Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Auckland

Moving to Auckland

Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

shevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really nice
Default Moving to Auckland

Hi all,

Me, Siobhan and my partner are hoping to move to Auckland this year, my boyf is from there but I'm not! worried about the big move and have two dogs to bring over... Looking forward to gettin to know people on here who are in the same boat!
My boyf is starting with Jet star but I will have to start looking for work asap, am just finishing my degree in animal behaviour and welfare so any hints would be really appreciated!!!
Has anyone moved recently? how do they find it? and where is the best place to live? Parnell... Ponsonby?

Thanks for any replies!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

ajayshah is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving to Auckland

hey,

my wife and i moved over in Jan, Kay has just started work with Qantas and I have just sorted a job with AirNZ... am jut waiting for all my visa paperwork to be sorted...

we're living in the city centre at the momnet, figured it would be a good place to start while looking for work.. parnell and ponsonby are both very treendy places, also both V expensive!
we are looking at places like MT Eden, Ellerslie.. and Remuera (also Expensive)..

we're not finding it too tough being out here, there are times though for sure!

i have a few mates here from when I was travelling many years ago but am on the hunt for new friemnds, both kiwi and expats to share the experience with..

hope you hear from you..

take care
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

shevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really niceshevvie is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Auckland

Hi there,

What jobs do you have with Qantas and AirNZ?
we are also trying to decide what furniture etc to ship over, any suggestions? Dont want to bring too much!

which part of the city are you living in? also are there any good web sites to find rental properties?

Sounds like you have settled in ok!

I am just starting to fill in all my visa forms, Nick will be moving before me as his job will start in July, we think!

Thanks for replying!

Siobhan
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Auckland

Originally Posted by shevvie
Hi there,

What jobs do you have with Qantas and AirNZ?
we are also trying to decide what furniture etc to ship over, any suggestions? Dont want to bring too much!

which part of the city are you living in? also are there any good web sites to find rental properties?

Sounds like you have settled in ok!

I am just starting to fill in all my visa forms, Nick will be moving before me as his job will start in July, we think!

Thanks for replying!

Siobhan
Best website for renting is trademe.co.nz. also good for looking at 2hd hand furniture etc, may give you an idea if its worth shipping stuff over.
Parnell and ponsonby both great, i prefer ponsonby as parnell can be a bit CBD-ish. Grey Lynn is practically ponsonby but cheaper

Most rentals are unfurnished, some have "whiteware" which includeds fridge washing machine etc.

CBD apartments are more likely to be furnished, but you wont get any taking pets.

If youre bringing dogs you need to think carefully about rental propertiues, as places like ponsonby etc are either apartmenty and are unlikey to accept tham or really expensive. In that case you might have to think about living a bit further out. Its really expensive to bring pets over as far as i know.