Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Chch with husband & two small kids

Moving back to Chch with husband & two small kids

Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

kiwicominghome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to Chch with husband & two small kids

Hi, I'm just new to this site - but already finding it very helpful! I'm a kiwi, but have lived in London for 11 years. I'm finally moving home complete with British husband and two small kids. We don't know where to start! Would love anyone's tips. We are renting a furnished property in London, but would still want to bring quite a bit back. Thinking of a half container - I've heard that's an option? We have decided on Christchurch, Auckland houses prices have really put us off and I have family & friends in Christchurch. We were looking at Halswell/Wigram, but would be interested what people thought about Lincoln/Rolleston, houses prices seem better and we're starting to realise how expensive this move is. Hoping we will have jobs to go to, but any thoughts on how best to start a search from the UK. Realise this is quite a broad message, but I'm starting to freak out about the logistics and would love someone else to reassure me, or confirm its a nightmare!!!
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Chch with husband & two small kids

Welcome, welcome

Some questions for you to think about...

How far have you got with your Hubby's visa application (and do you have Kiwi passports for your two children) as that's the first thing to get underway.

I can't help you with container reassurance as I came here with two suitcases (a course I do not recommend).

What fields do you both work in? Do either of you need to get professional registration in NZ before you can work here?

Can you use family and friends to do a recce for you and tell you what they think about Lincoln/Rolleston. I live smack bang in the city centre so can't tell you much other than Christchurch is on the up again the buildings are really coming along. It's a great time to move back.

Breathe, we are here to help. It seems like a huge thing but in reality it's a series of small (occasionally slow) steps, you can do this
Old Feb 12th 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello kiwicominghome

I am a kiwi who has returned home, very similar situation to yours - with British husband and two small children in tow, after living in London for 10+ years. I do need to pre-warn you it is a long, hard road to readjust back into kiwi life...but as we all have our own reasons it is really down to each individual.

Yes, first visa and NZ passports, much easier if kids have NZ passports.

Fine to get a half container, but it will probably take longer as they have to wait to fill the other half up. We've always had a 20ft container and filled in no problem (usually with lots of new Ikea furniture).

It really is easy once you get the ball rolling, any specific questions let us know and we can all help you. The NZ side, it's always good to have somewhere to stay for the first few days/weeks until you manage to sort out a property. I would really recommend renting initially, we bought as soon as we got here and regretted it a bit. We ping-ponged back to the UK and then came back to NZ. Be aware, you may never feel settled anywhere again, but it doesn't mean you can't be happy where you are living.

We are in Dunedin and whilst I love the ease of life here and access to the outdoors, it is getting a bit boring. We recently went to Christchurch to have a look around as a potential city to move to. I love the feel of inner Christchurch (among the rebuild) and had a good look around Pegasus, Rolleston and I think Faringdon. Lovely houses, but I could not live somewhere like that. They are very new subdivisions and way too suburban for me. My brother lives in Rolleston and we visited the pub there, and it was a bit rough to be honest. He said there had been about 8 bar fights in the previous two months. But as a returning kiwi, it might not be as much of a culture shock to you. I heard Rolleston described as a "posh British new housing estate" which was totally incorrect in my view.

Best places for jobs are Seek I think and Trade Me, or use any contacts you may have in Chch. Sometimes (annoyingly) it does come down to who you know, rather than what you know!

Good luck, it will all come together.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I find Rolly, Farringdon and Wigram and other new developments a little soulless. All the new builds look decent quality, but the subtle nuances and character that make up a community aren't generated overnight.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Iggydoos is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to christchurch after 10 years in London.
I think securing a job is crucial is it will relieve the substantial financial costs that the move will involve. Even though the company in Chch paid for the plane tickets and removal costs, the other costs of reparing my property up for rent, buying a car in chch and rental deposite run into the thousands.
I also had my own 20 ft containing (PSS) and manage to fill it with furniture from Ikea and appliances from John Lewis (more $$$). It is possible to share a container but there are drawbacks.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at Rolleston but the place was out of our budget. It would have been an easier commute but hey ho.

Lincoln wasn't for us and I wasn't a fan of Wigram. If you're wanting a new residential section and at a reasonable cost, I'd say Silverstream. That had new builds etc at a good cost. Only negative is the commute in.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

May I strongly recommend for any Kiwis coming home with British partners that you make sure you and your kids have all got British passports before you leave the UK. If you have an "indefinite leave to remain" visa, that expires 2 years after you leave the UK and after that it is VERY hard to get back in to live, the process for UK spouse visas has changed dramatically. You could end up "trapped" outside the UK and unable to return, as has happened to some good friends of ours.

BB
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
May I strongly recommend for any Kiwis coming home with British partners that you make sure you and your kids have all got British passports before you leave the UK. If you have an "indefinite leave to remain" visa, that expires 2 years after you leave the UK and after that it is VERY hard to get back in to live, the process for UK spouse visas has changed dramatically. You could end up "trapped" outside the UK and unable to return, as has happened to some good friends of ours.

BB
A bit confused - difficult to get into NZ or UK? How could you leave UK without a passport?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kotare
A bit confused - difficult to get into NZ or UK? How could you leave UK without a passport?
The Kiwi would leave the UK on the Kiwi passport.

I gather it is if they wish to return that difficulties would now be encountered .
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:05 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If a person has indefinite leave to remain and then leaves the UK for two years it can be revoked. People planning to move abroad should go for UK citizenship first.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:29 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

err yes that's what I said.

BB
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

kiwicominghome is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much, this has all been so helpful. I am a British citizen now, as are the kids - so I think we have that part sorted.

I've definitely decided on excluding Rolleston from further property searches! So that's helped narrow it down! I had heard similar things from my family, but wondered if they were just biased - it appears not!

We are now leaning towards the 20ft container - I had considered the ikea option before. I assume everything must be made up to get passed having to pay tax on it - is that right?

I am also trying to get some idea about childcare. Our daughter will be almost ready to start school by the time we get there, but our son will be just under 2. Does anyone have a ball park figure for childcare costs, ideally at a nursery/crèche as opposed to a childminder.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Prebbleton has really gone ahead in recent years, large sections compared to Wigram and lower Council Rates as its in Selwyn District. Also with the Southern Motorway, you can be in the central city within 20-25 minutes. Both Lincoln and Prebbleton have a bit of a village feel about them. Wigram has also grown, easy access to motorway and main roads, shopping etc.