbling sidekicks have whipped up. I currently spend at least 3 hrs commuting a day into London for work - won't miss that - am looking forward to not having to get up a 5:25 every morning for work. I'm hoping it means I have a bit more time to train (I do triathlons and long distance running/cycling) :fingerscrossed:

What I'm after is a bit of a collective group think if you were moving again to NZ what would you bring with you if you could?

barnsleymat Feb 27th 2018 4:32 pm

Re: Moving back to NZ

If I had to move back to Dunedin to make the place bearable I would NEED to bring:

1. A fully operational 300 instructer driving school.
2. Some life
3. Good nightlife
4. A time machine
5. 6 Wetherspoons
6. Bullsh1t free eateries
7. Access to other places
8. Aldi
9. Tescos Express just selling £3 meal deals
10. 12 radiators and a combi boiler
11. 15 double glazed windows
12. Caravan
13. Lots of non black clothes
14. A professional football league
15. Budget airlines
16. 50 million dollars
17. Banter
18. A lifetime supply of wallpaper, paint and carpet
19. Lidl
20. The BBC
21. 250000 people
22. Argos
23. Public transport
24. A European car
25. Several cucumbers
26. The government would have to agree to make it against the law to be asked the dreaded weekend questions.

Might weigh a bit more than 25kg I reckon.

Princess_Buttercup Feb 27th 2018 4:59 pm

I'll let you keep the Wetherspoons ;) and I've heard about your cucumber fetish good thing we're so close to the continent and the prices for vege haven't jumped like they have for Lurpak.

barnsleymat Feb 27th 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Princess_Buttercup (Post 12452122)
I'll let you keep the Wetherspoons ;) and I've heard about your cucumber fetish good thing we're so close to the continent and the prices for vege haven't jumped like they have for Lurpak.

Just wait until you're paying £6 for an undersized pint of Speights and £14 for a plate of fish and chips. You'll be gagging for some Spoons action.

Princess_Buttercup Feb 27th 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12452128)
Just wait until you're paying £6 for an undersized pint of Speights and £14 for a plate of fish and chips. You'll be gagging for some Spoons action.

:rofl:

Bo-Jangles Feb 28th 2018 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Princess_Buttercup (Post 12452122)
I've heard about your cucumber fetish good thing we're so close to the continent and the prices for vege haven't jumped like they have for Lurpak.

You think Lurpak think is expensive in the UK? :lol:

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/?_ga=2....tring%3Dlurpak

Justcol Feb 28th 2018 7:20 am

Once again to counter the "everything's shit and expensive" argument

Im in Otago, its bloody brilliant down here

It depends on what you want and where you are.
We have never had so much in savings
I'm traveling home in April for the 4th time in 6 years so foreign hold ain't an issue
We earn average wages, have a small mortgage, 2 cars a cat a dog, we travel around the
country to visit friends and family. I've flown more in the past 2 years than at st any other time in my life

mcuddy1 Feb 28th 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12452485)
Once again to counter the "everything's shit and expensive" argument

Im in Otago, its bloody brilliant down here

It depends on what you want and where you are.
We have never had so much in savings
I'm traveling home in April for the 4th time in 6 years so foreign hold ain't an issue
We earn average wages, have a small mortgage, 2 cars a cat a dog, we travel around the country to visit friends and family. I've flown more in the past 2 years than at st any other time in my life

Hmmm I think they have a point.To be comfortable here go for 2.75 to 3 x GBP to NZD in earnings, or you are gonna scrimp and save here.Chasing those specials at the local supermarket.

You work for the Otago Tourist Board?

Moses2013 Feb 28th 2018 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 12452509)
Hmmm I think they have a point.To be comfortable here go for 2.75 to 3 x GBP to NZD in earnings, or you are gonna scrimp and save here.Chasing those specials at the local supermarket.

You work for ghe Otago Tourist Board?

That's the problem. Someone who has a low mortgage and bought when house prices were low, will have a complete different life than someone moving now.

