British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   moving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/moving-620592/)

jack1971 Jul 16th 2009 9:33 pm

moving

Hi All

We are moving to NZ in October, can anyone tell me if the TV will work in NZ, we have got a newish Sony TV (2 years old), Also, has anyone used Robinson to move, not sure if I need to take out additional insurance to cover mould and mildew, with out the additional cover:confused: insurance cost is £800.00 and with it it is £1,000.00.

Thanks Jackie:confused:

RobDon Jul 16th 2009 9:46 pm

Re: moving

As far as I am aware the TV should work but I am sure someone on here can advise you if I am wrong! :)
We are going to use Robinsons, and have been offered insurance at 1 1/2%. ;) HTH

Matewx Jul 16th 2009 10:55 pm

Are you sure it'll work??

I seem to remember reading on here that most electric appliances dont work this side of the world...

Not sure... Sorry to bring a bit more confusions....

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 16th 2009 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7759456)

I seem to remember reading on here that most electric appliances dont work this side of the world...

All our electrical stuff works.:)

Matewx Jul 16th 2009 11:02 pm

I'll shut up n go packing/moving then :D

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 16th 2009 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7759480)
I'll shut up n go packing/moving then :D

I would :p

P2L Jul 17th 2009 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7759456)

You're just waffling now :rofl::rofl:

Yes to the original poster your TV will work. We have a Sony Bravia that we brought with us and no probs. However, what you may need to do is get your DVD player switched to multi region as the UK is region 2 and NZ is Region 4.

Everything else is fine to bring, just change the plugs when you get here or do as my mate TeamEmbo has done and swapped a socket in their house to a UK one (got rellies to bring one over I think) :thumbsup:

Another VERY useful tip is to stick a multi plug extension lead in your suitcase when you first travel over, for running your mobile phone chargers etc from.

steelblue Jul 17th 2009 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jack1971 (Post 7759299)
Hi All

We are moving to NZ in October, can anyone tell me if the TV will work in NZ, we have got a newish Sony TV (2 years old), Also, has anyone used Robinson to move, not sure if I need to take out additional insurance to cover mould and mildew, with out the additional cover:confused: insurance cost is £800.00 and with it it is £1,000.00.

Thanks Jackie:confused:

Hi,
We arrived in NZ 7weeks ago. Robinsons were great !! NZ Van Lines this side were just as good. I think it was about £3900 for a 20ft container inc the insurance.
We brought everything with us, freezer/tumbler dryer/sony tv/dvd/ps2 etc etc. Just bring a multi-gang extension lead with you - you then only have to replace one plug!

Just one other little tip...
I have a UK vodafone and the NZ vodafone sim would not work in my phone, as it was locked to the UK vodafone network.
Here vodafone has no competition and they do not lock their phones... this also means their staff 'don't know' how to unlock our UK phones.
To save some money... Get your mobile phone unlocked in the UK before you travel.

Good luck with the move :thumbsup:

thedtb Jul 17th 2009 6:16 pm

Is there any benefit in taking my Sky+ box to NZ? E.g. other than watching the programs recorded on it already, can it be used there as part of a "new" sky installation at all or is just worth leaving it behind?

aalls73 Jul 17th 2009 10:38 pm

Hi i wouldn't bother thinking of using it as sky+ HD is availiable here and athough you dont get as many channels here as we did at home we can record 2 programmes and watch another which is an improvement on the UK!!!!

Originally Posted by thedtb (Post 7761961)
Is there any benefit in taking my Sky+ box to NZ? E.g. other than watching the programs recorded on it already, can it be used there as part of a "new" sky installation at all or is just worth leaving it behind?