Move is off...

Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Zippy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move is off...

Having done a great deal of reading on the lifestyle of gangs in NZ I have come to the conclusion that a move to NZ just is not worth it. It's not just what I have read here (in the scary story thread) - I have done lots of research and the risk of bumping into one of these guys is just too much. The gangs we have in this country are bad but I feel that the chances of ever coming into contact with any gang member is microscopic (and I wouldn't be of any interest to them) but these guys out in NZ seem to enjoy intimidation for intimidations' sake. The stories of brutality and rape are horrendous.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Move is off...

Originally Posted by Zippy2005
Having done a great deal of reading on the lifestyle of gangs in NZ I have come to the conclusion that a move to NZ just is not worth it. It's not just what I have read here (in the scary story thread) - I have done lots of research and the risk of bumping into one of these guys is just too much. The gangs we have in this country are bad but I feel that the chances of ever coming into contact with any gang member is microscopic (and I wouldn't be of any interest to them) but these guys out in NZ seem to enjoy intimidation for intimidations' sake. The stories of brutality and rape are horrendous.
This is certainly an over reaction. Things always sound worse when you are
at a distance. I've travelled alot and as long as you don't tempt fate you are
most unlikey to run into any problems. I lived in South Auckland (Papatoetoe)
during 1992-1995 and never felt unsafe for myself, my wife or baby.
FYI South Auckland is where most of the Maori/Islander people live.

Although I have to admit that I had my car stolen twice!
Once from the car park outside my office in central Auckland.
But then I could also tell you that somebody once tried to break into
my BMW in the South of France and worse in Marseille had a guy
walk behind to me when I was in a camper van stopped at traffic lights
on a sunny sunday afternoon and with a knife punture my back tyre.

I prefer not to live in NZ for many reasons that I can identify with European
expats that have lived in NZ, but not the gang thing. Maybe growing up in
Huntly means I was more accustomed to these black power block heads.

So NZ may not be for you if you want
* a career
* decent money/buying power
* not being totally issolated from the world
* etc etc etc

but don't be put off by these bike gangs, if you don't go into a pub in
a rough area you are unlikely to ever see them.

BTW Have you ever visited NZ?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:40 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

You are joking right?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:41 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Smell a Troll looking to stir it up... eh Zippy???????
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Move is off...

The gang problem is totally overstated. I doubt if any Brit coming here would live anywhere near a gang house, or rough Maori suburb (the whites can be rough too though).

Saying that I have met many Mongrel Mob members in A&Es in New Zealand and they have been pleasant and well mannered which is a comparison with your average foull mouthed, lippy middle class teenage oik out for a few beers in any town in England on a Friday night that I came across in the NHS.

Don't worry there is nothing to fear (but keep an eye out for the Albanian Mafioso who wants to make you a sex slave in Redditch ).
Roger
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

All I can say is What a joke.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:58 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Ha ha ha nice try... obvious troll...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:23 am
Just Joined

I'm not trying to stir things up - it was a genuine post. I was looking to visit with my wife and 2 children but I have been put off. There no point in spending £5K in visiting for a fact finding trip when I feel uneasy.

Lets just leave it at that.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough

I'm not trying to stir things up - it was a genuine post. I was looking to visit with my wife and 2 children but I have been put off. There no point in spending £5K in visiting for a fact finding trip when I feel uneasy.

Lets just leave it at that.
I can appreciate that after your research and listening to the experience of others you may have decided that NZ is not for you.

But please put some of the stories into context.

NZ is not a violent place, but that doesn’t mean that crime doesn’t happen. On the whole Kiwi’s are very warm, good natured and helpful. Like everywhere there will be some bad people too. NZ happens to have fewer...

If you visited you would have no reason to feel uneasy about personal safety.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:24 am
Deb+Chris

If this is a serious post, I can tell you that I think you're blowing things way out of proportion. We never felt threatened in any way in NZ (OK so we lived in a nice area).

We travelled around a bit, not knowing what to expect from one place to the next, but found we always felt safe. We hardly ever locked the car doors for instance, something which we always do now back home.

Seriously, you would be mad to let this stop you from going over. In all the things that made us come home, this wasn't one of them.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris

Seriously, you would be mad to let this stop you from going over. In all the things that made us come home, this wasn't one of them.
I appreciate all that has been said here - maybe I am being hasty. I shall think on this some more...thank you for all your comments.

Let this be the last post on this subject and get back to positive things...
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Poindexter is an unknown quantity at this point

Let this be the last post on this subject and get back to positive things
Err sorry ..... I see what's written above, but ........

You're winding us up right? You can NOT be serious !!!!!!

Well done all the exaggerating doom mongers .... guess this one's down to you !!!!!!!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poindexter
Err sorry ..... I see what's written above, but ........

You're winding us up right? You can NOT be serious !!!!!!

Well done all the exaggerating doom mongers .... guess this one's down to you !!!!!!!!
As I said before it is a serious post - if you can't take this on board and you think its a wind up then there will be no more posts on this subject (from me at least)
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:55 am

Kiwi26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Zippy, great post, at least you have voiced your concerns, and thats what its all about.

What you have to remember is that there are gangs in every single country, to varying degrees. The reason that they get exagerrated on forums such as these, is simply because thats what people focus on. Think of it like a news story in one of the UK tabloids.

Trust me, I am a kiwi, but have lived overseas as well, and all I can say is that there are good and bads all over the world.

If this country was over run by gangs noone would live here, and we still have one of the highest migrant intakes in the world.

Good luck with the decision making.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 5:06 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Zippy, I travelled all over NZ, lived in Dunedin but stayed a few weeks north of AKL as well. Never felt remotely threatened, though admittedly I was not in South AKL gang territory!

For comparison, it was always a lot less intimidating atmosphere than when I lived in Birmingham, Glasgow, Bristol or London.

A lot of NZ is as friendly as (say) Cornwall or the Scottish Highlands, esp S Island of NZ.

There may be a racial element to this feeling of intimidation/ gangs (ie Pakeha/ Maori tension) but I am not knowledgable enough to comment, other than to say that the Maori are very unevenly dispersed throughout NZ.