Because they aren't spending 50% of their salary on a mortgage or rent, higher prices won't bother them. I suppose to have a realistic view, you would have to look at someone moving now, no savings and on minimum wage. And again that will depend on location and priorities.

Justcol Feb 28th 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 12452509)
Hmmm I think they have a point.To be comfortable here go for 2.75 to 3 x GBP to NZD in earnings,
or you are gonna scrimp and save here.Chasing those specials at the local supermarket.

You work for the Otago Tourist Board?

I see so many people now moving away from the North Island major towns and city's and heading to Otago
If you crave city life dont come, there's nowt here for you, Dunners is ok to visit for a bit of shopping but it
aint a real city, its too small and remote.
however, its hugely affordable and the whole of central Otago is on your doorstep and if you cant find something
here to occupy your spare time there's something wrong with you

1. A fully operational 300 instructer driving school... no traffic so its irrelevant
2. Some life... depends who you know, where you live and what you want
3. Good nightlife....all I need is a pub or two
4. A time machine...the fact its slower is whats appealing
5. 6 Wetherspoons....that would have me packing up and leaving
6. Bullsh1t free eateries...never had an issue apart from not a lot of Vegetarian choice
7. Access to other places...its has an airport and cheap flights to everywhere and some of the most scenic roads anywhere
8. Aldi....is shit, I would never shop there, its just shit, end of
9. Tescos Express just selling £3 meal deals... horse meat anyone...!!
10. 12 radiators and a combi boiler....Yep, got that lot but self feeding coal furnace...its not a biggy
11. 15 double glazed windows... available to everyone if you want them, you just have to ask and pay
12. Caravan... available, if too expensive import one yourself and save $$$$
13. Lots of non black clothes....only black thing I own is an England Rugby shirt
14. A professional football league....Yeah, have to agree with that one
15. Budget airlines...See 7
16. 50 million dollars....working on that one
17. Banter....all day everyday where I work
18. A lifetime supply of wallpaper, paint and carpet....I dont change my mind that often
19. Lidl....again shit, not as shit as Aldi but still shit
20. The BBC...got that
21. 250000 people....no....just no...i moved here to get away from most of them
22. Argos...for that authentic standing in a Dole que experience
23. Public transport....i have 2 cars
24. A European car....yep got one of them
25. Several cucumbers....dont be silly...no one earns that much
26. The government would have to agree to make it against the law to be asked the dreaded weekend questions...like at the barbers...something for the weekend sir ??

Princess_Buttercup Feb 28th 2018 9:41 am

Just to refocus a bit - away from the monetary side of things. I'm a kiwi born and bred and so is husband - we cook from scratch here prefer it, we don't eat out much, dont mind having a vege patch or not having a EU holiday for a couple of years, and wearing socks and slippers in the house and having a blanket on as well (currently doing that at the moment it's freezing here). The incomes both of us will be earning in Dunners will go further than they would elsewhere.

Back to what I was asking is there anything you would have put into a container that you didnt originally but realised after the fact.

Princess_Buttercup Feb 28th 2018 9:46 am

Bojangles the Lurpak at the mo is £2.00 for 250g on special - NZ that £3.75 given how far that had to travel comparatively not that bad ;) altho tbf we dont use Lurpak just what ever supermarket we go through house brand for us plebs.

MrsFychan Feb 28th 2018 6:04 pm

The only thing I wished I had spent time on and cleaned to bring over was my Henry hoover. Bought another one now after trying a few others.

Proper medicine, Sudafed being the main one

Justcol Feb 28th 2018 8:38 pm

I tend to say bring everything as I feel, for new migrants settling in, possibly on a restricted income for a while that it is far less stressful. They can manage with their current appliances for a while and then upgrade once they are fully settled in. Same goes for furniture unless its falling apart.

Justcol Feb 28th 2018 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12452984)
Sudafed being the main one

I think you'd now be arrested at the border if you tried to bring it
Its main ingredient is used for making meth