British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A move to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/move-nz-806330/)

MrsFychan Aug 20th 2013 6:15 am

Re: A move to NZ

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 10859293)
Is, 'Transmission Gully' road building project different to Kapiti Expressway ?

yes

Snap Shot Aug 20th 2013 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Purrball (Post 10858473)
If you do end up looking more closely at the Kapiti Coast, be aware that there's a big roading project happening there called the Kapiti Expressway which may blight some areas. Don't know much more, but it's possibly worth doing a little research on, just in case... particularly if you see any supposed housing bargains. ;)

Please Google, 'Transmission Gully' in Wellington for the same reason.

kitti Aug 20th 2013 8:12 am

Kapiti Expressway is the bit through Kapiti itself. Transmission Gully is MacKays Crossing to Linden. That is, from Kapiti towards Wellington.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/transmission-gully/

jodaid Aug 20th 2013 7:38 pm

That's a serious amount of roading... 6 years of building (ouch).

*opens up possibility of Dunedin and starts hunting* :D

Snap Shot Aug 21st 2013 12:31 am

:D

Either that, or bring your own shovel !

dlmurray Aug 29th 2013 12:43 am

Hi jodaid - I moved from Manchester to Wellington just about a year ago.

It is true that it is windy, very windy. But from my experience, the weather is consistently warmer than the UK, but can seem a little rainy in the winter months.

For kids, it is an ideal place to bring up a family and the way of life is very relaxed.

One thing I would say, it can be quite expensive - but I don't know if that is an NZ thing in general but the price of milk and tomatoes horrifies me!

Happy to answer any questions you have...

Snap Shot Aug 29th 2013 2:24 am

You just had to do it didn't you ? Mention the price of tomatoes in NZ in August !

Here's hoping this thread can stay on topic despite the, 'firestarters' of the price of things.

kitti Aug 29th 2013 2:36 am

I went crazy and bought a tomato the other day. It is winter you know. Sheesh. What else do you expect? You're supposed to buy stuff IN SEASON! lol

At lease they still taste amazing. :)

I love love love it. Prices are what they are. Once you get over that, you're away.

JPA Aug 29th 2013 6:46 am

In defence of Wellington and earthquakes.

Whilst there has been some recent activity in the Wellington region, lets be clear that much of new Zealand straddles the Pacific / Australian plate boundary.

This runs right through NZ (both islands) and as a result there are many active faults capable of generating decent earthquakes. Save for the very top of the north island, most places can experience activity.

I had never experienced them until I got here and it was certainly an eye opener :eek:. You can't predict how it affects you until you experience it. But I wouldn't move cause we love it too much. So don't let it put you off Welly, its all part of what makes NZ such an amazing place.

Just do a bit of reading and come with eyes open in this respect. And hey - good luck!

M_and_M Aug 29th 2013 9:07 am

Hi there,

It depends on what you want from life exactly. I live in Southland, and whereas it isn't normally a tourist destination I like it because I am close to beaches, and ski slopes, both of which I could visit on the same day if I wanted to.

I have Queenstown, Dunedin, wanaka, and the Catlins all close by, and the small town feel is something I really like. I can get what I need, or order it online (often from the UK which is cheaper!) plus, I have the only velodrome!

jodaid Aug 29th 2013 5:31 pm

Thanks all, this has really been quite useful to us and has had us looking at areas we never really considered before. Wellington does look good, but then so do a lot of places. We are still researching, but the house is on the market now :D

Let the job hunt begin!

Oh and just out of curiousity... how much are tomatoes? ;)

M_and_M Aug 29th 2013 6:51 pm

EXPENSIVE (till they come back in season!)

A Rush And A Push Aug 29th 2013 6:58 pm

I bought 4 large tomatoes the other day, they cost just over $4. I think they were $9.99 a kilo.

Much much cheaper in summer/autumn though and I grow lots of them at home too.

A Rush And A Push Aug 29th 2013 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push (Post 10876654)
I bought 4 large tomatoes the other day, they cost just over $4. I think they were $9.99 a kilo.

Much much cheaper in summer/autumn though and I grow lots of them at home too.

And I've no idea why that posted twice and don't know how to delete it!

jodaid Aug 29th 2013 7:00 pm

So, avoid out of season goodies... got it :D