To Move or Not

Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Move or Not

My contentious post for the day (this is light hearted and possibly reflects NZ, outside Auckland, not ‘approval’ of a lifestyle). If you score less than 7 perhaps Australia would be better  Anyone offended whinge to Bevs.

Score
a. My partner is a kiwi with NZ family and wants to move +1
b. I am single with few ties 0
c. Our relationship is on the rocks and we want a fresh start -1
a. We have young children who need good schools/lifestyle +1
b. No kids 0
c. Our children are teenagers in the midst of the exam cycle -1
a. Income/materiel possessions are really important to me -1
b. I want a similar lifestyle to UK 0
c. Chill bro, we work to live and the fishing is good +1
a. I am a vegan and animals have equal rights. -1
b. I support a conservation charity 0
c. There is a rabbit/possum/wild pig in the garden – get the rifle +1
a. NZ is a foreign country that uses English +1
b. I can cope without Marmite/Bendicks/Yorkshire tea 0
c. I intend to migrate and whinge about houses/prices/facilities -1
a. My extended family are important to me/parents aged -1
b. Skype and e-mails will do the job. 0
c. Roll on freedom from ties/they tell me Cathay Pacific is good. +1
a. I can use a hammer, wire a plug, change a car wheel +1
b. My partner can do the above 0
c. Fetch a ‘tradesman’ -1
a. BBQs, beer with friends, rugby all ring my bell +1
b. I expect to take a while to make friends 0
c. I need a daily European culture/politics fix to rock my boat -1
a. I view myself as fully PC, LGBT rights needs support -1
b. Live and let live 0
c. Colour prejudice, to hell with that, do they drink beer +1
a. Happy that everyone I meet treats me as an equal and chats +1
b. I would cross the road to avoid a Mongrel Mob biker 0
c. Usually too busy to chat and can’t they see my BMW -1
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Move or Not

I score 0 . None of the answers in Q 1 apply to me though, so not sure if my total is correct.

Clearly I shouldn't be in NZ so I'm off to pack my bags. Bye
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I score 0 . None of the answers in Q 1 apply to me though, so not sure if my total is correct.

Clearly I shouldn't be in NZ so I'm off to pack my bags. Bye
So they will never pay me to do migration quizs, but too idle to rewrite Qn 1 for the pedants :-)
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:06 am
Just Joined

gingerninga is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very funny. Made me giggle.

I scored 4 or maybe 5 but some of the questions didn't quite have a straight forward answer for me.

Not quite sure how to interpret 9c?!

Also number 8 I would answer yes to all of them. I like a BBQ, drink and a chill, I like a culture/politics fix (not necessarily European). And certainly the Kiwi's I know personally, also like culture/politics. All the Kiwi's i've met have something to say about Kiwi politics!

Also no 4. I've seen animal cruelty in NZ, and found in pretty shocking. A farm dog kept in the most appalling conditions, locked in a tiny cage, covered in faeces, beaten and which had clearly had massive psychological issues. But also i learned my lesson in Canada that racoons are NOT CUTE. Pests are pests. So couldn't really answer that one.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gingerninga
This is very funny. Made me giggle.

I scored 4 or maybe 5 but some of the questions didn't quite have a straight forward answer for me.

Not quite sure how to interpret 9c?!

Also number 8 I would answer yes to all of them. I like a BBQ, drink and a chill, I like a culture/politics fix (not necessarily European). And certainly the Kiwi's I know personally, also like culture/politics. All the Kiwi's i've met have something to say about Kiwi politics!

Also no 4. I've seen animal cruelty in NZ, and found in pretty shocking. A farm dog kept in the most appalling conditions, locked in a tiny cage, covered in faeces, beaten and which had clearly had massive psychological issues. But also i learned my lesson in Canada that racoons are NOT CUTE. Pests are pests. So couldn't really answer that one.
Obviously I would never make a living at writing quizzes and I knocked out this one in a hurry :-) Agree ref dogs, some nz farm dogs are badly treated, but guess that applies everywhere. Ask the average Kiwi whether Merkel will survive and it will kill the conversation. I think my key point is NZ is a foreign country not an extension of UK.

Peter
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:08 am
Just Joined

gingerninga is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I think it's a great quiz. Very witty!

Merkel doesn't exactly inspire impassioned debate at the best of times. ;-)

But I think you're bang on with your point. I'm an epic forum lurker and I read over and over how disappointed many Brits are to find that NZ is not an extension of the UK.

