Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland (maybe)!!

Moving to Auckland (maybe)!!

Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

macbeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Auckland (maybe)!!

Hi everyone

We are a Scottish family that have spent 10 years in Southern Ireland and the past 2 years in good old Canberra. There is a possibility that we will be moving to Auckland within the next 2 weeks. We should hopefully know for definite in the next couple of weeks.

We have been looking at rentals (going to wait a year or so before buying) in the Half Moon, Botany Bay areas of Auckland. Ideally we want a decent area with a good primary school for our almost 10 year old daughter. Does anyone have any insight into these areas or can recommend a better spot. I am so glad now that we didn't buy in Canberra or we would be going through the selling hassle.

My next dilemma is how has everyone found settling in? We have been so lucky moving to Canberra in that we met up with a great gang of friends through forums and work. The majority of us have all been in the same emigrating boat and did so around the same time so we bonded over wine and horror stories (our Aussie friends think it's hilarious....we keep telling them wait until you have to squeeze your life belongings into a container and see if you think it's funny then). My point is I am worried that we won't make the same acquaintances, I think a couple of weeks after we arrive there will be a BBQ at our house...lol.. Have you all found it easy to make friends?

Our daughter has really settled well into Canberra life (though she is excited about the possible news, we are looking forward to being near the beach again rather than a 2 hour drive). How have your kids settled in? What about kids clubs? Are they plentiful? I have promised her I will take a couple of months at home to help get her settled in and lots of play dates organised.

Next question how do you find the cost of living? I have researched groceries etc...and to be honest they aren't too bad compared to Canberra. What about Internet? Ours is horrendous and we have been assured that we have one of the fastest speeds (def not UK standards). What about cars? My hubby was over last week for a couple of days and said there seemed to be more small cars, unlike Canberra and their love of the SUV (of which I am guilty of). What's the average service costs?

Sorry for all the questions (I have been on the receiving end of a few of these for people wanting to know about Canberra) I know they can be a bot tedious but any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Last but not least....has anyone seen White Zifandel wine on the shelves? They have only just started stocking it in Canberra in the last year (thank goodness) and I wonder is it easy to find in NZ.

Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Auckland (maybe)!!

Sorry should say possibility of moving in the next 2 months not weeks!! If that was the case you would hear me screaming all the way from Canberra!!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - good luck with your continuing adventures and your endeavour!

Before making any decisions - (and to avoid any guilt), please read the following links before deciding on Auckland

1) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807193
2) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807924
3) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803589
4) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795249
5) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804241
6) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802999
7) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805740
8) http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806663

Once all of that is out of the way...
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies and the information :-) I suppose like everywhere you get the good and the bad :-)
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Cost of living.....the big Q......Some of us are rather disgruntled with the cost of living in NZ...you pay a premium for living here...either over inflated pricing & lack of choice......if you do a search you will find heaps of posts/threads on the cost of living...Good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pixiewink. I don't think we will be too shocked coming over from Canberra. I did almost scream when we arrived here....$700 bucks a week rent for a shitty old house. I couldn't believe it!! That's when I wanted to back to Ireland to my lovely big house!! Mind you the family that bought it might not have been to impressed.
Hubby said plus side booze looks cheaper in NZ compared to here so will save money drowning our sorrows....lol...
Whereabouts are you?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macbeth
Thanks Pixiewink. I don't think we will be too shocked coming over from Canberra. I did almost scream when we arrived here....$700 bucks a week rent for a shitty old house. I couldn't believe it!! That's when I wanted to back to Ireland to my lovely big house!! Mind you the family that bought it might not have been to impressed.
Hubby said plus side booze looks cheaper in NZ compared to here so will save money drowning our sorrows....lol...
Whereabouts are you?
We are in the middle of the South Island...Ashburton...Mid Canterbury....lovely weather here...close to the mountains (Mt Hutt Ski fields Methven) & the beach...but not suitable for swimming....

That's good that it won't be too much of a shock...

We find everything expensive...seems that way more in the last few years.....We have been in NZ 8 yrs now......

Rents in this area are not too bad....but from what I have read on here...rents are costly on the NI...but I am not an expert in that area...

Last Electric bill was $327...over winter they have been up to $420pm..plus wood...3 loads this year....but it has been mild...

Food $300+ per week for 5 of us...(3 teens)...

We cancelled sky a few months ago...was costing us $79pm but decided we could get just as much TV with free view box....not disappointed...although my son is because of the lack of motorbike racing & my daughter is coz of the lack of premier league football...

I still find booze expensive.....I like Rekorderlig Cider but at $7 for one bottle from the liquorstore its an occasional pleasure....

Good luck with your mammoth task ahead of moving onto your new chapter in your life.....
Old Sep 13th 2013, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

We are a Scottish family that have spent 10 years in Southern Ireland and the past 2 years in good old Canberra. There is a possibility that we will be moving to Auckland within the next 2 weeks. We should hopefully know for definite in the next couple of weeks.

