Mortgages

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Where on earth are you seeing houses for under $310k?!?
Dunedin?

Hansel and Gretel have left the buildings
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snow_Angel
I do have a 15% deposit (but could be 20% by time I'm thinking of "taking the plunge") but I'd rather keep my house price sub $300,000 for security of savings/unexpected expenses etc. I've not looked into Invercargill - I'll have a read about it. Thank you.
Perfect timing for you as the crest has now been breached and the new cycle begins.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Where on earth are you seeing houses for under $310k?!?
This is an amazing home. Not a bad area either. If someone was in healthcare and had a job at the hospital this probably must be the bargain of the year; okay its gonna be a job to heat it in the winter BUT the winters are getting warmer as the world comes to an end eh?

Spacious villa ready for a new family - below GV | Trade Me Property
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:29 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
This is an amazing home. Not a bad area either. If someone was in healthcare and had a job at the hospital this probably must be the bargain of the year; okay its gonna be a job to heat it in the winter BUT the winters are getting warmer as the world comes to an end eh?

It's auction with an asking price of $295 so I wouldn't include that in <$300, unless NZ's market has begun the reversal ...
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's auction with an asking price of $295 so I wouldn't include that in <$300, unless NZ's market has begun the reversal ...

Even in Whanganui I doubt houses are selling for less than RV ($340k)
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Daisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an auction - it has an asking price so they want offers.
Auctions don't have prices mentioned. The point of an auction is to get as high as people will go without giving any advance indication of the reserve.

Does seem cheap but I know nothing about property in that part of NZ.

Last edited by Daisy616; Mar 3rd 2017 at 9:20 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Snow_Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
Finding "prices" for properties is very different to the UK. In UK you get a price and then you try and negotiate (usually lower) around asking price.

Here it depends on the area, but usually you'll see an RV which is not especially linked to the price the vendor wants for it. In fact trying to even find an asking price can sometimes be challenging. You are expected to do the research and come up with your own valuation. For instance, here in the Wellington region some properties are going for 50% + above RV. I should think it's even more in Auckland. In the SI however things might be a little more relaxed with regards to price??
That seems like a bizarre way to do business. Or maybe it's genius as it pumps up the house prices and benefits the sellers and real estate agents. Either way it sounds like hard work!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
My guess.......Stewart Island
I haven't looked at Stewart Island from a research or work point of view but it looks like heaven! A bit like living on the Shetland islands or Orkneys. Maybe a bit too remote even for me!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Some new UK migrants just arrived here in Tauranga on a 3 year temporary work visa and they attempted to buy a section within a few weeks of landing here, even before he'd started in the job he'd been offered and the bank more than happy to lend them money for a mortgage straight away.
Another couple we know have also just gone down the mortgage application track on a new property out Omokoroa way and were offered a 95% mortgage but with a higher % interest rate due to the additional risk for the lender.
Is Tauranga an 'undesirable' area? I'm happy with semi-rural - close to outdoors, National parks etc but want to avoid areas where crime is an issue. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the UK but I guess a good example would be - I'd be happy to live near the Brecon Beacons (out of my price range in the U.K. sadly) but wouldn't want to live in Merthyr Tydfil!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Charismatic
There are two basic affordability criteria:
- LVR: Banks must do only 5% of their lending at over 80% LVR so its unlikely you'll get approved if you don't have a 20% deposit.
- Income: Banks use two main approaches and vary by bank (which is why one bank may say no and another yes) which they either calculate using previous expenses or estimate your living expenses (which can be wildly different depending on your penchant for luxury or frugality). They will then ask "If interest rates rise to X (X being 7-9% right now, called a "testing rate") how much could this person afford repayments on given their income and normal expenses?

Generally for first time buyers LVR is a tougher hurdle but for older buyers the income side will limit lending.
Thank you. I'm more on the frugal end of the spectrum definitely so hopefully that would go in my favour.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Wow. It is beautiful but definitely too big for 1 person. Why difficult to heat? Size of property or insulation? I've read somewhere that NZ houses are really poorly insulated and mostly single glazed. Do they not have double glazing in New Zealand?!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
Dunedin?

Hansel and Gretel have left the buildings
All the places I have looked at in Dunedin (bar a few brick buildings in my price range) have looked like wooden huts. I understand from reading about NZ property generally that they have single glazing mostly and are poorly insulated a lot of the time.

Incidentally you may laugh, but I did used to live in an old wooden farmer's house in Switzerland for a year! (Hence the Snow_Angel user name....I worked there in the ski season skiing and Summer hiking). Alps wooden huts are amazingly warm though - Swiss efficiency at its best!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

The price is $295k firm. Not an auction. Its cheap cos its huge (very limited market for such immense homes), it will be expensive to heat and maintain and whilst the area is not that bad it is not the best area of Wanganui. No matter how you look at this it is a bargain (unless it has a big problem like a new roof needed or subsidance). But so is a 2005 Rolls Royce for about $65k ($350k new), but not many people want one and they cost a lot to run.

Personally its the type of place I would buy. I love this type of home and like something different! And I like a bargain.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snow_Angel
Wow. It is beautiful but definitely too big for 1 person. Why difficult to heat? Size of property or insulation? I've read somewhere that NZ houses are really poorly insulated and mostly single glazed. Do they not have double glazing in New Zealand?!
Heating will be expensive cos of high ceilings, the enormity of the home and the fact that it indeed will not be d/glazed and it probably wont have much insulation under the floor or in the roof.

Central heating is very rare here in NZ. As is d/glazing. Only new builds have d/glazing generally, unless it has been retro fitted.

Way too many houses are really of a shed like construction. They look really trashy and they have all kinds of issues around cold, damp and mold.

You really want to get a home that has HRV. It is a simple sytem that circulates the air around the home thus eliminatining much of the dampness that naturally occurs in homes.

You can have a system installed for about 4k in an average home. You also should get a home with a log burner. They are amazing and really turn a house into a home!! They are about 5-7k fitted.

You also MUST get your home insulated top and bottom. 150sq m home will cost around 5k to get done, obviously MUCH cheaper if you do it your self.

It is also a really good idea to run a dehumidifier in your home. They are cheap to buy (2nd hand even cheaper obviously), quiet and cheap to run.

Personally I would not advise getting a 'heat pump'. I find the heat given off by them kind of unpleasant and I really find the atmosphere hard to breath when one is on (had one in the last bach I rented..bloody horrible thing)! Heat from a log burner is far more appealing and easy to live with IMO from an esthetic point of view.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:52 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

The price is $295k firm. Not an auction.
Whoops, my apologies - not sure where I got that idea!

A do-upper of that size could easily cost a couple of hundred thousand in renovations though.

Also, I note that Gonville primary is decile 2. Now I am the first to be critical of using decile to select a school but below about 3/4 I am wary. It will be a relatively economically deprived area (locally speaking) within a relatively economically deprived area (nationally speaking). Suddenly not looking like such a bargain. If I was established in Whanganui and confident of the area and had the cash to buy it plus inject in renos (note how few rooms are shown ...) I might consider it as it is beautiful and I love period homes BUT considering it reasonably it is not the sort of house to offer up as an example of the wonderful lifestyle on offer for buyers with sub-$300k budgets, imo ( <--- note the final caveat).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.