Having spent a few months in NZ, I am under no such illusions. A lot of Kiwi's actively dislike the British and there are pockets of very anti-Brit sentiment here and there, i've been told. My experiences in NZ were very different to other English speaking countries like Canada and the US who were tripping over themselves to welcoming and friendly. The vibe I got from Kiwis during my visit was that my accent was a bit of a problem in some places and that i'd need to earn my stripes. There would be no red carpets. Which is fine, why should there be? It's just important for us Brits to have realistic expectations, which is why this is a good quiz!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerninga
SNIP

Having spent a few months in NZ, I am under no such illusions. A lot of Kiwi's actively dislike the British and there are pockets of very anti-Brit sentiment here and there, i've been told. My experiences in NZ were very different to other English speaking countries like Canada and the US who were tripping over themselves to welcoming and friendly. The vibe I got from Kiwis during my visit was that my accent was a bit of a problem in some places and that i'd need to earn my stripes.
SNIP
We have found Kiwis in general to be very welcoming, polite, and respectful.
Much the same as in the US - haven't managed to get to Canada yet.
The yoof are a lot more polite than is general in the UK.

It is possible, of course, that some didn't pick us out as Brits.
The NZ accent in some areas is quite mild (certainly compared to Oz) so we aren't automatically detected.
Then again, after my tan topped up a bit strangers tended to say "Yo, Bro" or "Hi, Cuz" as they passed

One of my favourite memories when on a 3 week visit in 1987, looking to migrate, was a group of Kiwi ladies saying to me "You're British? But you don't have an accent!". I felt obliged to tell them that they did, however

I would have thought that in general there was more prejudice against Jafas than Brits.

I may update the poll (with much respect) so that I can answer more of the questions - my score is lower than I would like but then I can't answer a few of the questions.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
My contentious post for the day (this is light hearted and possibly reflects NZ, outside Auckland, not ‘approval’ of a lifestyle). If you score less than 7 perhaps Australia would be better  Anyone offended whinge to Bevs.

Score
a. My partner is a kiwi with NZ family and wants to move +1
b. I am single with few ties 0
c. Our relationship is on the rocks and we want a fresh start -1
d. No major family ties in the UK and kid(s) out here. +1
a. We have young children who need good schools/lifestyle +1
b. No kids 0
c. Our children are teenagers in the midst of the exam cycle -1
d. It took years to persuade them to leave home. Why are we considering moving near them? +0.5
a. Income/materiel possessions are really important to me -1
b. I want a similar lifestyle to UK 0
c. Chill bro, we work to live and the fishing is good +1
d. Work, what is this work thing of which you speak? Mmmm...sunshine, veranda, snapper... +0.5
a. I am a vegan and animals have equal rights. -1
b. I support a conservation charity 0
c. There is a rabbit/possum/wild pig in the garden – get the rifle +1
a. NZ is a foreign country that uses English +1
b. I can cope without Marmite/Bendicks/Yorkshire tea 0
c. I intend to migrate and whinge about houses/prices/facilities -1
a. My extended family are important to me/parents aged -1
b. Skype and e-mails will do the job. 0
c. Roll on freedom from ties/they tell me Cathay Pacific is good. +1
d. We are the aged parents/Cathay pacific {shudder} never again +0.5
a. I can use a hammer, wire a plug, change a car wheel +1
b. My partner can do the above 0
c. Fetch a ‘tradesman’ -1
a. BBQs, beer with friends, rugby all ring my bell +1
b. I expect to take a while to make friends 0
c. I need a daily European culture/politics fix to rock my boat -1
d. BBQ, beer and wine with friends, fishing all ring my bell +1
a. I view myself as fully PC, LGBT rights needs support -1
b. Live and let live 0
c. Colour prejudice, to hell with that, do they drink beer +1
d. Combined (a) and (c) +0.5?
a. Happy that everyone I meet treats me as an equal and chats +1
b. I would cross the road to avoid a Mongrel Mob biker 0
c. Usually too busy to chat and can’t they see my BMW -1
d. I would cross the road to meet a Mongrel Mob biker {do NOT select this; they won't let you in the country} -100
I'll just check my points score.....good, managed to cheat my way up to 7

Oh, and on 3(a) my daughter moved from the UK to Auckland with her partner and they are both earning a lot more and living a much better life style and absolutely loving it. Then again they both work in IT, which seems to pay enough to live well in Auckland, which is saying something. Also not that big on material possessions (they bought two dining chairs for our visit as they didn't have any spares). Ran her through the quiz and she came out with a negative score (-2).

Last edited by LittleGreyCat; Jan 16th 2016 at 11:28 am.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Three...oh dear, do I really have to leave? I don't want to go to Aussie.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
Three...oh dear, do I really have to leave? I don't want to go to Aussie.
Aussie,Aussie,Aussie!
Why, why why?
Old Jan 17th 2016, 2:30 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Yipee I got in! I'll go unpack my bags and let the Mr know we're not moving to Ozzy after all