British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Moving to Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-auckland-769053/)

muchachamama Aug 21st 2012 8:57 pm

Moving to Auckland

Hiya

My family and I are moving to Auckland early 2013, I have two samll children and am going to be working in the East Tamaki area. I am really keen on the Bucklands Beach area, good schools, beach etc...does anyone have any feedback about living there, any good recommendations for kinders etc etc???REALLY appreciated!!!!:)

chrisd90 Aug 22nd 2012 6:53 am

Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi we arrived in Auckland 6 weeks ago, I am also working in East Tamaki and my family and I are living in Bucklands beach.
Its a great area to live my kids are 2 1/2 and 10 months so cant really comment on schools but the provisions for the little ones is very good with lots to do.
Its very close to eastern and bucklands beach both of which are very nice and macleans park is excellent. If you like shopping then Botany is very close this is a huge shopping centre which will cater for all your needs.

The only downside to the area is that its very expensive to rent, especially if you are in the macleans school zone.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions then let me know.

Cheers

Chris

Maria16b Aug 22nd 2012 7:29 am

My husband Chris has already replied for you but I thought I would just adds female word or too (for the benefit of your wife mostly).

The schools around here are excellent from what I am hearing although our daughter is only 2 1/2 at the moment. The kindys are plentiful but seem to have waiting lists. The kids get 20 hours free from 3 but it seems most have a 6 month waiting list. There are other options though and our daughter starts kauri kids on Monday who also honor the free hours. There are also play centers which are free as the parents run them. There is a high commitment required though. We have joined a few playgroups and mainly music groups where everyone is friendly and welcoming. In the howick area there is a group of expats mums who meet for coffee once a week. They are a lovely bunch and have been great for support and info. If this is something you fancy perhaps let me know nearer the time and I can put you in touch.
Baby stuff is expensive here so if you need a new pram, car sets etc then buy before you come out!
Bucklands beach is nice and my kids and I walk to the beach at least once a week (and it's winter!), but most people I have met live more towards cockle bay, howick (picton street area), or melons bay. To be honest I think it's prettier and would happily move that way myself. We are in the road where both macleans primary and collage are So we are paying over the odds, and I don't think it's worth it. Money here can be tight when you first get here until you find your feet and you start to understand the seasonality of the food in the supermarkets and where the fruit shops and buckets are. Eg it's currently $4.60 for a cucumber!!
All in all though it's lovely here, it's picturesque, we are settling in and finding our feet and already wouldn't dream of moving back.......

Let us know if we can be any more help (personal email perhaps). And good luck!!!
Maria

muchachamama Aug 22nd 2012 11:23 am

Hi Chris and Maria

Thanks for all that very helpful info, our kids are nearly three (In a week!!) and five months, so all the baby groups would be great. I am trying to get my son down on a kinder list as he will I hope have one next term at the local nursery...it seems the free hours when they are three is similar to UK. He is v lively and quite bright so I think will flourish in NZ with all the outdoor space and activities, so hard to go to the beach without freezing to death here in UK!!! Do you know when kids start school over there?? I think it is 5, here Seb would have to start next Sept when he will only be 4, another thing I was a bit worried about in UK...

I lived in Melbourne for 3 years in my single days so the whole expensive/seasonal fruit and veggies thing is not new to me!! We went there in 2010 to visit my family and bananas were $12 a bunch OMG esp as my son at the time ate 1-2 a day!! And cafes were v pricey comapred to UK but I kind of hope NZ is not quite so bad as Aus is now. In UK the supermarkets are so cheap now it is a shock to see prices elsewhere. Also I was aware of the high costs of things like white goods and baby equipment!!! Luckily work are paying my relocation expenses so it will be a huge shipment!!

It seems Bucklands is a nice but slightly pricey place to live, like you I am more concerned for primary schools in the next few years but have my eye on Macleans too as that is one of the reasons we are moving ie the rubbish secondary schools in south london unless you go private which costs as well of course as a good job and hopefully better QOL. I am working for a mental health service so funny if it were the same place your husband works!!! I think there are a lot fo businesses in East Tamaki from what I can see!

It is great to find this website and start to put out feelers, I found in Melbourne it was hard to really make friends with local people for a while and having others in the same situation (ex UK, NZ) made it so much easier and more fun to feel at home! I guess with kids too it is great to feel there will eb networks i can slot into. I will only be working three days a week so hope to have time with my little one to do those things.

I am hoping to cycle when I get over rather than drive, I did this in Melbourne.

We hope to arrive Feb 2013. I am already excited!

Zoe

Maria16b Aug 24th 2012 9:37 pm

Hi Zoe,

You'll easily cycle to work! Chris mountain bikes and I did before kids and we can't wait for our container with our bikes to arrive!

Sounds like you know what you are letting yourself in for with the move and have your heads in the right place. If you want to chat more my email is
[email protected]
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Maria

Assanah Aug 25th 2012 10:12 am

Originally Posted by muchachamama (Post 10240106)
I lived in Melbourne for 3 years in my single days so the whole expensive/seasonal fruit and veggies thing is not new to me!! We went there in 2010 to visit my family and bananas were $12 a bunch OMG esp as my son at the time ate 1-2 a day!! And cafes were v pricey comapred to UK but I kind of hope NZ is not quite so bad as Aus is now.

Zoe

Hi Zoe

I am pretty sure that Auckland is a bit cheaper than Melbourne. However, the salary is also lower in Auckland. To be safe I would expect very high prices. A few things will be a lot more expensive in Auckland than in Melbourne. For example, we bought 200g of Nestle coffee for about $5 in Melbourne (ALDI), in Auckland I pay about $8 for 100g (Pack n save).

I am from Germany, and I was completely shocked how expensive nearly everything is here compared to Germany. Unless your salary is high, standard of living is lower in Auckland compared to the one you would have in Germany. For example, in Auckland a movie ticket is $17, in Germany €9.50. Musical: cheapest ticket I got in Auckland $75, in Germany €25. Germany is know for cheap food, so I won't even start to compare. If your salary is high you will have a great time in Auckland if you are into the outdoors and sports! :thumbsup: