A move to NZ

Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jodaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A move to NZ

Originally Posted by Purrball
Wellington's not really a city for family cycling, to be honest, particularly for kids. It's pretty hilly and breezy in most places and the weather can be unpredictable which is OK if you're into mountain biking, but that may not be what you're looking for. What's more, it's not really close to beaches, except for either a pocket of sand on Oriental Bay or the other bays around the harbour... or the bays around the east of the city, which can be a bit windswept and more suited to surfing, but on occasional good days, end up packed. As others have said, unless you have beachfront property, you'll end up taking them in the car somewhere anyway.

Wellington's best beaches are to the North up on the Kapiti Coast, from Paekakariki onwards where it's flattish and the weather's usually a little better. That could be a possibility if you don't mind a longish commute into town. The drive can be about 45-60 mins or so, the commuter trains go all the way up to Waikanae now and there are moves to extend them to Otaki, although that might be some years away.

Napier/Hastings/Havelock North would be OK, but the beach in Napier isn't suitable for swimming in many places as it's a bit dangerous due to a sudden and steep drop-off not far from shore. I don't know the south of the South Island too well, but with hospitals of their own, I'd look at Nelson and Tauranga if weather is an important factor. Nelson is lovely in its own little way, is handy to Tasman National Park for boating, hiking and fishing and so on, but can feel a little cut off. Tauranga is better placed for visiting Auckland and other North Island destinations and has a wonderful climate. It is a bit of a seasonal town, though. Tends to fill up over the summer as tons of people descend on the Mount.

Hope that adds a few things into the mix.
This is great, thanks
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:25 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, it happens. I would just remark that don't be so determined to settle that your pride won't let you see reality. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

We were once so determined to settle in Christchurch we were actually looking at houses to buy.

We viewed two or three houses. At least one of them had earthquake damage and was being sold with it's e.q.c. claim attached. This is an acceptable thing to do in Christchurch. (In the future, how do they assess earthquake damage, like 20 years later, when unseen earthquake damage has done things to the foundations etc ? Rhetorical question.)

I said to myself quite sternly, 'you are buying a house that is broken.' That was another, 'we can't live here' moment. The fact that neither of us could get a permanent job in Christchurch was the real reason, however, there were supporting issues too.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodaid
This is great, thanks

Apart from house prices and property, which I'm not really qualified to give advice on, the other good things I'd add about Wellington and the Kapiti Coast, is that with Wellington, you're at least close to some cultural events and institutions that are interesting.

If you get a craving to see a play, an exhibition or a show, maybe a gig, maybe exploring cafes and restaurants, you're far better placed to have that choice and variety close to Wellington, coming into town or staying late after work. These are the things that you don't generally get in somewhere like Nelson. What's more, you have all the big box stores nearbyish on the Kapiti Coast and Porriua. Friends of mine live out in Titahi Bay, which is also handy to a small beach.

Tauranga, to me, felt a little more cosmopolitan than Nelson, but wherever you end up, think like a Kiwi. Kids and bikes? People-carrier and maybe a small bike trailer. Then pack lunches on a weekend and take off to somewhere nice within an hour or so drive away.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

If your husband is in I.T, your best chances of employment for him would be in Auckland or Wellington. That's where most of the work is in that sector

For you, the opportunities are endless. All the regions have a district healthboard that own the hospitals as well as private ones like Southern Cross.

There's a lot of outstanding scenery for cycle rides in this country. We hired a bike out and went up the Port Hills. Tough on the legs for those that are unfit but a fantastic ride. Cycling along the passes is also a great ride I hear
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking at the Wellington region as a whole, Upper Hutt, particularly Mangaroa is a great area for outdoors. There are lots of lifestyle properties, of all budgets, and there is a great little decile 10 school that is one of Upper Hutt's best kept secrets. It has it's own swimming pool, great teachers and has only about 110 pupils, so my neighbour tells me, it's where his 3 boys go. It is a great village type community school and it has it's centenary next year. There are also great bike rides, lots of parks and walks, and so much more space than lower Hutt. The shopping isn't too bad either. The views are fantastic. Good Luck.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rule out Dunedin!

Yes, it's bloody freezing here (atm) but this winter has been relatively short and quite mild. We had early snow (in April!) and a few cold, chilly weeks and we have just had a bumper few weeks of blazing sunny, wintry days. We don't get as much rain down here, but it's colder for sure. We have easy access to Central Otago though, wonderful mecca of outdoors and camping galore. Central Otago is usually boiling hot in Summer, lovely dry heat and enough to keep three kids in cycle heaven for a while.

Plenty of places around Dunedin to explore too, beaches, Eco Sanctuary, lots of small towns within an hour's drive for a coffee/explore/another beach/lake, Otago Peninsula with penquins and albatross colony, chocolate factory!, bush walks and cycle tracks all around the city. There is a great library in the city centre and small ones dotted around some suburbs. One indoor soft play centre which is a bit grim but if needs must it does the job.

