Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Move to wellington

Move to wellington

Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to wellington

Originally Posted by Justcol
coal boiler
Never seen one for a house, contours up an image involving shovels and bunkers
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of installing a 'wetback' on a woodburner to get hot water - would something like that work for running some radiators, or is just for hot water like in your shower?
Old Mar 12th 2018, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I have achieved it, its called central heating, 9 radiators in the house running off a coal boiler
I paid for it by saving up and not having european holidays
Well, good for you Justcol. Obviously you've got no family back in Europe or no need to visit them. Each to their own. I'd like my kids to see their grandparents whilst they're still alive and also to interact with their cousins + aunties & uncles in realtime instead of Skype/FB/Instagram.

If it takes me a bit longer to save up for the CH so be it - you can't make memories once the relevant participants are no longer with us.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
heat pumps price depend on the size of the rooms you are trying to heat, we had one put in last year for just the living/dining and came out just over 4k. Don't forget its multi functional as is also a air conditioner during the summer
Thank you MrsFychan. Maybe I wanted too much in one go Put like that it does look more affordable + there's not the hassle of lugging all the wood inside and all that's involved with lighting the fire.

May I ask how you keep the bedrooms warm as that's one of my biggest bugbears?

TIA
Old Mar 12th 2018, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
I've heard of installing a 'wetback' on a woodburner to get hot water - would something like that work for running some radiators, or is just for hot water like in your shower?
Yes back boilers will supply all hot water needs including heating. They will have two outflow and in flow pipes one for the heating pipes and one for the water supply. Pumps are part of the set up

A good heating engineer/plumber can do this for you. Just ask around
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad has always had a wetback attached to his woodburner. It pumps out the heat and keeps his water always really hot during the winter, and his electricity bill is relatively small because of it. I imagine if it can heat your hot water cylinder it could be fitted for radiators, although I have no idea how you'd go about it - plumbing isn't one of my talents. I'm not sure how you'd be able to set a timer on it tho'.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:50 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KOH2
Thank you MrsFychan. Maybe I wanted too much in one go Put like that it does look more affordable + there's not the hassle of lugging all the wood inside and all that's involved with lighting the fire.

May I ask how you keep the bedrooms warm as that's one of my biggest bugbears?

TIA
You can easily put in room-to-room distribution vents, the small fans in the roof space move the hot/cold air as required from room to room, it means the heat pump will run a bit harder.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Well, good for you Justcol. Obviously you've got no family back in Europe or no need to visit them. Each to their own. I'd like my kids to see their grandparents whilst they're still alive and also to interact with their cousins + aunties & uncles in realtime instead of Skype/FB/Instagram.

If it takes me a bit longer to save up for the CH so be it - you can't make memories once the relevant participants are no longer with us.
No you cant which is why I've visited my family and children in France and the UK 4 times in the past 7 years and will be leaving again in 4 weeks to spend a month with them

Skip a trip every year and its paid for
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Never seen one for a house, contours up an image involving shovels and bunkers
Shovels and bunkers sounds like something from Dads Army

It has a hopper and auto feed.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
You can easily put in room-to-room distribution vents, the small fans in the roof space move the hot/cold air as required from room to room, it means the heat pump will run a bit harder.
Well, that's exactly what I got quoted $10,000 for - one heat pump distributing the heat through vents in the roof to the bedrooms.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 5:45 pm
It is what it is Member

Well, that's exactly what I got quoted $10,000 for - one heat pump distributing the heat through vents in the roof to the bedrooms.
Wow - you could have had 2-3 heat pumps for that price.

The vent kits are only a few hundred for 2-3 rooms from a single. Seems like a lot of labour in that price
Old Mar 14th 2018, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't forget to factor in the "speaks in an English accent surcharge"
That can often double an existing quote just by opening your mouth