A move to NZ

Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A move to NZ

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Is, 'Transmission Gully' road building project different to Kapiti Expressway ?
yes
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:17 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purrball
If you do end up looking more closely at the Kapiti Coast, be aware that there's a big roading project happening there called the Kapiti Expressway which may blight some areas. Don't know much more, but it's possibly worth doing a little research on, just in case... particularly if you see any supposed housing bargains.
Please Google, 'Transmission Gully' in Wellington for the same reason.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

Kapiti Expressway is the bit through Kapiti itself. Transmission Gully is MacKays Crossing to Linden. That is, from Kapiti towards Wellington.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/transmission-gully/
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

jodaid is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a serious amount of roading... 6 years of building (ouch).

*opens up possibility of Dunedin and starts hunting*
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Either that, or bring your own shovel !
Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:43 am
Just Joined

dlmurray is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jodaid - I moved from Manchester to Wellington just about a year ago.

It is true that it is windy, very windy. But from my experience, the weather is consistently warmer than the UK, but can seem a little rainy in the winter months.

For kids, it is an ideal place to bring up a family and the way of life is very relaxed.

One thing I would say, it can be quite expensive - but I don't know if that is an NZ thing in general but the price of milk and tomatoes horrifies me!

Happy to answer any questions you have...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:24 am

You just had to do it didn't you ? Mention the price of tomatoes in NZ in August !

Here's hoping this thread can stay on topic despite the, 'firestarters' of the price of things.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

I went crazy and bought a tomato the other day. It is winter you know. Sheesh. What else do you expect? You're supposed to buy stuff IN SEASON! lol

At lease they still taste amazing.

I love love love it. Prices are what they are. Once you get over that, you're away.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:46 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

In defence of Wellington and earthquakes.

Whilst there has been some recent activity in the Wellington region, lets be clear that much of new Zealand straddles the Pacific / Australian plate boundary.

This runs right through NZ (both islands) and as a result there are many active faults capable of generating decent earthquakes. Save for the very top of the north island, most places can experience activity.

I had never experienced them until I got here and it was certainly an eye opener . You can't predict how it affects you until you experience it. But I wouldn't move cause we love it too much. So don't let it put you off Welly, its all part of what makes NZ such an amazing place.

Just do a bit of reading and come with eyes open in this respect. And hey - good luck!

Last edited by JPA; Aug 29th 2013 at 6:51 am.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

It depends on what you want from life exactly. I live in Southland, and whereas it isn't normally a tourist destination I like it because I am close to beaches, and ski slopes, both of which I could visit on the same day if I wanted to.

I have Queenstown, Dunedin, wanaka, and the Catlins all close by, and the small town feel is something I really like. I can get what I need, or order it online (often from the UK which is cheaper!) plus, I have the only velodrome!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, this has really been quite useful to us and has had us looking at areas we never really considered before. Wellington does look good, but then so do a lot of places. We are still researching, but the house is on the market now

Let the job hunt begin!

Oh and just out of curiousity... how much are tomatoes?
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

EXPENSIVE (till they come back in season!)
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

I bought 4 large tomatoes the other day, they cost just over $4. I think they were $9.99 a kilo.

Much much cheaper in summer/autumn though and I grow lots of them at home too.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
I bought 4 large tomatoes the other day, they cost just over $4. I think they were $9.99 a kilo.

Much much cheaper in summer/autumn though and I grow lots of them at home too.
And I've no idea why that posted twice and don't know how to delete it!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

So, avoid out of season goodies... got it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.