British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   On the move again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/move-again-796921/)

welshrgeordie May 13th 2013 7:40 pm

On the move again

Well quick update from us , arrived in nz in December , had xmas up north with family and left beginning of January for christchurch . Tiki toured down thru nz to arrive in chch 10 th Jan . Hurray .........or so it seemed !;)
My 11 year old son has been a star, adapted and settled so well , he has been fab :D, shame my hubby didn't take a leaf out of his book :frown:
My hubby hates it here in chch , and it has been a tough few months with him here ! Any way he has been offered a job opportunity in queenstown and feels he will be happier living there :fingerscrossed: so here we go again , House on the market , packing up the furniture , moving our very settled son , hoping like mad this will work and hubby will finally settle :thumbsup:
Guess I will have to learn to snow board :lol:

BEVS May 13th 2013 9:41 pm

Re: On the move again

Crikey. :eek:
Better to move in the early months I suppose, then a couple of years down the line.

I'll be very interested to read how you find Queenstown to live in. It's a beautiful place to look at.

I'll move this into the main board for a while so more people will see it.

MrsFychan May 13th 2013 10:37 pm

As Bev's says lucky its earlier rather than later.
Hope this time its a move that you all can enjoy.
Best piece of advise we took on board was that it takes 2yrs to really know if a place is right for you. Luckily we have been fairly lucky with where we ended up, not sure if it's going to be long term as the wind really gets me down but it might be something I can get used to so will look at it again in 2yrs.

welshrgeordie May 14th 2013 12:02 am

Yeah that's what I'm hoping ,that if we move now my son hasn't had a chance to form firm friendships :fingerscrossed: bevs I I'll let you know , yes it is gorgeous to look at and lots of lovely walking tracks , which I do like :):)
However living long term we will see? But I will keep u posted ....hubby knows he has to make this move work or he is up a certain creek without a certain paddle :eek:

ellenarosemary May 14th 2013 12:59 am

Definitely feel the same, we have been here 6 months and Tokoroa is definitely not the place for us. It got us in (for which we are very grateful), but want to move to the Wellington region (as I have family there) and we feel it would make the transition a lot easier.

Hopefully can find alternative employment and move soon.

Good luck.

Snap Shot May 14th 2013 2:05 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10706782)
Definitely feel the same, we have been here 6 months and Tokoroa is definitely not the place for us. It got us in (for which we are very grateful), but want to move to the Wellington region (as I have family there) and we feel it would make the transition a lot easier.

Hopefully can find alternative employment and move soon.

Good luck.

Glad you made the transition to NZ. I had a feeling Tokoroa was just a starting point for you. Good luck with all your future plans.

Snap Shot May 14th 2013 2:08 am

Welshgeordie,

Good luck for your move to Queenstown. With the nz winter coming up it will be mobbed !

pilottinker May 14th 2013 2:44 am

Good Luck We had to do two rentals, one house purchase and one change of area before we felt this is what we emigrated for. Queenstown is beautiful and they are building another supermarket in Frankton so that will help. I hope your husband settles and enjoys his new job

Snap Shot May 14th 2013 2:54 am

Originally Posted by pilottinker (Post 10706861)
Good Luck We had to do two rentals, one house purchase and one change of area before we felt this is what we emigrated for. Queenstown is beautiful and they are building another supermarket in Frankton so that will help. I hope your husband settles and enjoys his new job

Yup, I can relate to that. Rental in Christchurch but things didn't work out for us. Then moved to Wanganui for my husband's job. Rented accommodation in Wanganui prior to buying our house here in, 'Wanga Vegas'.

chc4me May 14th 2013 2:59 am

As everyone here can attest to, making friends in a new location is not always easy. Perhaps your husband might consider joining Freemasons or Rotary which might help with the settling in process and forming a new circle of friends. I could provide contact details if needed.
Best wishes in Queenstown.

barnsleymat May 14th 2013 3:46 am

I'd love to move up into Central Otago, it's a magical place. Good luck in Qtown.

Fooferfish May 17th 2013 8:27 am

We love queenstown for a break as we are near Dunedin and I absolutely adore central otago especially in autumn , it's beautiful , hope things go well for you in qt ? There are resident groups and most business owners live near arrowtown or lake Hayes , keep a look out for locals meetings, as qt is a transient tourist town , the schools there are awesome , so the lad will be well catered for.

Good luck with your new venture .

Nige Dunedin since 08