Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland

Moving to Auckland

Old May 19th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

thehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nice
Smile Moving to Auckland

Hi there,

This is my first ever post. Me, my husband, our 5 years old son Alfie and our 2 year only daughter Lola are moving to Auckland at the end on July. I'm just not sure where to start. It has all come quite quick as my husband was only offered a job about 2 months ago and they want him to start in September.

Just a few questions I would like answers for (thats if anyone has them). Should I shop around to get quotes for shipping things over? When should I start to think about shipping over? Where can I look to find a furnished house for a few months? Is it best to get a 1 stop flight or a 2 stop flight with 2 kids? Should I look for schools when we get over there for Alfie or should I look from over here?

I know I only said a few things but I just don't know what to do!!!

Any help would be appriciated.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:49 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi thehortons. I hope you don't mind but I have moved this to start a new thread for you. I think you will get more replies this way.

You've certainly come to the right place to get help . Lots of friendly people on here who will be only too willing to help you. I'm sure you're on a roller-coaster ride of emotions right now.

You will be better off asking most of your questions in the main forum as that will attract the most replies.

I can answer a couple of questions to be going on with. Get at least 3 quotes for shipping your stuff over & then negotiate. Lots of threads have been done on this in the past so also try a 'search' of these. Get these done sooner rather than later. You'll need to decide what you want to bring with you. It's a good time to have a sort out. We had many trips to the tip before we arrived

Where you live will usually be determined by where your OH is going to be based for work. Various places will have details of rentals; Trademe, Real Estate agents eg. Bayley's, Harcourt's, Ray White, Barfoot & Thompson. Most rentals tend to be without furniture but you can hire some stuff or head to the Warehouse for some cheap things.

Good luck with your plans
Old May 19th 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

thehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nicethehortons is just really nice

Thank you for your quick response. I will look into the shipping on the search. Also, my OH will be based in Mt Wellington, so if anyone knows of areas around there that is close to nice schools that would be great information aswell.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by thehortons View Post
Hi there,

Is it best to get a 1 stop flight or a 2 stop flight with 2 kids?
Hi and welcome,
We've got two boys, now 10 and 12 and they've done the trip 3 times with us. When searching for a flight I usually look for the minimum total trip time with short (usually about 2hr) stops, I wouldn't want to be spending, say, 4 or 5 hours trying to find things to do in an airport with a couple of children. Try to choose an airline with a good variety of seat back entertainment (our last two trips were with Emirates and Air NZ - both good) in my opinion the most significant advance in travelling with children! Then hopefully they'll be watching, sleeping or eating.
An alternative is a proper stopover of a few days, but then there's the hassle of checking in and collecting baggage again, and as you'll probably be using your full luggage allowance, the less you have to carry your bags the better.
If the fares are equal then my preference is Air NZ - one stop, I've only gone via LA (not HK) where the transit process is a bit of a pain but at least it gives you something to do while you're waiting.
John.
Old May 21st 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

transientmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Hortons

I am even newer to this forum than you but will share my thoughts anyhow as we did come over to New Zealand for three months last year with three children and am now in the same position as you at the mo, though moving to the Kapiti Coast / Horowhenua area.

With the flights I would definitely advise the short stop over. I came out on my own with an 8yr old, 4 yr old and a 7 month old baby last year as my partner had gone ahead to take up a secondment. I flew via Hong Kong with Air NewZealand and found the flight times helped the children (though not the baby unfortunately) to sleep well on both flights..the first one was at night anyhow and the second was kept dim and quiet and possibly because of the poor quality of sleep they had the night before they were able to sleep most of the second flight aswell. I don't think I could have coped with the hassle of a stopover followed by children who were well rested and refreshed during the second flight - even with the excellent in-flight entertainment...it would have killed me!

However since my 7 month old is now a very "strong willed" and noisy toddler who can't even sit in a pushchair for five mins, I would be interested to hear how you get on with your flights with your two year old as you are going ahead of us!

Regarding rentals, we are in the same situation and I can tell you we are finding it really hard to find quality furnished rented property in New Zealand. Last year we stayed for three months in a bach on the beach since baches were the only fully furnished properties we could find on arrival. If you check out the bookabach.co.nz and holidayhouses.co.nz websites you may be able to find something suitable. Don't be put off by the advertised prices which are worked out based on a stay of only two or three days. If you email the properties you like you could negotiate a better rate for a longer stay. The bach we rented last March to May was advertised at $200 a night yet we rented it for $550 a week in the end (which included the Easter Hols) .

Like you we are in the process of contacting schools now and we have decided to apply once in New Zealand as we need to find a property within the Homezone first and gaining admission doesn't seem to be a problem in the Kapiti to Levin areas anyhow where the schools are not generally oversubscribed. I think the kids will have to miss a couple of weeks in the process but at least we will get to have a look around the schools (and areas) first. Just wished we had treated last year as a reccy visit rather than a holiday and we wouldn't be in this mess!

Bye for now anyhow and I hope you like Auckland..we really loved our time there, it's an incredible city and I am envious that you will be getting the warmer weather too!

Claire
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

This is my first ever post. Me, my husband, our 5 years old son Alfie and our 2 year only daughter Lola are moving to Auckland at the end on July. I'm just not sure where to start. It has all come quite quick as my husband was only offered a job about 2 months ago and they want him to start in September.

Just a few questions I would like answers for (thats if anyone has them). Should I shop around to get quotes for shipping things over? When should I start to think about shipping over? Where can I look to find a furnished house for a few months? Is it best to get a 1 stop flight or a 2 stop flight with 2 kids? Should I look for schools when we get over there for Alfie or should I look from over here?

I know I only said a few things but I just don't know what to do!!!

Any help would be appriciated.
Hi there, I would suggest looking on www.trademe.co.nz for furnished homes, its really the 1 stop shop for everything in NZ these days and will give you a good idea of pricing etc. As for the flights I go via LA with a 1 days stopover in a hotel local to the airport, I found it was great to let the kids sleep in a bed and the hotel had plenty to keep the busy, especially the pool! Good luck with it all
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

jaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nicejaynepc is just really nice

Thank you for your quick response. I will look into the shipping on the search. Also, my OH will be based in Mt Wellington, so if anyone knows of areas around there that is close to nice schools that would be great information aswell.
Hi, I live in Ellerslie which is the next suburb to MT wellington...a few mins drive only. It is a good place to live....good schools i think that i have heard of and good rail/bus/road links in and out of the city