Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are most Brit Expats NZ moaners?

Are most Brit Expats NZ moaners?

Old May 20th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default Are most Brit Expats NZ moaners?

Are the British Expats on here the most miserable set of bastards going? I think after reading some of the most recent posts they are. I dont think that half off these people would be happy anywhere. I mean if they hate NZ so much, just piss off and stop making excuses. Stop chasing impossible, unrealistic and stupid dreams. Spend your life being realistic.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are most Brit Expats NZ moaners?

Originally Posted by lizard
Are the British Expats on here the most miserable set of bastards going? I think after reading some of the most recent posts they are. I dont think that half off these people would be happy anywhere. I mean if they hate NZ so much, just piss off and stop making excuses. Stop chasing impossible, unrealistic and stupid dreams. Spend your life being realistic.
Yes, perhaps they/we are.

Many of the immigrants will be from upward successful backgrounds who are used to being assertive and trying to improve things, unlike the general kiwi approach I find which is to let things be, leave well alone and accept mediocrity.

Also many immigrants have probably had a rose tinted view of NZ gained from the media and holidays, and probably had unreasonable expectations when they got here. NZ's clean green image may be realised by mountaineers and trampers, but for us working class its a joke.

Many probably also werent prepared for such a shock of moving from where it all happens to where it doesnt happen.

And to put so much effort into moving round the world only to find quite a few problems that u didnt expect, and perhaps feeling that you cant easily go back - that must be tough.

No excuses, but perhaps some reasons.
Maybe we did chase an unrealistic and stupid dream, but I suppose at least we tried.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are most Brit Expats NZ moaners?

I'm miserable whether I am in the UK, NZ or Oz or anywhere else come to think of it.

Still, mustn't grumble.
Old May 20th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Are most Brit Expats NZ moaners?

There are people on here that would love to go but, they have to think of there immediate family not rellies. I have been out and came back due to family issuse and the love of immedite family and no other.

Its not mostly family pressures, it supid idiots called so called freinds and say you will not meet new friends how wrong can they be. Myself can make a good situation out of a bad one no matter where it be.

So no matter were you go you will always get a winger, so if they want to do it let them it my be there comfort blanket.

Regards

Old May 20th 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yep you are right for most of it. Same sh**t different country unless you make every effort to live the life you dreamed it would be. But then some people like to complain about everything. I am happy here for the time being although get homesick sometimes but we are here now so we have to make the most of it. If I went to Oz or USA I would still have the same feelings. I think the ones here should just be glad they made it - lots would give anything to be here and yes they should go home if they don't like it. Just makes the rest of us feel unsettled with so much negativity that we read.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The golden rules

You improvise. You adapt. You overcome.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Good post Browner , it makes interest reading. I can't understand why some want to hear all the good news all the time, and get upset hearing valid points and criticism. If some get upset and unsettled by this, then how on earth are they to survive any change, never mind emigration.
Old May 20th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem hearing the negative side of the emigration issue - but am very disappointed that things get so personal sometimes,innocent posts get hijacked and an all-out slanging match ensues. OK, so moving didn't work for you, but don't slag the rest off for wanting to give it a go!
(That's 'you' as in the slagger off, not you the previous posters..would have said 'one' but seemed a bit OTT)
Old May 20th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
The golden rules

You improvise. You adapt. You overcome.
Totally - life throws some curve balls sometimes. You either twist to catch them or drop it. Your choice!

I moaned when I got here, it was too hard. After wallowing in self pity on the boards, I realised that no amount of "aw, you poor thing" would solve my problems, so went out and fixed them myself!

We love it here now and can't imagine returning to the UK at all. (except for maybe a mega shopping trip with a lotto win and a large container to bring it all back here in!)
Old May 20th 2008, 7:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Totally - life throws some curve balls sometimes. You either twist to catch them or drop it. Your choice!

I moaned when I got here, it was too hard. After wallowing in self pity on the boards, I realised that no amount of "aw, you poor thing" would solve my problems, so went out and fixed them myself!

We love it here now and can't imagine returning to the UK at all. (except for maybe a mega shopping trip with a lotto win and a large container to bring it all back here in!)
Good girl ...I live in the US ..and in the most transient state
people flock here.. then leave a year later ..cos they don't want to adapt
to a different way ..
Old May 20th 2008, 8:16 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Are the British Expats on here the most miserable set of bastards going? ...

I'm a happy clapper
Old May 20th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I'm a happy clapper

Me too. Love it here.

However, we did a whole lot of homework on where we wanted to live and very much came with the attitude that we would also have to be quite lucky to move to the other side of the world to find a place that really suited us. Been here 18 months and we are still not completely convinced that this particular place is what we want but hey, can always move on.
It would appear to me that some people make possibly the biggest move of their lives without actually doing any background checking. Of coarse it will then be a hell of a shock when they get here to find it isn`t the picture they painted in their heads. I personally have no pity for these people. I wouldn`t have moved to a different town in the UK without checking the place out so find it amazing that people can move to another country just based upon the fact they got a visa and fancy something different (generalisation). I have met some expats who have done just that.
The move here is a massive step. The opinions on here (expats) are nearly all based on experience so you will get some pretty raw opinions. I, personally choose to ignore some of the rantings as disagreeing based on my experiences doesn`t change their experiences. All in all , if you can take a measured view of all that is said on here then I believe that best to hear it all, good and bad.
A kiwi mate said to me the other day " How can you tell when a plane full of Pomms arrives at Auckland Airport".............."cos when they turn off the engines you can stii hear the whining"
His opinion not mine.
Ash
Old May 20th 2008, 9:35 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps in addition to very real concerns faced by people another feature/aspect of the site is it also allows people to 'vent' in a way that, if they were to do it in a general workplace or with other (kiwi?) friends it would come across as moaning. Or, if they are doing it with their real life friends and work colleagues that could explain some of the attitudes they face...

Much the same way that when kiwis go to the Uk they complain about the cr*p food, tv (excluding BBC and the docos...i'm talking about Channel 4 et al), high cost of living, clothes seem to be made to have various wobbly bits hanging out etc. Oh yes, I can see coffee being splurted out over computer screens now.

But my point is, except for those people who truly do not like it here (for whatever the reasons) everyone needs a place to vent and the more important feature And to let other people know the problems - to remind them to take off the rose coloured lenses so that they don't hate it or (or, they have the capacity to leave) really start to resent coming.

I dunno, just some more random stream of consciousness babbling from a slightly tired and procrastinating-from-work kiwiprincess.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:40 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Kiwis complain about British TV? Really?
It's pretty much the same stuff on most channels isn't it? With less annoying adverts.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:45 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Kiwis complain about British TV? Really?
It's pretty much the same stuff on most channels isn't it? With less annoying adverts.
Personally i couldn't believe the amount of dross on the free to air channels - again excluding BBC but even that had some pearlers. Not saying it doesn't happen here (because i would be smoking P to think otherwise) but yep. Seriously a bad level of awful awful shows.

The only really fun part is you can see the bad shows before they come back to NZ telly in a few years!

Not saying there wasnt great shows by any means. Just that there was also a lot of free to air rubbish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.