Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

motorbikes/wof and some

motorbikes/wof and some

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute
Default motorbikes/wof and some

Hi, have decided on shipping my bike over. So when it comes out of the container to be checked do I just need to book it in for a wof and get registered on arrival. Or can this be done before hand.
Also, how are they on any mods that have /will be carried out on bikes, if I have the end cans cored out will this have to be declared, not a prob as I have a spare set.
Also, any bike race tracks or track days to be had on the north island, nearish to auckland, or any bike related stuff to do, thanks..
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:34 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: motorbikes/wof and some

When I brought in the duke, MAF had a field day with it, (more money to pay - what a surprise), and I had to sign a document that I wouldn't sell it for a period of a year ( I think).

VTNZ then refused to certify it as it didn't conform to NZ requirements.

Can't remember why - but it didn't go at all well them from the outset. A bunch of job's worth's. I was even made to stand behind the yellow line and not to approach the 'examiner'!

It went from bad to worse, (as she's had a few mods) and in the end they demanded an engineers report

As for track days there is a race track just out of hamiltion, Hampton Downs, I'm sure they do track days. (tricky uphill right hander - wiped out someone last year).

Other than that welcome to NZ - it's one big race track - (just don't get caught)
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

You arrange owt before the bike landed, or just wheeled it out into a hail of woe?
I have a cored set of cans on mine, aint paying for race cans, plus plod over here just notes down the orig stamp on the end cans then looks bemused at the loud noise
Ive seen and read up about having to have engineers reports and a host of other stuff before you ship, bit vague though.
mines a ducati too, best brace myself..
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:54 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

in all honesty, and now knowing what I now know, unless it's an 888 (showing my age I know but what a sweet machine), i'd sell yours back home and buy one out here. They are not as expensive as you'd think. Where as duke tools are!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my GSXR1000 out as I had done loads of work to it. I washed it and sprinkled Jeyes fluid in its general direction before it went in a special crate.

When you land you will receive the machine from MAF if they think it is clean. Then you need to get "compliance" which is different from a WOF. Mine was deemed clean and I rode it without a number plate (bit naughty) to the Suzuki store who did a brakes report on it. You can't get compliance with certain makes of brake discs and pads - mine are actually the OE so it was fine, but you need to produce a brakes report (more dosh).

They did fail is though as it had a full Yoshi race system on it, purchased for me by a mate years ago from a British Superbike team who had it spare..... My lovely hubbie then fitted the OE exhaust, we took it back to VTNZ, who then passed it, and gave it a number plate. We then had a WOF done, and then he put the system back on for me It has passed all WOF's since as noise and emissions are not part of the WOF test.

I apparently run a very slight risk of having the bike impounded for being not compliant if ever caught but it hasn't happened. And to be honest it is quieter than many, many Harleys and other cruisers here.

I brought it over as I knew I would simply buy another one and do all the same things again as it is the bike for me. I had put an Ohlins rear shock on it set up for my weight, and Ohlins springs in the front forks, together with a full Dynojet Power Commander set up on a dyno to match that particular exhaust. These things don't come cheap in NZ.

Hope that helps.

FWIW - I wish I had brought my Fireblade 929 too - I gave it away before emigrating, and you can't get any older ones here

Jan
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:52 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

No we dumped our Blackbird and VTec as they were salt ridden and would not sell well because of it. Want NZ models only......
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If at all possible DONT go to VTNZ, they are the most pedantic jobsworths on the planet.
They tried to say mine needed to be vin tested because the reciept from the dealer with my paperwork was headed
Joe Bloggs motorcycles,
Honda Yamaha, Suzuki.
new and used motorcycles and damaged repairables
their argument was that as it said damaged repairables then all the bikes they sold must be damaged and must be re vinned.....fukwits
It took about an hour of explaining to get them to understand.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:00 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Mine just had a wash, no jeyes fluid etc, and had no problem.
I took my 1200 engine out, put a 1300 in. This slightly confused the inspector, but a quick chat sorted that. I had the UK reg docs which showed I'd done it there. The inspector was VTNz by the way, but with a bike interest. I don't go there anymore though due to a thing with Haze's old car.
Most mods are fine, but why net ebay a standard can and chuck it on til it's registered..
If you can get a certificate of compliance from the manufacturers it makes your life easier this end. I never had one mind, but had no real hassles.
It even passed the brake "check" with oil from a blown fork seal all over the discs.......seems brakes don't have to work to pass!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

End cans look standard, just took the baffles out then put them back together, will do the full core when i get it over there, got a spare totally orig set in the container too, so could bang them on to be safe,.
use mine on daily commute, usually in the rain, but blather it with gt 85, does the trick, no rust no salt good sh*t!
I dont want new, 'cause I know my bike and its straight, thats why I'm sending it over.
So I go to dealer get certificate of compliance, bung it in my crate, maf whip it out at the other end and check paperwork?? Then its up to me to get it to vtnz for a wof then rego??
Then happy days, I think ??
Thanks for your help, am just a tad vague on the bit where it comes out the crate from the maf inspection, they just hand it over??
Thanks again
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No, you get the compliance cert over here,
crate it up and ship it,
maf will check it,
then will need a brake check cert which you get done at any dealer / bike wof place here
then take it for rego and compliance check
bingo you ride it home
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a prob with VTNZ i find the guys in there really good

Neil
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info, much apreciated
Dry ride into work this morn, no wonder there's a hosepipe ban,.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:19 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/impo...ompliance.html