Move to NZ??????????

Move to NZ??????????

Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

nickhats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to NZ??????????

Hi all,

A 3 fold thread that I need some advice on:

My wife has been offered a job in Auckland, we're a bit indecisive about whether to take make the jump or not. Our thoughts:

1) On the visa that I will receive I don't think I will be able to work. Will $80,000 be enough for both of us to live comfortably enough with a 1 year old? We don't tend to waste money on luxury restaurants or going out drinking every night a week, but would need to pay for a nursery. We'd also like to live so as not to price pick at supermarkets or count pennies at the end of each month.
We would also like a decent house in a family friendly neighbourhood, without the worry of security (any ideas?).

2) Family back home - I know its different for everyone. But one of our main concerns is not being able to see family and for our son not seeing his cousins for a few years. In people's experience was this a major factor and how was it...?

3) We lived in Africa for 6 years and met many Kiwis there, who were all very nice and some that we count as close friends. However there are many people that say that Kiwi culture is very insular and difficult to get in to; true or not?

Other than these things I'm sure we'd love NZ and everything that it brings,but such a big decision needs some thought!...

Thanks to all those that can help.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Maynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really nice
Default Re: Move to NZ??????????

Why do you need to pay nursery fees if you're not working?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

nickhats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maynard Friedman
Why do you need to pay nursery fees if you're not working?
We'd like our son to mix with other children.

Awesome though, thanks for the help.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:00 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Why won't you be able to work? Even if your wife gets a work permit, you will be eligible for one based upon your relationship.

$80,000 is doable, plenty do it on less, but you will be limited in the choice of accommodation you can afford.

Family.....SKYPE helps, but different for everyone, family comes to see us now.

Been here 7 years now, so no probs integrating with the locals, but looking back it seemed harder when we were in Auckland.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:16 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickhats

Hes only a baby plenty of time to mix with other children when he starts school surely??

Last edited by love30stm; Nov 25th 2011 at 6:20 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickhats

You won't need to send him to nursery. I had twins aged 2 and there are soooooooooooo many toddler groups you can go to and stay with your child..its great fun (and I am a bloke)!! They are normally a $2 donation and they run every week day! I went to a diffo one each day, in Auckland there should be endless toddler groups. $80k will do you in Auckland if you take it easy (as you suggest that you do) and you get rental at the inexpensive end of the market. As for missing their rellies for a few years I reckon the fact that he has spent a few years in a different country will make up for that. My kids have only seen a few of their rellies for about 16 weeks over a 7 year period...they soon stop missing them, and think of the great reunion! She who dares? I say do it mate.