Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Motorway Patrol... NZ TV Programme

Motorway Patrol... NZ TV Programme

Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default Motorway Patrol... NZ TV Programme

I had to laugh when I saw this programme tonight on Men and Motors... virtually all the cops on this NZ programme are British who I imagine have made the transfer to the NZ Police Force? Made me chuckle in the fact that I thought I was going to hear some nice Kiwi accents and what do I hear - English accents LOL

Interesting programme though as it shows that the drivers in NZ are about as bad as they are in the UK - what is it with summer that brings out the maniacs on the road! Mind you no one beats the Cypriots - having spent 2 years out in Cyprus I came back the UK and had to get back into driving decently mode as the only way to survive on the roads is to drive like them - now there's an experience if ever I've had one LOL
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorway Patrol... NZ TV Programme

I've watched a few of them, i makes me laugh when i see how little
traffic is on the roads when the kiwi's call it "busy".
dread to think what they'd make of rush hour in manchester
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:52 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracy24
I had to laugh when I saw this programme tonight on Men and Motors... virtually all the cops on this NZ programme are British who I imagine have made the transfer to the NZ Police Force? Made me chuckle in the fact that I thought I was going to hear some nice Kiwi accents and what do I hear - English accents LOL

Interesting programme though as it shows that the drivers in NZ are about as bad as they are in the UK - what is it with summer that brings out the maniacs on the road! Mind you no one beats the Cypriots - having spent 2 years out in Cyprus I came back the UK and had to get back into driving decently mode as the only way to survive on the roads is to drive like them - now there's an experience if ever I've had one LOL
haha Cool

Just turned it over now... gonna watch the last 10 mins of it. I notice the british police officer haha

C xx
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by colandros
I've watched a few of them, i makes me laugh when i see how little
traffic is on the roads when the kiwi's call it "busy".
dread to think what they'd make of rush hour in manchester
yeah the traffic looks a doddle over there in rush hour compared to here.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Oh god. If you are moving to the Auckland area you are in for a terrible shock! I lived for years in London, and I think Auckland traffic is awful.....rush hour is bad (rest of NZ I agree...it is nothing...a complete doddle). And the driving is some of the worst I have experienced in the world. Very dangerous, inconsiderate, and very high road death rate here (heard some stats that it is some of the highest in the developed world)....honestly, my road rage is worse here than in London.
But I am sounding like a stuck record now, as I am always ranting on here about the bad driving.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:03 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

You must check out the thread in the main forum from April'/ May time with regards to Kiwi drivers you will find it quite enlightening.

I won't say any more on the subject as it will just get my gander up.

Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:42 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Hey watched this last night and tonight, and tbh i doesnt seem as bad as the UK!!! Yeah ok there are some arrogant drivers, but the police have a more common sense approach to dealing with these people. Unlike here!!

Gonna keep watching it for a feel of the driving standards there.

C xx
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

They are really not going to show you how really bad the roads are here in NZ!! I watch them sometimes as they show them here in NZ, as I find them amusing. But seriously, you will be shocked if you are moving to Auckland.
As for common sense, in some aspects the police can be good here on the roads (will help you change a tyre which I found on personal experience in the UK they wont!), but other things they do are really ridiculous in my opinion!
Really, dont take that show as the standard for Kiwi driving.....it is like watching Boozed Britain or Corrie and thinking that is what the UK will be like!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry Yummy_Mummy, I see you are moving to Chch....you will have an easier time there than Glasgow. But there are still lunatics there so watch out!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:13 am
Chocoholic

Thx for the advice NZBee

I am under no illusion that there are idiots on the roads there too. In Glasgow i come across at least 2 crazy drivers a day when travelling to work!!!

So i guess if Christchurch is a bit better then that will be ok.

C xx