Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The most "English" pub in NZ?

The most "English" pub in NZ?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:31 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The most "English" pub in NZ?

Are there any pubs here trying to recreate a little oasis of the UK?

We did stumble across a couple in Auckland. "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" in Takapuna and a pub in Browns bay. All football shirts and yorkshire puds! But it was a bit like a "real English Pub" in Benidorm, out of place and naff.

The Patriot Bar in Devonport was a great place to hang out during the Lions Tours and we had some great night out's there.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:09 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The most "English" pub in NZ?

Originally Posted by Beachcombers

We did stumble across a couple in Auckland. "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" in Takapuna and a pub in Browns bay. All football shirts and yorkshire puds! But it was a bit like a "real English Pub" in Benidorm, out of place and naff.

The Patriot Bar in Devonport was a great place to hang out during the Lions Tours and we had some great night out's there.
Well I didnt come to NZ so i could look for English pubs, because its not England, I prefer there cafe culture and restaurants for a drink more relaxed Love it, so dont even bother to look for English pubs, might as well stayed at home
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:01 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by love30stm
Well I didnt come to NZ so i could look for English pubs, because its not England, I prefer there cafe culture and restaurants for a drink more relaxed Love it, so dont even bother to look for English pubs, might as well stayed at home
Ooooohh, hark at her
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers

You usually find that most 'pubs' here have 'minders' on the doors, so it's very difficult to find a real English Pub' with crowds of inebriated clients tumbling off the pavements into the gutters clutching the last dregs of their bottles to their uncovered tattooed bellies/bosoms.

But give it time- NZ has shown an uncanny knack of following undesirable trends from both the UK and the US of A.

Really sounding my age now- Aw what the hell! I'm going to replenish my glass!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:16 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by jennifer45
You usually find that most 'pubs' here have 'minders' on the doors, so it's very difficult to find a real English Pub' with crowds of inebriated clients tumbling off the pavements into the gutters clutching the last dregs of their bottles to their uncovered tattooed bellies/bosoms.

But give it time- NZ has shown an uncanny knack of following undesirable trends from both the UK and the US of A.

Really sounding my age now- Aw what the hell! I'm going to replenish my glass!
I am great fan of a good Public House and the above description is nothing like any I would frequent (well without a lot of persuasion)
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
I am great fan of a good Public House and the above description is nothing like any I would frequent (well without a lot of persuasion)
How much?

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Evilbert will become famous soon enoughEvilbert will become famous soon enough

Everytime I think of a british pub, all I can think off is the scene in America werewolf in London.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:25 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Evilbert
Everytime I think of a british pub, all I can think off is the scene in America werewolf in London.
Now that looked like a good pub to me.

Well without the pentangle....

...and the Yorkshiremen
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Well I suppose they has beer and pie, and no chavs! Perhaps being bitten by a werewolf is small fry compared to being stabbed by a drunken skinhead lunatic. or beaten up a bouncer.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:30 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Well I suppose they has beer and pie, and no chavs! Perhaps being bitten by a werewolf is small fry compared to being stabbed by a drunken skinhead lunatic. or beaten up a bouncer.
Poor soul, it's never happened to me, it must have been very traumatic for you
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:33 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

The Duke of Wellington (the "Duke") in Dunedin is pretty good, its in an old bank building, good range of british beers and normally English barstaff.

There's a brilliant kebab house just around the corner too, but no decent curry houses within a few blocks.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:35 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by southerner
The Duke of Wellington (the "Duke") in Dunedin is pretty good, its in an old bank building, good range of british beers and normally English barstaff.

There's a brilliant kebab house just around the corner too, but no decent curry houses within a few blocks.
Many a night I have found my way home with the old Kebab Compass

Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ned
Poor soul, it's never happened to me, it must have been very traumatic for you
You haven't lived till a bouncer has pushed you down the stairs and broken your finger, just another reason why I love this great country of ours.....haven't been stabbed by a lunatic yet, but I'm sure I could probably get myself into that much trouble if i tried
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:44 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

You haven't lived till a bouncer has pushed you down the stairs and broken your finger, just another reason why I love this great country of ours.....haven't been stabbed by a lunatic yet, but I'm sure I could probably get myself into that much trouble if i tried
You know that has never happened to me. I can imagine that it has happened in New Zealand more than once. Better keep quiet when you get there, just in case
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ned
You know that has never happened to me. I can imagine that it has happened in New Zealand more than once. Better keep quiet when you get there, just in case
Thankfully I think those days might be behind me now, wife and two kids probably wouldn't let me get that p*****! Plus I can't believe doorman anywhere in the world could be as mental as the one's that seem to make up the UK stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.