British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Mothers day UK heads up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mothers-day-uk-heads-up-873164/)

MrsFychan Feb 23rd 2016 6:10 pm

Mothers day UK heads up

really early this year. 6th March. so get yourselves organised if you are so inclined.

Pom_Chch Feb 23rd 2016 9:09 pm

Re: Mothers day UK heads up

Oh jeez, thanks for the reminder. The mother in law got very uppity last year when the OH sent a card on NZ mothers day and not UK. She has since put in a request that UK mothers day is what will be acknowledged despite the fact we have been rolling with NZ version for the past 2 years :blink:

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 23rd 2016 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11877255)
Oh jeez, thanks for the reminder. The mother in law got very uppity last year when the OH sent a card on NZ mothers day and not UK. She has since put in a request that UK mothers day is what will be acknowledged despite the fact we have been rolling with NZ version for the past 2 years :blink:

I can understand that. She'll be celebrating it at the same time as other mums in the UK, why would she want to celebrate it at another time :blink:. One of my friend's used to do that too, I used to feel sorry for her mum.

Bo-Jangles Feb 24th 2016 3:11 am

Thanks for the heads up Mrs F - for several years I did maintain the rigmarole of buying a suitable card in advance on NZ Mothers day and saving it for UK mothers day but have finally given up and explained to my mum that it's not always possible.

I tend to get some flowers or gift card from M&S or with suitable message card attached - that way I feel happier to spend more on the item rather than on card and postage anyway.

The Body Shop is another good one for delivery of nice gift packages for Mum's if anyone is stuck for ideas.

Pom_Chch Feb 24th 2016 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11877362)
I can understand that. She'll be celebrating it at the same time as other mums in the UK, why would she want to celebrate it at another time :blink:. One of my friend's used to do that too, I used to feel sorry for her mum.

Sorry, I should elaborate more! It was the fact that we had all happily agreed to do Kiwi mothers day for the past two years and then suddenly last year she got all funny about it. I do Kiwi mothers day for my mum and she loves it - best of both worlds with celebration on UK mothers day from my brothers and a random card and present from me in the year :) My personal opinion (and probably controversial) is that Kiwi mothers day should perfectly suffice. It comes across as ungrateful that we had made the effort to buy her a lovely gift and card and re-mortgage the house to post it off (!) and all we got was a comment that it wasn't on the right day. I am of the opinion that if someone sends me a gift I am grateful, even if it's two months late like my best friend did for my birthday!

Bo-Jangles Feb 24th 2016 3:42 am

I daresay my own MIL would have been equally snippy if I had not observed UK Mothers day on the right day and I think actually I would understand entirely if she were to feel a little put out. I guess most of us would be trying to compensate / over compensate for not being there for our own Mums or at least to keep the peace with our MILS.

I certainly wouldn't want to create any unnecessary bad feelings or awkwardness around the subject and most of our own Mums wouldn't express such a hurt response to their kids but I guess it is a little easier for MILs to get at their DILs, since the responsibility usually falls to us to arrange gifts and cards.

I doubt my MIL would ever have received any gifts or cards if it were left to her son, so she wasn't likely to complain to me anyway. :rofl:

Esme61 Feb 24th 2016 6:00 pm

Must be a lucky Mum- I get to celebrate both UK and NZ but it's usually M&S or Boots as she doesn't like wasting money on postage.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 25th 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11877485)
Sorry, I should elaborate more! It was the fact that we had all happily agreed to do Kiwi mothers day for the past two years and then suddenly last year she got all funny about it. I do Kiwi mothers day for my mum and she loves it - best of both worlds with celebration on UK mothers day from my brothers and a random card and present from me in the year :) My personal opinion (and probably controversial) is that Kiwi mothers day should perfectly suffice. It comes across as ungrateful that we had made the effort to buy her a lovely gift and card and re-mortgage the house to post it off (!) and all we got was a comment that it wasn't on the right day. I am of the opinion that if someone sends me a gift I am grateful, even if it's two months late like my best friend did for my birthday!

Well if that was what you had agreed then she has nothing to moan about then ;).

I do see it from both points of view but I veer towards acknowledging it on the day it is celebrated in that particular country. However, she should be grateful to have such a thoughtful daughter-in-law. Perhaps she might prefer to get absolutely nothing from now on :sneaky::lol:

PS. I'm always happy to receive cards and gifts :scarper:

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 4th 2016 9:32 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Forgot to send a card in time. I was going to write one and get it sent in time but hospital, GP, x-ray and US scans got in the way :(.

I knew I should've sent one with my Moonpig order of flowers and bubbles but I wanted it to have the personal touch. Feeling like a very naughty daughter!

Perhaps I should send a card on NZ Mother's Day!!!!!!! I hear your cries of hypocrisy :lol:

Hazelnut Mar 9th 2016 1:27 pm

I wanted to say thanks for this reminder as I've just celebrated the last mothers day I'll ever have with my mother. She is now on a palliative care pathway with a life expectancy of just days to a month. My father may not survive her long.

I'm so glad everyone on hear talked so much about their elderly parents as we've deliberately spent as much time as possible with them over the last twelve months knowing we may be leaving. If it wasn't for the forum threads about this and our emigrating plans I wouldn't now have so many, many precious memories of time with my parents.

Thank you forum members.