Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland in July

Moving to Auckland in July

Old May 13th 2014, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

HaltyLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Auckland in July

Hello the resignations are in and the flights are booked for July 21st so there is no turning back now. Moving to Auckland and plan to live in either Glendowie or St.Helliers dependent on available rental houses.

Ive got a couple of questions which will help solve a few nagging doubts. "Have we thought of everything"

- We have not managed to sell the house yet so it looks like we might have to rent it out for a while. Has anyone else done this and is there any pitfalls we should watch out for when renting while living overseas.
- Have people kept there pensions and bank accounts etc in UK? is there any restrictions on doing this?
- I thought i read somewhere that you had three years to transfer your money without any tax penalties? Is there any time limit or did i just imagine that?
- We have some financial things that we can keep going in the UK but they require us to have a UK address. How have people managed this? Mam & Dad address, PO Box or is there some other option?
- If there was one thing you did not think of/forgot before the move that has caused you big problems since what would it be?

Hope thats not too many questions but would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Last edited by HaltyLad; May 13th 2014 at 10:14 pm.
Old May 14th 2014, 12:52 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Auckland in July

Originally Posted by HaltyLad
Hello the resignations are in and the flights are booked for July 21st so there is no turning back now. Moving to Auckland and plan to live in either Glendowie or St.Helliers dependent on available rental houses.
Welcome to BE

Originally Posted by Haltylad
Ive got a couple of questions which will help solve a few nagging doubts. "Have we thought of everything"

- We have not managed to sell the house yet so it looks like we might have to rent it out for a while. Has anyone else done this and is there any pitfalls we should watch out for when renting while living overseas.
if you are getting an income from UK you will need to inform IRD and then I think if you sell there is Capital gains tax now (?)

- Have people kept there pensions and bank accounts etc in UK? is there any restrictions on doing this?
We have left pension in the UK for the last 2 years thinking of bringing it over now as not really performing well and could get better returns on putting into Kiwisaver but something we are looking at.

- I thought i read somewhere that you had three years to transfer your money without any tax penalties? Is there any time limit or did i just imagine that?
I think it is 4 years but there has been some changes lately so not really sure if that is still up to date
- We have some financial things that we can keep going in the UK but they require us to have a UK address. How have people managed this? Mam & Dad address, PO Box or is there some other option?
We have had our address changed to parents one but we don't really have anything other than the pensions still running in the UK, pension company are aware we are not domiciled in UK. We wanted to keep it as we have kept the bank accounts open. You may need to look at each financial item requirements for not being domiciled in the UK and act accordingly

- If there was one thing you did not think of/forgot before the move that has caused you big problems since what would it be?
Closing mobile phone contract, not informing the insurance company that the house was going to be empty for 3 mths

Hope thats not too many questions but would be grateful for any advice. Cheers

Hope that helps a little

Last edited by BEVS; May 14th 2014 at 1:21 am. Reason: the problemo with quotes
Old May 14th 2014, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

GSAI is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We also look like we will be arriving in July, job offer accepted, just going through the visa process.

Initially I would like to spend 2 months renting a spacious 1 bed apartment in CBD to setup base and allow an easier settling in period for my family prior to finding a place when our household goods arrive.

Does anyone know of anyone who has an apartment for rent for 2 months rather than dealing with agents?

Thanks
Old May 14th 2014, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Northwood letting agency in Chester or Wrexham, they do a guaranteed income scheme on their lettings. And have a look on ird.govt.nz for "transitional residents" that will tell you about what you have to declare over here. Good luck.