British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mount Maunganui & Tauranga watch out! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mount-maunganui-tauranga-watch-out-737801/)

moomooandy Nov 3rd 2011 8:17 pm

Mount Maunganui & Taurange watch out!

Fingers crossed - interview Tuesday!! Stuck in the UK but we're definitely getting there. Anyone got hints and tips on moving me, 1 husband, 2 daughters (5y & 8y) and a dog to the Mount/Tauranga area. Schools etc etc. And inside info greatly received :)

moomooandy Nov 3rd 2011 8:17 pm

Mount Maunganui & Tauranga watch out!

Fingers crossed - interview Tuesday!! Stuck in the UK but we're definitely getting there. Anyone got hints and tips on moving me, 1 husband, 2 daughters (5y & 8y) and a dog to the Mount/Tauranga area. Schools etc etc. And inside info greatly received :)

SparkyGaz Nov 4th 2011 11:44 am

Re: Mount Maunganui & Tauranga watch out!

Welcome to expats...sounds like you will soon be one for real !!!
We live in welcome bay and my son goes to Tauranga Intermediate school.
We have looked at all areas to buy a house and have decided to stay in welcome bay.
Th intermediate school and the boys college have really good reputations and our son has settled in well. This is a big part of the reason we havent looked to buy in another area. It also helps that we love welcome bay :)
Dare I start a debate by saying that property is really expensive at the mount and Mount college doesn't have a great rep (to be polite).
Papamoa is lovely and there is a new college opened up there.
Just didn't feel right for us but down to personal choice.
There are plenty of meet ups for new locals and barbecues down the beach to get to know each other. There (and on here) you will find lots of different people (including us) who have very different backgrounds and experiences.
All the new people we have met are scattered around so you get to nosey at lots of different areas and properties.
We found that it helps to research the schools to give you an idea to where you might want to rent when you first arrive.
Hope this helps :thumbup:

PaulGent Nov 7th 2011 9:31 am

Re: Mount Maunganui & Taurange watch out!

Hi there. We have been in Tauranga for 6 years and we are loving it. Our children are all grown up and back in UK so I can't help much with the schools. Probably best for you to find a rental house here for 6 months and then decide where you want to live.
Let me know if I can help with anything. I am sure you will love it here.

moomooandy Nov 7th 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by PaulGent (Post 9718513)
Hi there. We have been in Tauranga for 6 years and we are loving it. Our children are all grown up and back in UK so I can't help much with the schools. Probably best for you to find a rental house here for 6 months and then decide where you want to live.
Let me know if I can help with anything. I am sure you will love it here.

Thanks Paul. Will probably take you up on the help part! Finding somewhere that will take a small dog within driving distance to the Mount seems a little difficult! I'm surprised by that. What's Tauranga like then? We're not city or town folk and ultimate aim is to run a small holding. The Mount looks very expensive so we've been looking in the Welcome Bay area. Thanks again.

PaulGent Nov 7th 2011 11:01 pm

Welcome Bay to the Mount doesn't take long. I travel all the way out to Whakatane for work every day (80kms+ each way) and that only takes me just over an hour. Welcome Bay to the Mount is about 10 mins normally and about 15 mins in traffic.
We live in Bethlehem and my wife works at the hospital. She gets to work in about 7 mins every day. We have a rental house in Pyes Pa and it is for sale at the moment. It's 4 yrs old and the details are in the classified section.
Let me know if there's anything you need help with on the job front. I hoep it goes well

Paul

Am Loolah Nov 8th 2011 8:09 am

Welcome to BE.

I moved with 4 kids and 2 dogs 4.5 years ago. It can seem very daunting, but it has a way of working itself out.:thumbup:

The Mount is quite expensive, it all depends on what you want as there are many different suburbs of Tauranga that have different things to offer.

There's some info and links on the BE Wiki (click on the highlighted words.:thumbup:

moomooandy Nov 8th 2011 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9720276)
Welcome to BE.

I moved with 4 kids and 2 dogs 4.5 years ago. It can seem very daunting, but it has a way of working itself out.:thumbup:

The Mount is quite expensive, it all depends on what you want as there are many different suburbs of Tauranga that have different things to offer.

There's some info and links on the BE Wiki (click on the highlighted words.:thumbup:

Thanks, that link is really helpful- doubt we can afford to live in the Mount. Guess we need somewhere unfurnished until the furniture arrives and then to find somewhere that'll let us have our dog who'll arrive after the furniture. Seems difficult to find somewhere to rent with a dog which surprised us. Hopefully prospective employers will be helpful. Doubt we can little dog out before the rules change and she has to have rabies vaccine and blood test but no the end of the world. Any hints gratefully received :)

SparkyGaz Nov 10th 2011 5:10 am

Originally Posted by moomooandy (Post 9718530)
Thanks Paul. Will probably take you up on the help part! Finding somewhere that will take a small dog within driving distance to the Mount seems a little difficult! I'm surprised by that. What's Tauranga like then? We're not city or town folk and ultimate aim is to run a small holding. The Mount looks very expensive so we've been looking in the Welcome Bay area. Thanks again.

As I said we live in welcome bay...more than happy to help if you need any info..
http://www.tauranga.govt.nz/
this has some good info for starters.....

Gary :thumbsup:

moomooandy Nov 10th 2011 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9720276)
Welcome to BE.

I'd thought about trying to get my eldest daughter Molly (8yrs) in contact with another child in NZ so she can maybe email then feel like she might already have a friend before we land. Do you know of anyone that might be interested?? Thanks

johnht Nov 10th 2011 8:53 pm

We've just been looking for a house - and now, we hope, have found one on the edge of Welcome Bay.
One agent told me that prices for the size of place we were looking for (3+ bedrooms with an extra room for study/spare room) were $50,000 dearer in Matua/Otumoetai than WB and in Bethlehem another $50,000 on top of that.
One reason that we ended up choosing WB was (apart from price!) that it was possible to find a larger section where the city meets the country than was available in a more fully developed area like Otumoetai where the only way of building extra houses is to divide up existing sections.
A lot of people rate Bethlehem College highly, but it is expensive and currently fully subscribed. The other schools in Tauranga have a good reputation from what we've been told - Otumoetai is both boys and girls, the other side of town the schools are seperate Boys' and Girls' colleges. So far (3 days) our 13 year old seems to be getting on fine at the Boys' college.

John.

helinuk Nov 12th 2011 1:06 am

We had a problem finding a rented house because we brought our dog too, so we ended up buying straight away.
Try looking at Omokoroa, there are usually several places for rent . 'First National' estate agents are the main rental co.

I am a teacher aide at Bethlehem college and as far as I can see there are spaces in some year groups, Year 3 has been reduced from 3 to 2 classes for next year. There were also low numbers in year 0- reception this year, instead of 4 intakes, one each term, there were only 2 intakes . It is worth having a look around and putting your names on a wiating list if you can't get in straight away.

just my opinion. :)