The key to living here is getting your house warm and toasty via insulation and proper curtains and even central heating/double glazing if you're in it for the long haul.

Not sure about IT jobs though, but we have a fairly big hospital - check out Southern District Health Board.

Dunedin is a small city, lots to do, sporty or cultural. Fairly decent restaurants, although no real top end restaurants so if you are used to Michelin stars Dunedin is not for you. Dunedin is great for schools and commuting but it is small compared to similar cities in the UK. Okay shopping but not that much choice. Lots of diversity as we are a University City, so a transient population but fairly friendly locals.

It's too small for us (and I grew up here) but I can really see how it suits families as cost of living is reasonable. Job security is a bit of a concern though, if you had a good job and lost it, often there might not be another choice of job to go to. Lower wages also probably in Dunedin, although I would if you work for University or Hospital you would be on a par with the rest of NZ.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodaid
Thank you so much for responses... There is lots of great information there, including places we hadn't even really looked at or considered that now seem appealing.

We intend to submit an EOI as soon as I find a job and will hopefully apply straight for residency. I suppose it depends on how long they give us to get over there. That failing, I guess it will be a work visa until it comes through, or alternatively, if my husband lands a job first he will apply for a work visa until I can submit the EOI and start residency.

My husbands work is in I.T and I work in Cardiology, i'm a Cardiac Physiologist that needs a reasonable size hospital to keep up my skills list... Some areas don't have any techs it appears lol... so job choices are fairly hard to come by. Fingers crossed it will be easier for my husband.

We kinda figured look for jobs in a decent amount of areas and see what happens. If we hear of a rough area we scrub it off the list If we hear of good ones... we look harder for jobs there

Thanks again

Job in Dunedin too!

http://www.healthdownsouth.co.nz/index.php?pageLoad=6.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

I'm from Leeds and now we live in Waikanae on the Kapiti coast of Wellington. Hubby commutes the hour on the train, and doesn't mind a bit as it's so lovely here. It's flat, safe, and lots of families here.

I love the fact that the city is there if I want it, but everything I want is here. There are lovely walks, the beach is five minutes away and the open countryside nearby. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Considering it could take 45 minutes to cross Leeds in the rush hour, 55 minutes on the train is nothing to live in this fabulous place. Good luck!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

OK- here's my two penn'orth for what it's worth- first, as you will see from many posts on this forum, NZ is not for everyone - why not rent out your house in the UK and give it a year and see how you like it before committing yourself? And a lot of people land somewhere and then move on to another area in NZ after a few months too - much easier when renting.
If I was to choose a place to live, I'd choose Napier, Tauranga, Taupo, Wellington (but high property prices and earthquakes), or Nelson. Some other places can be cold, rough, insular,generally dead end /depressing or a combination of all of those!
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

For what it's worth, I used to live in Nelson too. It's beautiful, but we were prone to 'cabin fever.' The strange thing is, I never go into Wellington, but I do like knowing it's there. If you're used to having lots of amenities, then being in a small place can be a bit difficult.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Yeah I saw that one thanks I don't think Dunedin is for us though (brrr)

Originally Posted by kitti
I'm from Leeds and now we live in Waikanae on the Kapiti coast of Wellington. Hubby commutes the hour on the train, and doesn't mind a bit as it's so lovely here. It's flat, safe, and lots of families here.

I love the fact that the city is there if I want it, but everything I want is here. There are lovely walks, the beach is five minutes away and the open countryside nearby. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Considering it could take 45 minutes to cross Leeds in the rush hour, 55 minutes on the train is nothing to live in this fabulous place. Good luck!
This is kind of what I think we are going to be looking at, thank you

Originally Posted by marooned5
OK- here's my two penn'orth for what it's worth- first, as you will see from many posts on this forum, NZ is not for everyone - why not rent out your house in the UK and give it a year and see how you like it before committing yourself? And a lot of people land somewhere and then move on to another area in NZ after a few months too - much easier when renting.
If I was to choose a place to live, I'd choose Napier, Tauranga, Taupo, Wellington (but high property prices and earthquakes), or Nelson. Some other places can be cold, rough, insular,generally dead end /depressing or a combination of all of those!
All these places you mentioned keep coming up, although we have added a few to the list thank you to peoples posts yay! We thought about renting, but decided selling is the best option for us.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

If you do end up looking more closely at the Kapiti Coast, be aware that there's a big roading project happening there called the Kapiti Expressway which may blight some areas. Don't know much more, but it's possibly worth doing a little research on, just in case... particularly if you see any supposed housing bargains.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Okie doke, thank you
Old Aug 20th 2013, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Here's a link to the site with information about the expressway. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/mackays-to-peka-peka/
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:13 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purrball
If you do end up looking more closely at the Kapiti Coast, be aware that there's a big roading project happening there called the Kapiti Expressway which may blight some areas. Don't know much more, but it's possibly worth doing a little research on, just in case... particularly if you see any supposed housing bargains.
Is, 'Transmission Gully' road building project different to Kapiti Expressway ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.