move to Auckland

Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:37 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice
Default Re: move to Auckland

Good luck with your move to Auckland.

I agree with the need to drive in Auckland mentioned earlier - otherwise you will be very dependent on the public transport which only really works for journeys to work to a few places, notably the city centre (CBD).

Try the following website which has some pointers to each of the suburb areas in Auckland:

www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz

They also have a link to a map-based guide book for new migrants to Auckland which shows the good/bad areas, better schools, transport, shopping areas, parks, kids entertainment etc.

It's all based on maps so quite easy to get to grips with.

Have a look & good luck
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Riverside
Right. So having established that south auckland is not on the list of places to be (sorry if offend anyone by the generalisation),....where exactly is south auckland!!!?
It never actually comes up whenever I look on property websites!!
Otara, Manurewa, Mangere, possibly Papatoetoe and Otahuhu. Anyone else like to add to the list?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Otara, Manurewa, Mangere, possibly Papatoetoe and Otahuhu. Anyone else like to add to the list?

Manukau
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:35 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Manukau
Noooooo - Manukau is a City - same as Auckland, Waitakere, North Shore. There are lovely areas there the same as the not so lovely ones.

Sorry - I should have added

Botany, Beachlands, Bucklands Beach, Cockle Bay - I can go alphabetically :-) there are loads of nice areas in Manakau.

Last edited by Batty; Sep 19th 2008 at 10:45 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:06 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
definitely do your research,again going to plug the book
"WHERE TO LIVE IN AUCKLAND" by barbican publishing,gives you the low down on good areas and bad areas,and also schools...we stay in east Auckland and its lovely here,but no offence to anyone on here,definitely avoid south Auckland..hope this helps...Jacky
Has anyone got a copy we could borrow?? There's only one copy available on amazon and it costs £55!!!!

Reading this thread with interest as we booked our ticket to Auckland yesterday... we're flying out in 3 weeks!! yippeeee!!!

Got nowhere to live yet, although we can be more flexible than most as we have no kids, and hubby will be working from home for the first 3 months as his current employer has decided to keep him on as a contractor (well sort of) and see how that goes. As his the main earner, I could just get a job wherever we end up (or try to at least).

He's been having a browse and likes the look of Whangaparaoa Peninsula, does anybody know the area?!?

Good luck with your search Riverside, sorry for hijacking your thread
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:00 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - this might be of use - not all suburbs are there but it's not bad as articles go. There is a list of other suburbs at the bottom of the page.

http://www.metrolive.co.nz/property/...Z/Default.aspx
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Water Lily
Has anyone got a copy we could borrow?? There's only one copy available on amazon and it costs £55!!!!

Reading this thread with interest as we booked our ticket to Auckland yesterday... we're flying out in 3 weeks!! yippeeee!!!

Got nowhere to live yet, although we can be more flexible than most as we have no kids, and hubby will be working from home for the first 3 months as his current employer has decided to keep him on as a contractor (well sort of) and see how that goes. As his the main earner, I could just get a job wherever we end up (or try to at least).

He's been having a browse and likes the look of Whangaparaoa Peninsula, does anybody know the area?!?

Good luck with your search Riverside, sorry for hijacking your thread
Will PM you when I have more time, should be working right now
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by St George Six
Dont live in South Auckland, or choose your area very carefully, lots of gang related crime/

Some areas south of the CBD so 'South Auckland' have gang problems but then so do many areas on the 'expat mecca' North Shore.

Personally I wouldn't live on the North Shore as its the 'expat mecca', far to overcrowed with houses and if you work in the CBD a nightmare to travel in from.

Some of the most exclusive areas of Auckland to live happen to technically be 'South Auckland'...
Old Sep 24th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

The idea of living in the CBD (as suggested previously in the thread) is absurd if you have children.

There are lots of areas all over Auckland that are family-friendly with good schools. There's some (im my opinion) to be avoided but beware of sayings like beware of south auckland as some areas are actually very nice.

I live on the North Shore and personally wouldn't want to move away from it. That's not to say it's the best place to live and certain areas are not that nice and it is built-up in parts. I wouldn't say it's overcrowded and as far as it being packed with ex-pats (though there is a large element of truth in that depending on xactly where you live) I personally don't know any English people who live on my street or the one's nearby so it's hardly Little Britain.

Best advice is to scout out areas before you commit to buying but I wouldn't rule out North, South, East or West at this stage. Remember people have different priorities and ideas on 'the best' places to live and you're far better to decide on this yourself.

It would help to work out what things are important to to you - wide open spaces, the beach, schools, proximity of amenities, make-up of the people who live there etc. If you can decide on things like that it will be a lot easier to decide on the best place for you.