British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   moving abroad---or to new area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-abroad-new-area-639163/)

concretepump Nov 5th 2009 7:09 am

moving abroad---or to new area

i think you have two look on moving to a different country, bit like moving across, you own country, that you are so far away from friends and relations
you would need a stop over to see them,
i don't know if its because i was born in the country, that makes me love nz so much like a lot of places in NZ there are just bus and old lorries just parked in a field and people live there, and do a lot of bartering work maybe one day a week chill out for the rest, i know its not for everyone, but i do think you have to try and blend in with the locals, i worked with quite a few Maori
and for the first two weeks they never hardly spoke to me thought i was a spy for the boss man, after that they all opened up like we had know each other for years,
but it takes a lot of hard work to fit in you have to change your lifestyle,
and after all its only a plane ride away we all keep in touch and are going back to see them again this Xmas, have a friend who left UK for Perth early this year been back to UK for five years then went back after living there for sixteen years but we phone each other every week, even my children who are grown up now only see them weeks at a time i think you just have to stop and get your bearings people can come to visit at least once a year
there is a slower place of life in NZ and summers are longer as long as people are not money motivated, then there is no reason why you cant make a new life in NZ, hopefully i have tried to get some points across to help people think more clearly about moving NZ or any where

garfield250 Nov 5th 2009 7:14 pm

Re: moving abroad---or to new area

I agree with what you have said, I live out in the wop wops and everything is a bartering system even down to fresh food items. Eggs, meat, veges etc.

In my case I was born and raised in a city but love the country lifestyle.
When we arrived four years ago it was initially diificult to settle but we went out to meet people, invited neighbours to the barbies and offered to help out around their farms and land, I went on to take a course in Te Reo to help me learn some of the Maori culture.
Many of our friends seem to have forgotten we are poms and we are treated as though we have been around for ever......
Its a case of altering ones mindset and going out to meet the challenges, changing your outlook on life and slipping in with the way of life here, especially in some rural areas where there is no time limitations, things will get done whenever, theres no rush, she'll be right kind of outlook.

love30stm Nov 5th 2009 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by garfield250 (Post 8073973)
I agree with what you have said, I live out in the wop wops and everything is a bartering system even down to fresh food items. Eggs, meat, veges etc.

When we arrived four years ago it was initially diificult to settle but we went out to meet people, invited neighbours to the barbies and offered to help out around their farms and land, I went on to take a course in Te Reo to help me learn some of the Maori culture.
Many of our friends seem to have forgotten we are poms and we are treated as though we have been around for ever......
Its a case of altering ones mindset and going out to meet the challenges, changing your outlook on life and slipping in with the way of life here, especially in some rural areas where there is no time limitations, things will get done whenever, theres no rush, she'll be right kind of outlook.

Ummm now i know why Wanganui dont suit me ;)

love30stm Nov 5th 2009 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by garfield250 (Post 8073973)

And that depends what area you are living in btw!! I still find Wanganui a hard place to make friends , and I don't like it too rural in fact its getting to me now :(

the one friend I do have in Wangas does not like it here either and she and her family are hoping to move to the South Island next year!

we are here for a few more years, until the job situtation gets a bit better and my daughter goes through school.

luvwelly Nov 5th 2009 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 8074337)
Ummm now i know why Wanganui dont suit me ;)

:rofl: changing your whole pysche after the age of 35 just to 'fit in' ....doesn't appeal to me either. One man's meat....etc

garfield250 Nov 5th 2009 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 8074351)
And that depends what area you are living in btw!! I still find Wanganui a hard place to make friends , and I don't like it too rural in fact its getting to me now :(

the one friend I do have in Wangas does not like it here either and she and her family are hoping to move to the South Island next year!

we are here for a few more years, until the job situtation gets a bit better and my daughter goes through school.

I know what you mean, some of our friends who live closer to town have found it very difficult to make friends, not through the want of trying. They are even considering moving to the bigger centres.

I also think that when we arrived there was a large group of expats arriving together and we have managed to stay a close group and have also met their friends etc, so the circle has widened, which is a fortunate experience for us.

It just seems that out in the rural areas the local farmers tend to be more open and friendly, we have friends who, like us live in a rural area, Waitotara and Waverly, who have had similar examples.

But I also know that rural living is not for everyone, it suits me as we like the peace and tranquility, and as many people say, each to their own.

Justcol Nov 6th 2009 2:24 am

I hope this doesnt sound offensive.

I hate the type of picture you have painted on NZ
The country hick way of thinking is what holds this country back.
It has so much to offer and could offer its people so much more
if the Hill Billy attitude was thrown out of the window.
This country needs to wake up or die, it cannot compete in a global
ecconomic market with the farmer Giles way of thinking that so many
think is an admirable quality.

Hokey-pokey Nov 6th 2009 3:38 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8074808)
This country needs to wake up or die, it cannot compete in a global
ecconomic market with the farmer Giles way of thinking that so many
think is an admirable quality.

Farmer Giles ? Sounds like some poncy Brit farmer sporting tweeds. Think you should try " Fred Dagg ". ( He's on Wiki ):D