We have been looking at rentals (going to wait a year or so before buying) in the Half Moon, Botany Bay areas of Auckland. Ideally we want a decent area with a good primary school for our almost 10 year old daughter. Does anyone have any insight into these areas or can recommend a better spot. I am so glad now that we didn't buy in Canberra or we would be going through the selling hassle.

My next dilemma is how has everyone found settling in? We have been so lucky moving to Canberra in that we met up with a great gang of friends through forums and work. The majority of us have all been in the same emigrating boat and did so around the same time so we bonded over wine and horror stories (our Aussie friends think it's hilarious....we keep telling them wait until you have to squeeze your life belongings into a container and see if you think it's funny then). My point is I am worried that we won't make the same acquaintances, I think a couple of weeks after we arrive there will be a BBQ at our house...lol.. Have you all found it easy to make friends?

Our daughter has really settled well into Canberra life (though she is excited about the possible news, we are looking forward to being near the beach again rather than a 2 hour drive). How have your kids settled in? What about kids clubs? Are they plentiful? I have promised her I will take a couple of months at home to help get her settled in and lots of play dates organised.

Next question how do you find the cost of living? I have researched groceries etc...and to be honest they aren't too bad compared to Canberra. What about Internet? Ours is horrendous and we have been assured that we have one of the fastest speeds (def not UK standards). What about cars? My hubby was over last week for a couple of days and said there seemed to be more small cars, unlike Canberra and their love of the SUV (of which I am guilty of). What's the average service costs?

Sorry for all the questions (I have been on the receiving end of a few of these for people wanting to know about Canberra) I know they can be a bot tedious but any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Last but not least....has anyone seen White Zifandel wine on the shelves? They have only just started stocking it in Canberra in the last year (thank goodness) and I wonder is it easy to find in NZ.

Hiya, East Auckland is a very nice part of Auckland to live in and there are plenty of UK migrants living here. The links below are for some of the primary schools in the area and they will show you the zones they take pupils from. The last link is for rentals on trade me and is set for you to just add the suburbs.
I have family living in Canberra and they say the cost of living there is similar to here however I am not sure about rental prices as they have gone up a huge amount recently here (family own their own home in Canberra).

Botany area

http://www.botanydowns.school.nz/

http://botanydowns.wikispaces.com/

http://www.willowbankschool.co.nz/in...rolment-zoning

http://online.mhp.school.nz/

Half Moon Bay area

http://www.wakaaranga.school.nz/

http://www.bbps.school.nz/

http://www.pigeon-mountain.school.nz/Site/Home.ashx

http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...d/manukau-city
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:33 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I second East Auckland (except I don't want prices to be pushed up by a bunch of British expats moving in!! ) There are some nice areas and it's quite a bit cheaper than the North Shore which is the other place Brits seem to favour.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we are in east Auckland (Cockle Bay).

Bought house here 3 years ago (been in NZ 5 years). Lovely area, we are walking distance to Howick village, beach. Howick village has lovely market on Saturday morning.

Lots of amenities in Howick - local shops, supermarket, vege shops, bakeries, cafes, pharmacies, restaurants, bars, cinema, post office, very nice.

Cockle Bay beach has nice park near it and tennis court.

Just up the road (10 min drive) is Botany Town Centre - largish town centre with supermarkets, all the shops you may need, lots of eateries and restaurants, cinema, bowling, ice skating. Very tidy and pleasant town centre.

Half Moon Bay 10 mins drive away - lovely restaurants/cafes at Marina, good schools. Ferry to CBD from Half Moon Bay. Ferry to Waiheke and Rangitoto (I think Rangitoto summer only).

Bucklands Beach/Eastern Beach 10 mins drive away - nice beaches/beach walks, cafes.

Beachlands/Pineharbour 20-30 min drive - nice marina with some eateries! Ferry to CBD from Pineharbour. Nice beach at Sunkist Bay. Popular beach at Maraetai (5 mins from Beachlands) with park/cafes on seafront.

Local schools great - Buckland Beach Primary, Point View Primary, Somerville Intermediate, Bucklands Beach Intermediate, Botany Downs Secondary College, Howick College, Macleans College to name a few.

Good bus services in the area.

Drive to Auckland CBD - 20 mins quiet times, up to an hour plus in peak times.

Think I've covered most things ...

Very happy here
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Also try 'East Auckland Grapevine' via Facebook for specific local questions
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think cost of living (house prices aside maybe) will be similar but the real killer and the reason so many Kiwis go to Australia is that salaries tend to be massively higher in Australia than NZ. So it depends on your individual situation, if you are coming on an Expat type deal you may be insulated from the similar cost of living for lower salaries effect.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi everyone

Can't help at all with Auckland as we are down in the Nelson and Bays area.
Just wanted to welcome you to our NZ forum and say good luck with the move.
You'll be coming into an NZ Spring and Summer which will go nicely with the quaffing of Zifandel wine Stonecroft make it here so you should find that on the shelves.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:16 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just wanted to welcome you to our NZ forum and say good luck with the move.
Sorry I'm not much help, I'm not in NZ or Aus, but I too wanted to second BEVS and welcome you to the forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.