Motorhome hire

Old Jan 9th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Motorhome hire

We are planning a trip back to see the family later in the year, perhaps around Christmas but not sure yet, anyway, we wanted to hire a motorhome, a fairly large one for me, OH and our daughter (she will be 3). Think we will do this in the South Island, we have lots of friends to visit and also would like to do a Queenstown trip again. Has anyone ever done this? Is it hard with a toddler? Also can anyone recommend any companies?

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Motorhome hire

Hi there i cant recomend any companies to you as i have never used them myself but my son his partner and their 2yr old travelled for around 10 days in a campervan up the North island and the little one just loved it.

(They hired theirs privately and from memory the only problem they had was fitting the car seat in the front (so would pay to check that out)
They all loved it so much they came home talking of buying their own lol...They were pleased that they had a large 6 berth though as it gave them loads of extra room. Because the wee fella was sitting up the front he could see everything and that kept him occupied.

If you do google search on campervans you will come up with all the NZ companies. Maui is one that springs to mind (a bit like Avis car hire in terms of recognized brand names) camping grounds in NZ are also very good and usually have all the amenities.
Have a fantastic holiday.
Cheers
Cally
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:07 pm
thewhitewitch

Smile Re: Motorhome hire

Choose carefully and don't forget a child seat.
Maui offer them as an extra hire.
http://www.maui.co.nz/car-hire-new-z...tra-hire-items
Baby and booster Seat details
Child/booster seat – Note that not all Maui vehicles can accommodate child restraint equipment.
Childseats depending on the child’s age are commonly used for children 3 years or less.
Booster seats again depending on the child’s size are commonly used for children between 3 and 8 years of age.
Legally all children under (up to) 5 years of age must be restrained in either a car seat whether a child seat or booster.

Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:51 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorhome hire

I've passed Maui, Britz and United Campervans on the road today. There is possibly a link to most of them in The Really Useful thread at the top of the home page for New Zealand

HTH
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:06 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, I have just this minute got back from visiting a camper van firm with a base in ChCh. Name is Wilderness Motorhomes.

They're a relatively small firm but are 100% focused on customer service. I imagine a google search will find them.

You won't have any troubles in camper vanning around the South Island. The whole place is geared to it, with van sites of varying price and amenities in most towns and cities here. 'Top Ten' (again, a quick google will find them) are of a consistently high standard, and we used them loads when we did it. While doing so we saw loads of folks with kids young and old, and they seemed to have no probs - so long as you check about where the child would be sitting (some 4 berth vans only have belts for extra passengers right at the very back, so not within arms reach) and if a booster/ child seat is available.

You'll have a great time - go for it!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
We are planning a trip back to see the family later in the year, perhaps around Christmas but not sure yet, anyway, we wanted to hire a motorhome, a fairly large one for me, OH and our daughter (she will be 3). Think we will do this in the South Island, we have lots of friends to visit and also would like to do a Queenstown trip again. Has anyone ever done this? Is it hard with a toddler? Also can anyone recommend any companies?

Thanks
Hi I have a friend who has a 6 birther he rents out, let me know when you want it and I will get you a price and availability. He will deliver it to your doorstep and pick it up where ever you decide to finish. Its a late model.

PM me if you like.

Kind regards, Dom.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:20 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lexylou

Thanks
When we came to NZ on our reccie we used United Campervans and they were fab! Even e-mailed us when we got back to the UK about a few random bits they'd found in said van and posted them to us at no extra charge.

http://www.campervan.co.nz/Home/MenuId/4.aspx

HTH
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

pcompton is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just come back from a 3 week holiday touring in a Toyota MPV, and staying in motels (all in the North Island this time). Talking to various local people they made the following comments:

Motorhomes are expensive in the high season, and could end up as expensive as staying in fixed accomodation.

You need to book well in advance because they are popular.

Many people pick up in Auckland and drop off in Christchurch, so if you do the reverse you are likely to get better deals or better availability.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone that is very helpful, I often wonder if i like the 'idea' of it more than the actual doing it! I am much more of a 'hotel' kind of girl but would be interesting to see how we cope as a family doing this kind of travel!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends (2A, 9yr old and 18mnth old) did a SI tour in a 6-berth from Apollo in December and while they had a great time, had the following thoughts:
- the van from Apollo was old and a bit shabby
- It was expensive (over $300 per day including all insurance etc)
- the view for those in the back was not good due to limited windows
- It was quite slow and therefore hard work to drive over hilly roads etc
- If you're going to stay in "mainstream" camp sites, most of these have cabins you could stay in. You need to book in advance at that time of year anyway (for pitch or cabin)
- having a campervan does save you the hassle of packing and unpacking evry time you move

In retrospect I think they decided that next time they would hire a comfortable car and stay in cabins/motels etc. I think a camper would be good if you wanted to stay in out of the way places such as some of the more basic DOC campsites (anything to avoid a long drop)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

welshrarebit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - My sister & I hired a 6 berth van from Maui in 2003. We spent 3 months travelling around both the North & South Island. I would certainly recommend Maui. If you haven't hired a van before, they are quite easy to handle and drive.
You seem to have got a lot of info from people, but if you want more specific info, do holler!
We had a terrific time. It's the only way to see NZ, I think.