Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:10 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7
snakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the rough
Default Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Hey there,

I have been in Auckland for a year, have had a great time, although I have found it quite hard to make new friends. We are now on the move again to Mount Maunganui. We have a little girl who is nearly two and I was wondering what sorts of activities are in the area and groups etc?

Many thanks!
snakajack is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:14 am
  #2  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7
snakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Auckland to Mount Maunganui..........

I have been in undated with advice as you can see! so thanks everyone!! I guess I'll just go to the local library!!!................
snakajack is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:39 am
  #3  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auckland to Mount Maunganui..........

Originally Posted by snakajack View Post
I have been in undated with advice as you can see! so thanks everyone!! I guess I'll just go to the local library!!!................
Only just seen this so sorry snakajack. There are a few of us around the vicinity. I've just got my daughter back from hospital, will try and answer your question a little later when the kids are all settled.
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 6:59 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Papamoa Beach
Posts: 27
yorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura aboutyorkshire girl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Hi Snakajack
We live in Papamoa but seem to spend more time in the mount than in Pap!The Mount is FABLoads to do,If you like taking a walk with friends and meeting for coffee!There are walking groups that offer a childcare service while you walk (or run depending on how keen you are)The mount Kindy by the library is I am told very good and the library itself has toddler time.Some cafes are more child friendly than others but you tend to find your favorites when you mix with the locals.Lots of free sporting events to watch on the weekends(Surf league,beach volley ball,Surfing etc)Theres a Mums surfing group, I think Am loolah might be the girl to talk to for that (apologies if I am wrong)
Any thing else you need to know just ask
Yg
yorkshire girl is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:05 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 11
rugbydragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Hi there,

We are in Tauranga but my wife is also involved in the Mount toy library which is great.

There are loads of 'City on its feet' walking groups to join - both with or without little ones, and there are loads of social sports leagues at the Mount Action Centre as well.

You'll soon meet people by walking up the Mount on a Sunday and then chilling out with a coffee and brekkie by the beach!!

Enjoy!!
rugbydragon is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:52 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7
snakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Thanks guys,

Good to hear from you. Am really looking forward to being near the beach! the walking groups sound great too, Am definitely up for that! the promise of a great coffee at the end is always a winner!
How do you join a toy library?
snakajack is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:34 am
  #7  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Originally Posted by snakajack View Post
Thanks guys,

Good to hear from you. Am really looking forward to being near the beach! the walking groups sound great too, Am definitely up for that! the promise of a great coffee at the end is always a winner!
How do you join a toy library?
Right, all kids in bed at last!

As YorkshireGirl says there is loads to offer down the Mount. The toy library is off Hewletts Road and I should know how it works, as had a friend who volunteered there, but can't remember - I will ask tomorrow though. Something along the lines of a yearly contribution, unlimited access to taking out toys, puzzles etc and the offer of volunteering to man it for a couple of hours a month I think.

Surfemmes is a mums surfing group that meet twice a week to surf (suprisingly), help each other with the btter surfers giving tips, advice etc, and taking it in turns to watch each others kids if you take the kids along. Combined with the occassional dinner out, girly nights in etc. So all round good start to socialising.

Fantastic kindy called Gwen Rogers (Rodgers?) next to New World on Maunganui Road by all accounts, many recommend it.

Cafes, bars, restaurants galore!!

Hot pools, cinema, beach, boats, shops and loads of us all happy to discuss the finer points of world econimics over several bottles of wine!!

YorkshireGirl, you need to make contact with some of us so we can lead you astray too!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:05 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 7
snakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the roughsnakajack is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Thankyou! sounds great. Have always wanted to surf, my sister in-law who lives in Sydney has just started and absolutely loves it. She's always telling me to do it! I've seen her bruises though!!! the girly nights out sound good too. Am always up for a glass of vino, in fact that is what I do at 7pm most evenings as my reward for spending the day with my delightful gorgeous very busy little girl!!!

we move down in a few weeks so will join the toy library, cheers for the advice .......
snakajack is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:18 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Tauranga, New Zealand
Posts: 156
Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice
Default Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Right, all kids in bed at last!

As YorkshireGirl says there is loads to offer down the Mount. The toy library is off Hewletts Road and I should know how it works, as had a friend who volunteered there, but can't remember - I will ask tomorrow though. Something along the lines of a yearly contribution, unlimited access to taking out toys, puzzles etc and the offer of volunteering to man it for a couple of hours a month I think.

Surfemmes is a mums surfing group that meet twice a week to surf (suprisingly), help each other with the btter surfers giving tips, advice etc, and taking it in turns to watch each others kids if you take the kids along. Combined with the occassional dinner out, girly nights in etc. So all round good start to socialising.

Fantastic kindy called Gwen Rogers (Rodgers?) next to New World on Maunganui Road by all accounts, many recommend it.

Cafes, bars, restaurants galore!!

Hot pools, cinema, beach, boats, shops and loads of us all happy to discuss the finer points of world econimics over several bottles of wine!!

YorkshireGirl, you need to make contact with some of us so we can lead you astray too!
I think you`ve hit the nail on the head not much else to add to that.

See you soon

Ju ( Good night Sunday, family really enjoyed it, must meet again for a drink soon )
Steve and Julie is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:33 am
  #10  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie View Post
I think you`ve hit the nail on the head not much else to add to that.

See you soon

Ju ( Good night Sunday, family really enjoyed it, must meet again for a drink soon )
It was good fun wasn't it - I shouldn't really have started at 4pm though, might have paced myself better!

Sorry the kindy isn't by New World - it's at 1 Macville Road.

Give us a shout when you get down here!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2008, 10:18 am
  #11  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mount Maunganui info please - (moved to main forum)

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
It was good fun wasn't it - I shouldn't really have started at 4pm though, might have paced myself better!

Sorry the kindy isn't by New World - it's at 1 Macville Road.

Give us a shout when you get down here!
Bump ...
Am Loolah is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.