British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   mouse in the house!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mouse-house-519769/)

stasia Mar 7th 2008 6:21 am

mouse in the house!!

been in our rental 1 week and just seen a mouse in the kitchen....did the typical girlie reaction and screamed my head off, its still in the house ahhhhhhh!
is this normal for new zealand houses, what if it has 50 babies and they have babies...... loz is now on his way to new world to get a mouse trap!!!

dreamfish Mar 7th 2008 6:28 am

Re: mouse in the house!!

Originally Posted by stasia (Post 6029380)
is this normal for new zealand houses, what if it has 50 babies and they have babies......!!!

then its gonna get very crowded!!!! :rofl:
bless him, he wanted to get warm thats all :D

crap coffee Mar 7th 2008 6:55 am

been in our rental 1 week and just seen a mouse in the kitchen....did the typical girlie reaction and screamed my head off, its still in the house ahhhhhhh!
is this normal for new zealand houses, what if it has 50 babies and they have babies...... loz is now on his way to new world to get a mouse trap!!!

Hahahaha! I've been sharing the space with bloody cute mice since last year November :eek:

When I saw them for the first time, I was absolutely shocked! Mice ate my Raspberry Licorice in the cutlery draw. :eek:... It's a damn MESS every where! holy sh*t :eek:

The funny thing is I've lived in Welly for 10 years and we had never seen any mice while I was living with my parents but... this is actually for the first time mice around my (own) place....... It's nasty and disgusting.

I bloody hate them! :curse:

only a sticky mouse trap works for me - but you can't get them in Welly, I would think :rofl:

also I bloody hate to get rid of the real sticky dead/alive mice from the sticky mouse trap with my hands each time! That's the worst (the most disgusting) job I've ever had in my life!

oh... I am gonna vomit now

Avid Mar 7th 2008 7:05 am

I'd relax, you almost certainly don't have any mice in your house.

Now...New Zealand rats are a different matter. They are much smaller than other rats and can easily be mistaken for mice. Was it quite dark with a long tail?

We had the same problem in our house and our landlady blamed.....(drumroll).....Pacific Islanders!!! My, how we laughed.

Anyway, we had the man come round and he put a few poison traps down and we have never been bothered since. I'd suggest you do the same.

zoej Mar 7th 2008 7:05 am

ah, the reason NZ is a cat loving nation - well high cat population anyway!

dreamfish Mar 7th 2008 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6029457)

Now...New Zealand rats are a different matter. They are much smaller than other rats and can easily be mistaken for mice. Was it quite dark with a long tail?

ur having a bubble arent you?

Avid Mar 7th 2008 7:41 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 6029482)
ur having a bubble arent you?

Maybe.....

what does 'having a bubble' mean?

dreamfish Mar 7th 2008 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6029548)
Maybe.....

what does 'having a bubble' mean?

bubble barf - larf

Avid Mar 7th 2008 7:46 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 6029552)
bubble barf - larf

ah....straight up, guv. It's not apples and lice, it's apples and hats.

Spudgun Mar 7th 2008 7:59 am

The best way to sort out your rodent problem is to do just what we did and buy an ugly scabby cat. Worked for us. Lovely.

stasia Mar 7th 2008 8:41 am

oh my god even worse its not a mouse its a rat.....don't they have even more babies!!!

[I'd relax, you almost certainly don't have any mice in your house.

We had the same problem in our house and our landlady blamed.....(drumroll).....Pacific Islanders!!! My, how we laughed.

Anyway, we had the man come round and he put a few poison traps down and we have never been bothered since. I'd suggest you do the same.[/QUOTE]

Genesis Mar 7th 2008 9:53 am

Buy a proper mouse trap like I did, bait it with cheese and kill them. I have had a larder full of mouse crap and wee. I relocated 2 of them to start with..they returned...then the killing fields started. I will not tolerate rodents in my house. I am the mouse terminator. The soft option failed. Lethal force prevails at no. 6. For mice anyway. And fies. And cockroaches..oh ants too. And mozzies plus sand flies. All others are welcome.

Kerry W Mar 7th 2008 10:07 am

And I thought the cheese trick with mice was an old wifes tale! Apparently they like sugary things, hence mice eating crap coffees strawberry liquorice. ;)

We had scratting in our attic and found mice droppings, we went for the less mess option and purchased poison - it makes them so dehydrated it eventually kills them (shop told us its more humane :sneaky:). Not sure what happened to them but we now have peaceful nights and had no lingering smells of festering bodies :thumbsup:

spid Mar 7th 2008 11:29 am

Mice like chocolate!

crap coffee Mar 7th 2008 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 6029457)

They are much smaller than other rats and can easily be mistaken for mice. Was it quite dark with a long tail?

Anyway, we had the man come round and he put a few poison traps down and we have never been bothered since. I'd suggest you do the same.

Be aware, you can't use a poison trap if you drink rain water like my parents. Because (poisoned) rats go up to the roof and poison the drinking water :eek:

In Auckland I can see (from our kitchen window) a large rat every single day around backyard garden. It's big & disgusting and there's no way we can get rid of them because they are smart, indeed. and the garage - it seems like a little paradise for them :eek::rofl:

My brother slept next to a mouse in bed :eek: last year plus rats actually bred in our boiler room (next to the lounge) - mum found loads of dead new born baby mice there :eek::eek:

my place in Welly - mice poo everywhere at the mo - on my woolen skirt, bed sheets, inside of the tissue box and all over the place! :curse:

btw how to find/get rid of poisoned dead mice -? because you don't even know where they are (in your house)? that's the problem I think