Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Move while in ITA stage

Move while in ITA stage

Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Move while in ITA stage

So I (we) have been thinking.

Going through ITA at the moment, yet to receive paper work.
I (we) were wondering about moving over to NZ now, rather than complete the rest of the application process while in the UK.

Main reason is job hunting; I do feel that most companies would be more willing to look at your application if you are based in NZ. Easy for interviews etc, looks good having a NZ address.

I fully understand we are unable to work but we can at least make inroads to securing employment.

.. only issue I can see; what if ITA is unsucessful. Alot of money and time wasted!

What are your thoughts people?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all
Default Re: Move while in ITA stage

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
So I (we) have been thinking.

Going through ITA at the moment, yet to receive paper work.
I (we) were wondering about moving over to NZ now, rather than complete the rest of the application process while in the UK.

Main reason is job hunting; I do feel that most companies would be more willing to look at your application if you are based in NZ. Easy for interviews etc, looks good having a NZ address.

I fully understand we are unable to work but we can at least make inroads to securing employment.

.. only issue I can see; what if ITA is unsucessful. Alot of money and time wasted!

What are your thoughts people?
Guys,

IMO you have hit the nail on the head it could be a lot of money wasted IF the ITA is unsuccessful.
I can see the logic in regards the job hunting, however there is also the risk that prospective employers may make the right sounds but as there is no guarantee that you will be successful with the ITA, and also which visa you may get issued, they may well overlook you in favour of a PR or citizen, especially in the current economic climate, it is a big leap of faith.
Depending on where you are looking at moving to, and as many people on here have previously stated, job interviews in some areas are as rare as rocking horse poop and in some cases there is not even a "thank you for your application".

Not trying to dash your dreams just trying to be practical, I do know of many expats who have PR who are unable to get jobs, not only in Wanganui but also in Wellington and Palmerston North, many employers are simply not hiring at the moment or if they are they are hiring kiwi's. One friend was told by an employer that he will not hire any overseas citizens!

If you can afford to come out and money is not an issue then yes take the chance BUT it may cost an awful lot of cash..............
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:43 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa are you planning to move over on whilst ITA in process?

Please bear in mind, a visitors visa is not a valid visa on which to move over. I know plenty of people who have come over on that and luckily secured jobs and therefore had the correct visa/permit in place for when their container turned up but that was when jobs were plentiful. On a visitors visa it is just that, for a holiday. If you did manage to get over on a visitors visa, you would have to pay customs duty if they allow your container entry. To avoid this you must have at least 12 month work visa.

To legally come and look for work I think you need a temporary business visa. Check NZIS website though.

Airport customs officers will be able to see on the system that you have an ITA in process. There is a chance they may refuse you entry at the airport if they believe you are trying to move here without a valid correct visa.

Although it is expensive, there is nothing to stop you or your OH obtaining the correct visa to come over and look for work and hopefully secure a job offer which will add points to your ITA and hopefully get you PR.

IMHO, I would certainly not advise moving over and shipping your stuff until you have the correct visa.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you guys loud and clear. Thanks very much for the concise replies!

It does make sense to stay put for the time being. I think I will "test the waters" and put a few jobs applications in, outlining that we are in ITA stage.

It would be a world of pain to get over there even temporary, get slightly settled then be told you got to go back!!!

We'll get ITA and get all that processed.