Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most unwelcome IMPORT to NZ

Snaps, your main concern is MAF in NZ by this I mean please follow their guidelines with regard to cleaning camping equipment, outdoor sports gear the list goes on and on and covers many items.

Not much else to add really. The best piece of advice I got regarding packing a container ready for emigrating was bring everything. You can chuck stuff out when you get here. Realistically I had a clear out prior to leaving the uk, basically out and out rubbish that needed to be got rid of.

Also, I made very good use of Freecycle to offload our old BBQ because we agreed to treat ourselves to a new one when we got to NZ. Same for my husband's petrol lawnmower. The bloke that came and collected them was only to grateful. Good karma. Same for other odds and ends that were not really suitable for the charity shop or I had just run out of steam for taking yet more stuff to various charity shops round town.

Once you've cleared customs and the MAF inspection, your personal property is just that. You might regret getting rid of things when you get to NZ. People do. For example, my late father in law always regretted not bringing his car with him to NZ when they emigrated from Scotland in 1966.

It can be little things that are missed because they were useful. I'm not in that position because of the pack everything advice.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 2:55 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You'd never give a pressure cooker to an op shop in New Zealand, those things are like gold dust over there. "Bring Everything To NZ" would make a good name for a shipping company .

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Aug 20th 2012 at 2:56 am. Reason: I'll just go and copywrite that.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:00 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
You'd never give a pressure cooker to an op shop in New Zealand, those things are like gold dust over there. "Bring Everything To NZ" would make a good name for a shipping company .
Gee you have a weird view of NZ EK. There are currently 300 or so of the things on trademe alone. They don't seem terribly expensive.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Aug 20th 2012 at 4:06 am.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:20 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Gee you have a weird view of NZ EK. There are currently 300 or so of the things on trademe alone. They don't seem terribly expensive.
I can tell who does the cooking in your household Waikato!

I hate to keep on pointing these things out my pet but you are mistaken yet again.

You may have got 300 results for "pressure" and "cooker" on trademe but 80 of them are in books and 80 of them are in the Sports section and turn out to be mostly gas burners for camping.

Only 117 hits relate to kitchen.

In those 117 are various gaskets, other spare parts and cookbooks, oh and some pressure cookers too!

This one looks like a real bargain at only $249 on buy now, I'm almost tempted myself. It's direct from their parent company in the UK.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living...-504460972.htm

Retail price in the UK? around 60 quid. Good job I didn't rush in hey?

So I guess the moral here is bring everything because if you don't need it there's always a market for it on trade me .
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:58 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

300 or 100, there's still plenty. So you've highlighted an expensive one from the UK. Well done and congrats on some fine work! Most of them are in the $40-$90 range. You can pick up a brand new Wiltshire Majestic 6L pressure cooker for 85 bucks (trademe). I don't think you'd have any trouble picking up a reasonably priced, decent quality pressure cooker in NZ. Let's put it that way. And you'd ultimately probably save money on shipping costs buying one here.
I know this has got the potential to spiral out of control so there will be no more posts from me on this topic.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Aug 20th 2012 at 6:06 am.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

You will find your pressure cooker useful for soups, stews & mussels. I use massive pots for these.
I take my pots & pans wherever I go,
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
300 or 100, there's still plenty. So you've highlighted an expensive one from the UK. Well done and congrats on some fine work! Most of them are in the $40-$90 range. You can pick up a brand new Wiltshire Majestic 6L pressure cooker for 85 bucks (trademe). I don't think you'd have any trouble picking up a reasonably priced, decent quality pressure cooker in NZ. Let's put it that way. And you'd ultimately probably save money on shipping costs buying one here.
I know this has got the potential to spiral out of control so there will be no more posts from me on this topic.
That's a relief, you were getting so steamed up for a while there old boy that I thought you were going to blow a gasket .

But why bother with shipping costs when you can ship one over for free in a container? You only ever get one chance to import goods duty free into New Zealand, seize the opportunity whilst you've got it.

Snaps. Almost every consumer product in New Zealand is imported, that makes them more expensive and the absence of local competition means there's nothing to keep the costs down. Frugality is the name of the game here, make do and mend, never throw anything away, haggle over every last cent.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Aucklander
You will find your pressure cooker useful for soups, stews & mussels. I use massive pots for these.
I take my pots & pans wherever I go,
I've had mine for years too and I wouldn't part with them. Stainless steel with solid bases all the way, they need to be thick and heavy so the heat doesn't warp them.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW your old pressure cooker would come into its own in the making of a bit of old scrag end and a few veggies into an economical meal. Certainly it would be of far more use to you than any microwave, as you'll likely be forced down the cooking from scratch route, unless of course you're prepared to embraced the Kiwi staples of of sugar laden tinned soups, beans and spaghetti.

People around here would put their granny up for sale if there was a chance to make a buck. We have the annual inorganic rubbish collection which is basically a free-for-all chance to swap your rubbish for someone elses. I am sure most of it ends up on Trademe.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Thanks to everyone for the contributions to this thread, I dare not add anymore thoughts for the time. The replies provided have give me real food for thought, but the pressure cooker has gone to the charity shop and I'm regretting it already. I loved the comment 'People around here would put their granny up for sale if there was a chance to make a buck.' Thanks again.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Pressure Cookers... Really? Aren't they things that old people use?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
Pressure Cookers... Really? Aren't they things that old people use?

Perhaps it is you that is showing your age, the latest entrant in the kitchen gadgetry stakes:

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/ki...rod106044.html
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Perhaps it is you that is showing your age, the latest entrant in the kitchen gadgetry stakes:

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/ki...rod106044.html
Perhaps, but the only people I've ever known to use a Pressure Cooker were my Grandparents (all three sets of them)... I refuse to entertain the thought of having one in the house for that very reason - I ain't that old yet.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:01 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
Perhaps, but the only people I've ever known to use a Pressure Cooker were my Grandparents (all three sets of them)... I refuse to entertain the thought of having one in the house for that very reason - I ain't that old yet.
You can save a lot of time, energy and gas with a pressure cooker ... and I'm not old.

Off topic but how do you get 3 sets of Grandparents?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
You can save a lot of time, energy and gas with a pressure cooker ... and I'm not old.
:-) You all know I'm just playing daft don't you? My wife recently mentioned one and all I could think of (having only seen grandparents using one) was that it was just another sign of us getting older... it'll be some time I'm sure before I relent though :-)

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Off topic but how do you get 3 sets of Grandparents?
  1. Biological Father
  2. Dad (adopted)
  3. Mum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.