Moving alone..

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

kiwiwannabe4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving alone..

Hey there,
I'm well and truly new to this forum it seems nice! Has anyone any tips on emmigrating from the uk as a qualified nurse to start a new live down under, alone?? I've done all major research needed, but it's the thought of moving all the way across the world completely alone. Like how much would you say I need to budget etc, also anyone know any good tips for meeting new friends and integrating properly??

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:02 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving alone..

Welcome. well you've made a good start by posting on here.

Do you have any idea on where you want to be in NZ, that may help with setting you up with people local to your area. Do you have a job or still looking.

Tell us a bit more about yourself and your plans and we can take it from there.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & to our cosy NZ forums.

Immigrating to a new country can be very daunting as a couple/family so I can imagine that it's all the more so on your own. On the plus side, you don't have to worry about anyone else

You certainly won't be the first person to do this on your own. I think Lisamct came out on her own. She's a midwife & hopefully she'll be along at some point to offer you some guidance. Other names escape me for now (I'm getting on as well as being blonde!).

Best of luck with your plans & happy posting
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Well I thought about queenstown, and Auckland mainly big(ish) cities but then I'm drawn to the Waikato area, so I think I'm going to try and apply for some jobs with that health board, and see where I get one, nurses are in high demand and 4 of my friends nurse in nz in Auckland and Wellington . Hopefully move out there in about a year, I need to use the time getting experience whilst all the paperwork is going through
So yes, moving alone and possibly got the dog with me.. Haha should make things interesting!!

Wow thanks for the swift response!

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 23rd 2012 at 12:26 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:20 am
Banned

lfcfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent you a PM Kiwiwannabe
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by lfcfan
Sent you a PM Kiwiwannabe
As Kiwiwannabe is new here , it may be best for you to send an email via BE .

Hi there Kiwiwannabe & welcome to this wee forum.

It's great you will have a choice as to where you live and work. We had this same type of choice way back in 2004. Good also that you already have friends here. That will help no-end with your social life.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiwannabe4
Hey there,
I'm well and truly new to this forum it seems nice! Has anyone any tips on emmigrating from the uk as a qualified nurse to start a new live down under, alone?? I've done all major research needed, but it's the thought of moving all the way across the world completely alone. Like how much would you say I need to budget etc, also anyone know any good tips for meeting new friends and integrating properly??

Thanks!!!
Welcome to the sunny BE forum

Plenty of nurses on here all with their own experiences to draw from so shout out with any questions, there is no such thing as a daft question (mostly)
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

Hey kiwiwannabe4

I came out on my own last August. In the space of about 2 months I made the decision, got my visa, got a job and made my way here.

I didn't have any time to save etc (obviously!) so came out with my last UK pay cheque which was around $4000 and a suitacse and that's it!

I had a hotel booked for 2 weeks through my company and then I found a houseshare easily.

The whole process for me felt easy enough, apart from the emotional stuff which is a little harder!

I've made friends, moved in with my boyfriend, got my residency and feel very settled now.

There are a lot of ways to meet friends. I actualy met my girlfriends using gumtree! There are meetup groups to join and you'll find a lot of people in the same situation as you.

I say get up and move and worry about everything else later
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Wow!!
That's pretty epic I really really want to do that!!! But I know it's best to get my experience and go in a year or so!! Ive just turned 21 so its not like 2 years are going to make a huge difference lol it's just me being impatient!! Where did you decide to live??
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Miss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud ofMiss Nic has much to be proud of

Well if you need to get experience back home then yeah, give it some time
The job was in Auckland so my decision was made from that really. I did originally want to live down in the South Island and I would still like to move down there some day but the job I do isn't readily available anywhere but Auckland really. Its a great city though!