Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

mouse in the house!!

mouse in the house!!

Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

b17rbs will become famous soon enough
Cool mouse in the house!!

OMG! I actually let my hubby talk me into finding a new home for the best mouse/rat catching cat in the world! Thought it would be mean for him to be crated up and travel to the other side of the world to be with us.

Guess who is going for all his check up's at the vets today (No not the hubby... the cat). No way am l leaving him in the UK now!

I truly hate mice/rats have had them this last winter in the stables where l kept my three horses......... the little blighters eat everything!!! My Jack Russell terrier (World's second best ratter) saw them all off! Did not scream when l found them just showed the dog where to find them... yeah l know a bit mean

We were told that NZ folk actually hate cats because they desimate the flightless bird population? Do the NZ people actually like cats? Please let me know, do not want to take him and then find that the neighbourhood is chashing him off every time he steps through his own door
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice
Default Re: mouse in the house!!

I found the best mouse trap was one called 'The Better mousetrap' - I bought ours from New World. It's a sort of grey plastic jobby and it is soooooo easy to get the deceased rodent out without having to prise any metal trap out of it's mushed body!! The ladies there told me that peanut butter is the best bait - seems to work. Grand tally last year was seven, the total stands at 1 mickey so far this winter!!
OH was the one to spot our uninvited guest and he had to get me out of bed to set the traps coz he didn't want to go near the cupboard he'd seen it near - brave, my hubby........NOT!!!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:25 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Our cats bring live mice into the house!! And sometimes let them go. They usually catch them again and bite off their heads.

Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Nooooo! He looks so cute.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:39 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stasia
been in our rental 1 week and just seen a mouse in the kitchen....did the typical girlie reaction and screamed my head off, its still in the house ahhhhhhh!
is this normal for new zealand houses, what if it has 50 babies and they have babies...... loz is now on his way to new world to get a mouse trap!!!
Yes, perfectly normal in NZ houses - every one of ours had them. They got in through the weep holes at the bottom of the brickwork and around the joinery in the garage door. Any gap that's big enough to get a pencil into is big enough for a mouse.

Seal up the gaps (wire mesh may do the trick) and get some bait and traps, put some in the loft too. We found apple, peanut butter, currants etc. worked well in the traps. I think cats work well too.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:42 pm

er....not in the traps.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
er....not in the traps.

Got another last night..with cheese again, cheddar, the Homebrand variety I think.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

I never knew what happened to our with the mice poison but never found any dead bodies or weird smells. I think they must have gone out looking for water. Thanks for the advice crap coffee, was not aware of the drinking water situation.

When we moved into our property it was empty and loads of poo everywhere, been here a year and only found some in the attic since. Think we got to them before they got to us. They are very cute though are'nt they
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yuck! The worst bit about mice is that they are totally incontinent and piss almost wherever they tread :curse:

Get a cat, failing that get two cats. Anything else is just a bother but a couple of cats will sort your problem and you can get them as adults ready to much from the SPCA so no kitten shit to deal with or waiting weeks for the blighters to be bigger than the mice and you get the SPCA feel-good factor win-win.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:23 am

'Cept you can't really keep your cats in the attic.

Blimey Genesis you must be feeling a bit flush......cheese huh?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Our cats bring live mice into the house!! And sometimes let them go. They usually catch them again and bite off their heads.

http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/clubley...e/DSC04093.JPG
Head? What happened to its tail?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

stasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to allstasia is a name known to all

yay!!! we have one dead mouse this morning!! although told the kids it was sleeping with is head in the box!!!
bought one of the mouse traps in new world the grey one with peanutbutter on it......the only thing is it looks a lot smaller than the one i saw!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:22 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Jack Russell Terriers are the greatest mouse catchers. They kick mouse butt. Or at least our little fat jack russell does. The cat doesn't really care about them inside (though he does play with them if he finds them outside).

But the dog? Supermouse Catcher.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:15 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

We have two very curious kittens, complete with sharp, pointy teeth and claws that pierce me through my jeans.

I would lend them to you but they might just want to sleep on your bed all day.

although told the kids it was sleeping with is head in the box!!!
(sorry)
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:05 pm
Im here to help :)

Location: Flying to the Gold Coast 3rd July to live the dream - woo hoo!!!!!!!!
jutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to alljutang is a name known to all

yay!!! we have one dead mouse this morning!! although told the kids it was sleeping with is head in the box!!!
bought one of the mouse traps in new world the grey one with peanutbutter on it......the only thing is it looks a lot smaller than the one i saw!!!!!
Hey Chicke,

mice in your kitchen!! Get a cat i like what you told the kids - it was sleeping. Glad to hear you are still well and enjoying minus the odd mouse. Be in oz in exactly 4 months!! xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.