Moving on

Old Apr 28th 2022, 10:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving on

Lived in New Zealand since 2003 but it's time to move on, to Australia as it happens. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend living in New Zealand if you enjoy unspoiled natural beauty of the countryside and an agreeable climate. The only thing I would say is do your budgeting very carefully before taking the plunge because it's a really expensive country to live in now.

I still have connections and may return in the future if the economic situation becomes more favourable for me again. However for now the siren song of the open road and new adventures calls.

Wishing everyone happiness and prosperity.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving on

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Lived in New Zealand since 2003 but it's time to move on, to Australia as it happens. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend living in New Zealand if you enjoy unspoiled natural beauty of the countryside and an agreeable climate. The only thing I would say is do your budgeting very carefully before taking the plunge because it's a really expensive country to live in now.

I still have connections and may return in the future if the economic situation becomes more favourable for me again. However for now the siren song of the open road and new adventures calls.

Good luck on your journey and exciting adventure ahead. Where in Australia are you headed?
Old Apr 28th 2022, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
Good luck on your journey and exciting adventure ahead. Where in Australia are you headed?
There's a whole other post for that.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 1:36 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
​​​Thanks. ​​​​​ NSW initially but I'll definitely take some time to visit all the major cities I haven't so far and do a few road trips.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck Charismatic, I hope it all goes well for you; there won't be many of us left in NZ, I sense there will be a lot more that follow suit over the next few months.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 9:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Best of luck Charismatic, I hope it all goes well for you; there won't be many of us left in NZ, I sense there will be a lot more that follow suit over the next few months.
Whenever there is a global commodities supercycle Australia becomes comparatively attractive.

On the other hand perhaps a period of population consolidation is what New Zealand needs to allow infrastructure, housing, wages and green energy to catch up with the immense population growth of the last decade.
Old Apr 30th 2022, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Whenever there is a global commodities supercycle Australia becomes comparatively attractive.

On the other hand perhaps a period of population consolidation is what New Zealand needs to allow infrastructure, housing, wages and green energy to catch up with the immense population growth of the last decade.
Population isn't New Zealand's problem, it never has been, look at the growth in cheaper and yet more successful countries such as Australia and Canada. Have a look here why there is such a housing crisis
https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/bu...20their%20name.

Yet your average Kiwi will say foreigners buying up housing is the main issue, i remember well into the pandemic after the borders were closed for some time reading comments on an article about this and there was one comment in particular that blamed the current crisis on overseas buyers lol. You see when some people don't understand aspects of politics, economics, social issues rather than have a read and form their own view which may be right or wrong they don't even read into it at all yet will freely comment on issues they have no understanding of and put forward points that have been proven incorrect. It's something that annoys me at times and i no doubt have done it myself. The problem is so many Kiwi's are convinced of this even though the evidence states the contrary that they are the issue themselves. If New Zealand wants to fix the current crisis it needs to look at itself, not others as to being the problem. I've never seen so many ordinary people own more than one home, back home it is unheard of. In Australia it's similar but there is obviously a lot more supply. When i arrived in Christchurch in 2013 due to so many houses being destroyed there was little supply, prices were crazy high. Then the local government went on a rampage of releasing land for residential development, building companies were in a boom and had plenty of workers and within a few years supply met demand and prices dropped and levelled off at a stable level, it helped that Christchurch prior to this had never been an investor market. In a few short years a housing crisis in a main city was fixed. This time there is alot more problems, lack of government action releasing land for development or it taking too long. A Lack of building material due to an insane reaction to restrict the movement of goods and services throughout the world in a pandemic and a most of all a lack of workers due to the fact that there is a booming housing market absolutely everywhere and with wages in places like Australia and Canada growing at a faster rate than New Zealand it is actually losing workers rather than gaining them. This is the biggest problem New Zealand faces today and if you fix the housing crisis you fix the biggest expenditure people face in their lives, where low income earners are able to secure a roof over their head yet no political party is serious about tackling it. They are toothless especially labor which shows they aren't taking this crisis seriously, they don't want to for obvious reasons

Last edited by paddy234; Apr 30th 2022 at 8:06 am.
Old May 1st 2022, 11:39 am
Truth is the safest lie.

I agree Paddy but there seems little willingness to change zoning etc. substantially either side of the house.l or at a district planning level. It's more likely to get "fixed" with an economic crash than new legislation, which is unfortunate for the wider economy.

New Zealand remains capable of attracting workers from overseas. As long as it can do so I expect thinks will carry on much as they always have.
​​​​​
Old May 2nd 2022, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move Charismatic, all the best!

Michelle
Old May 2nd 2022, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There is little to no provision for private/personal pensions in NZ
For years the only way to gain any sort financial stability in retirement has been to invest in property.
it's political suicide for any govt to make any form of serious attempt to change things

​​​​​​
Old May 2nd 2022, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Wow
This is a shock to read
Best of luck in Australia. I hope everything works out for you over there
Old May 5th 2022, 4:13 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Tom H
Wow
This is a shock to read
Best of luck in Australia. I hope everything works out for you over there
My biggest fear is summer heat. New Zealand has changed a lot over the last decade but I certainly wouldn't rule out living there again - if I can afford it.

Thank you all for your well wishes.
​​​​
Old May 5th 2022, 4:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest fear is summer heat. New Zealand has changed a lot over the last decade but I certainly wouldn't rule out living there again - if I can afford it.

Thank you all for your well wishes.
​​​​
Summers are pretty brutal in my home town of Perth, so if you plan a trip over the Nullarbor you might want to avoid November - March. But hey....... pool, beach, air con, cold beer, lots of mitigations

We can always do with more nice people in Oz, so

Old May 6th 2022, 3:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oh! I must admit I did wonder if this might be on the cards.
We'd take a punt at a few years in Oz ourselves if we were far younger.

All the best Charismatic . Happy Days and all that.
Old May 10th 2022, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with your new adventure and the exciting journeys visiting Cities in Australia…don’t forget Canberra often overlooked but well worth a visit (in my opinion) and I believe (according to my Aussie friend) Hobart is a gem. All the best x