British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   mosquitos (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/mosquitos-374370/)

waynepfry May 18th 2006 8:21 pm

mosquitos

hi first time for me in the forum

my name is jane not good on a computer, can u tell - will get better. The other thing I'm not good with is mosquitos. We have a love/hate relationship. They love me I hate them. Are there many in New Zealand - especially near Auckland? I need to lose weight but not by being eaten alive! :scared:

thebears May 18th 2006 8:43 pm

Re: mosquitos

Originally Posted by waynepfry

my name is jane not good on a computer, can u tell - will get better. The other thing I'm not good with is mosquitos. We have a love/hate relationship. They love me I hate them. Are there many in New Zealand - especially near Auckland? I need to lose weight but not by being eaten alive! :scared:

Eat marmite - this is a Maori trick and works well. They are deterred by the smell that comes through the skin.

Living close to the coast and away from still water also helps.

Kiwi

waynepfry May 18th 2006 9:12 pm

Cheers for the advice :) - planning to live near the coast and will steer clear of still water. Hate marmite though but 2 out of 3 ain't bad! They really do love me though - hope there aren't as many as there are in Greece!!!! :(

SarahB May 19th 2006 2:33 am

We definately had a bigger mossie problem where we lived in the UK compared to where we are in Auckland.

Its not them you wanna worry about..... its the sand flies.... now they ARE evil!
:D

planty May 19th 2006 9:56 am

Originally Posted by thebears
Eat marmite - this is a Maori trick and works well. They are deterred by the smell that comes through the skin.

Living close to the coast and away from still water also helps.

Kiwi

Isn't it something to do with the vitamin B that's in Marmite?

You should be able to get the vitamin B substitute at the chemist, could be worth a try. :)

mumomonty May 19th 2006 11:19 am

take vitamin b complex. Mossies NEVER touch me.

Toppa May 19th 2006 12:37 pm

You can buy repellent and also get a plug in device for the home.

waynepfry May 21st 2006 6:25 pm

hi sarah
sorry its taken so long thanks 4 the advice. sand flies are another pet hate they love me 2 !!!!!!!! god help me .
lived in africa 4 two years and had maleria only once .
had a family holiday in menorca and spent 5 days in bed when a bloody sand fly - got any advice now on how i can survive with gods creatures who want to drain the life out of me? :eek:

waynepfry May 21st 2006 6:32 pm

]
thanks will take them by the dozen!!!!!!!!

SarahB May 21st 2006 7:48 pm

hi sarah
sorry its taken so long thanks 4 the advice. sand flies are another pet hate they love me 2 !!!!!!!! god help me .
lived in africa 4 two years and had maleria only once .
had a family holiday in menorca and spent 5 days in bed when a bloody sand fly - got any advice now on how i can survive with gods creatures who want to drain the life out of me? :eek:

Sandflies dont seem to bit through sun cream so just plaster yourself. I got bit loads of times before and had some quite bad reactions to the bites then OH told me off for not having sun cream on..... it works a treat. I can sit on the beach when the tides just gone out and all the flies are out and they wont bite through the cream.... there you go..... no worries now.... youll be fine!!!

What make me cringe is when I watch Survivor and some of the people are simply covered all over in nasty red bites.....omg that would drive me nuts!